Thread: Restoring Previous OS ?

Lifetime Member

Default Restoring Previous OS ?

When I did the custom OS install, I tried restoring the saved factory OS(full reflash). Then I connected the handheld tuner that came with the Radix kit. Seems that it no longer recognizes the PCM(I get an error message stating that I need to contact Mag to update the tuner).

I assume then that that PCM has not been restored exactly to it's original state. There must be some check that does not agree with what the dedicated handheld has stored. Is this correct?
    2017 Camaro SS, 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 6.7L, 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4̶X̶4̶(now 2WD), 5870lb race weight, 10.93@ 124, Twin TVS1900s, Twin Throttle, 429 LSX, 4L80E, custom 14 bolt rear, V2, R̶o̶a̶d̶R̶u̶n̶n̶e̶r̶(dead), COS3......
    Gettin' the Groceries

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

EFILive will restore it exactly.

Have you manually changed the VIN (or the BCC) in the PCM? EFILive will not restore that information during a full reflash.

Is it possible you altered any settings in the PCM using EFILive prior to saving the version you "restored"? If that is the case then those initial alterations may be responsible for the hand-held unit not recognising the PCM.

Did any reflash failures occur during the full reflash of either the custom OS or the restored OS? If so, PCM identifying data may have be lost, EFILive takes a "best guess" at replacing that data.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky
    EFILive will restore it exactly.

Have you manually changed the VIN (or the BCC) in the PCM? EFILive will not restore that information during a full reflash.

Is it possible you altered any settings in the PCM using EFILive prior to saving the version you "restored"? If that is the case then those initial alterations may be responsible for the hand-held unit not recognising the PCM.

Did any reflash failures occur during the full reflash of either the custom OS or the restored OS? If so, PCM identifying data may have be lost, EFILive takes a "best guess" at replacing that data.

RegardsPaul
    I don't recall any failures during the full reflashes.

The VIN and BCC have never been altered.

Since the "restore previous OS" attempt I have applied the recent updates to V7.3. Now EFILive also gives me an "Unrecognized PCM" message when I attempt to open the original tun file. The correct VIN and BCC are shown but no cal data is loaded. So now it is not even possible to do a full reflash of the original OS.
    2017 Camaro SS, 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 6.7L, 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4̶X̶4̶(now 2WD), 5870lb race weight, 10.93@ 124, Twin TVS1900s, Twin Throttle, 429 LSX, 4L80E, custom 14 bolt rear, V2, R̶o̶a̶d̶R̶u̶n̶n̶e̶r̶(dead), COS3......
    Gettin' the Groceries

Quote Originally Posted by DrX
    Since the "restore previous OS" attempt I have applied the recent updates to V7.3. Now EFILive also gives me an "Unrecognized PCM" message when I attempt to open the original tun file. The correct VIN and BCC are shown but no cal data is loaded. So now it is not even possible to do a full reflash of the original OS.
    Delete ALL the *.cal files from the folder:
    \Program files\EFILive\V7\Calibrations

Then re-reun EFILive V7.3.0 installation and select the [Repair] option. That will reinstall the latest calbration files from the V7.3.0 installation.

Regards
    Paul

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky
    [Delete ALL the *.cal files from the folder:
    \Program files\EFILive\V7\Calibrations

Then re-reun EFILive V7.3.0 installation and select the [Repair] option. That will reinstall the latest calbration files from the V7.3.0 installation.

Regards
    Paul
    I downloaded the 7.3 installer(I had done the manual install previously). There was no repair option. After the install/repair I now have the missing B3647 issue again. But I can open my original tune. I think that these are the same .cal files that I had when I tried the previous full reflash(i.e. B3647 was still missing at that time).
    Gettin' the Groceries

Make sure you have the latest calibration files, check the *.cal file's date and version when you first open a *.tun file. The version must be V7.74 or later and the date Nov 13 2005 or later.

See image.

Regards
    Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	calv.png 
Views:	222 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	282  

Quote Originally Posted by DrX
    I downloaded the 7.3 installer(I had done the manual install previously). There was no repair option. After the install/repair I now have the missing B3647 issue again. But I can open my original tune. I think that these are the same .cal files that I had when I tried the previous full reflash(i.e. B3647 was still missing at that time).
    Now that V7.3.0 is installed, perform the delete/repair option I explained above.
    Because we provided the *.cal files as seperate downloads and not part of the V7.2 install, V7.3 will not overwrite them. That is because the installer does not recognise the *.cal files as part of any previous install and it chooses not to overwrite them. So you need to delete them manually and then install or re-install and select [Repair] to force the correct *.cal files to be installed.

Regards
    Paul

Lifetime Member

Oops! I guess B3647 shouldn't have been there because I had the GM OS original *.tun file opened at the time. Must be paranoid about that. I can open all of my *.tun files now with no error messages.

I will try the restore again tomorrow.

Thanks
    Gettin' the Groceries