Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LS3 E38 question

Default LS3 E38 question

I have a 2008 C6 Corvette Automatic with an LS3 engine and I have ordered the EFI Live Flash scan tool and I'm going to load a new tune from a reputable tuner into my car. But I have a question before I do. The tuner tells me that I can save the original tune and reload it into the ECM and GM will never know it was changed. But some folks on the Corvette forum are saying there is some sort of "flash counter" in the ECM that can't be erased that GM can look at and see the number of times the ECM has been flashed, and that they may void my powertrain warranty if they see the ECM has been reflashed.

I just would like to know what I am getting into before I commit to the tune, and I hoping someone here can give me the straight story. I believe the ECM is an e38, though I'm not sure I know where to look to verify this. "Under the hood" doesn't tell me much, as I can't physically see the ECM since it's behind and under the battery.

Is there indeed a non-resettable flash counter of some sort, and if so, can I circumvent the problem by buying another ECM and flashing it and leaving the stock one alone and putting on the shelf, or is there a counter of some sort in the transmission module too that will tattle tale on me?

Any and all advice would be appreciated. If I can retain my powertrain warranty, I really would like to do so.
    Last edited by C6Guy; May 6th, 2010 at 02:45 PM.

Lifetime Member

You do have an E38 ECM and a T43 TCM.

There is indeed a way for GM to tell if the CVN (Calibration Verification Number) has been altered by means other than a GM dealer flash. A flash counter has been rumored, I havent seen any screenshots of a Tech II showing it though.

You can simply buy another ECM and flash it, thats what I did on my 08 TBSS. However, your TCM is built into the trans so if you want to tune your trans, you're either going for it or not. Honestly though, not tuning the TCM means your car wont run 100%, a LOT of driveability comes out of a solid trans tune.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Yes, I was planning on having the transmission tuned as well, as the tune I bought is an inclusive system for both engine and trans.

I guess I was hoping there was some way to cover up the tracks if the car was returned to stock.

Lifetime Member

You can try to reflash the stock tune back in, but there's no guaranteed the CVNs will match properly.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

I'm told the CVN will be the same, but what I really want to know about, is if there is a RE-FLASH COUNTER in the ECM that is going to show how many times it has been reflashed.

Surely someone here knows the answer to this.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by C6Guy View Post
    I'm told the CVN will be the same, but what I really want to know about, is if there is a RE-FLASH COUNTER in the ECM that is going to show how many times it has been reflashed.

Surely someone here knows the answer to this.
    Well there's no guarantee even the CVNs will appear stock, I believe it has to do with how many digits of precision there are in the ECM. Yes the flash counter will increment as well.
    ~Erik~

in the tech/TIS read out it shows you who was the last person to write to the ecu... has the dealer number etc... so i guess they can tell it aint a dealer that flashed it last time
    ---------------------------
    E38's got to love them
    E40's hate 'em

LS1's is there anything it wont work on

Holden VE SSV - GEN46L

www.ultimateconversionwiring.com.au

www.dualflash.com.au

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by doubledip View Post
    in the tech/TIS read out it shows you who was the last person to write to the ecu... has the dealer number etc... so i guess they can tell it aint a dealer that flashed it last time
    Is that a new function in 09 or 10 or has it been there for some time? Like back to 06 E38's and even E40's?

I would have to check to 100% certain but i am 99% certain has always been there.. I am sure it has the dongle code as well of who flashed it.. and the dongles are registered to each dealership
    ---------------------------
    E38's got to love them
    E40's hate 'em

LS1's is there anything it wont work on

Holden VE SSV - GEN46L

www.ultimateconversionwiring.com.au

www.dualflash.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by doubledip View Post
    I would have to check to 100% certain but i am 99% certain has always been there.. I am sure it has the dongle code as well of who flashed it.. and the dongles are registered to each dealership
    I really do appreciate all the help. I'd just like to find out for sure exactly how the dealerships can check the ECM to see if it has been flashed. I've heard at five different stories now, and some claim they can't and other claim they can, and I just would like to get to the real truth of how the E38 works and what exactly is stored in it that can't be erased or changed.

If there is someone here who really understands how the E38 works and can explain it, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by C6Guy; May 9th, 2010 at 02:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast