Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand filters

Default New Zealand filters

Don't know if anyone knows or cares but you are being censored in New Zealand .
    It has started , government take over of the web .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    Don't know if anyone knows or cares but you are being censored in New Zealand .
    It has started , government take over of the web .
    What do you mean?
    1. The NZ Government is installing 'Net filtering.
    2. The NZ Filters are already causing problems for the "EFILive" site?

If it's the first, then as mr.prick says, it's nothing new. In fact, just about every government in the "free world" already does filtering, they just don;t tell you about it. I did a fairly long post about it over at http://www.ls1.com.au but the basic "gist" of it is...

• Governments have been actively monitoring and blocking web activity for a very long time. I've actually submitted known malware web sites to AusCERT and the AU Federal Police for blocking at the country gateways.
    • The new filtering systems are to be more "reactive" and "automated", but basically doing the same thing. They are aimed at "illegal" content.
    • People get upset because they don't understand what is going on and the government spokes-people are not much better.

My view on it is that while the government is trying to do the right thing and protect people ( which is why we have rules and laws in the first place ) the "filter solution" is a very problematic one. Like many other rules, it will only prevent people from getting content that they don't want. People that want this content, will work out ways around it.

Simon.

It's just a good thing that those in government don't actually run real businesses, we would still be in the stone age if they did. Another example of total waste of tax payers money.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by swingtan View Post
    What do you mean?
    1. The NZ Government is installing 'Net filtering.
    2. The NZ Filters are already causing problems for the "EFILive" site?

If it's the first, then as mr.prick says, it's nothing new. In fact, just about every government in the "free world" already does filtering, they just don;t tell you about it. I did a fairly long post about it over at http://www.ls1.com.au but the basic "gist" of it is...

• Governments have been actively monitoring and blocking web activity for a very long time. I've actually submitted known malware web sites to AusCERT and the AU Federal Police for blocking at the country gateways.
    • The new filtering systems are to be more "reactive" and "automated", but basically doing the same thing. They are aimed at "illegal" content.
    • People get upset because they don't understand what is going on and the government spokes-people are not much better.

My view on it is that while the government is trying to do the right thing and protect people ( which is why we have rules and laws in the first place ) the "filter solution" is a very problematic one. Like many other rules, it will only prevent people from getting content that they don't want. People that want this content, will work out ways around it.

Simon.
    Yeah was one of the original posters of the first content filtering .
    No , some people don't understand , give a Government a rein and they will corrupt it and use it to tax you with later on .
    You think a Government will keep you safe , you are daft , I feel for you and wish you luck , now I know why they can get away with it .
    And yes it is a fact and has been so for years , Big Brother watches . "Cookies" are , if you don't remove them they are little tracking devices , of course you need them for some content .
    And the last line of the statement , is exactly what is said about China's filtering , didn't know New Zealand was Marxist/Communist !
    Sorry but this does effect more than just New Zealand .
    Censorship : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship
    Last edited by Chevy366; March 15th, 2010 at 07:57 AM.
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Quote Originally Posted by mr.prick View Post
    Forgot to post link : http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...nd-filters-web
    Moot point now .
    2006 Trailblazer

I heard the filter only blocks sites that say "All Blacks loose rugby match", anything else gets through.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    I heard the filter only blocks sites that say "All Blacks loose rugby match", anything else gets through.
    Well that quote will effectively block Blacky from this site.
    The Tremor at AIR

512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

Well, government needs to waste money as best they can, be it on Internet Filters, unemployment benefits to people who have no intention of getting a job, foreign aid to corrupt governments, it's not like they are wasting their own money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast