Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8.1ltr question's???

Exclamation 8.1ltr question's???

Is the 8.1ltr engine harness the same as a 6.0 harness(1999-2006)? The motor is a 2002 8.1... This is my first time dealing with a 8.1ltr. Does it have coil on plug? Does it us the LS type PCM? Is it Drive by Cable or Drive by Wire?
    For some reason I keep thinking it's the Big Black Box Vortec type controlled engine...

Im going to work on it this week. Just curious as to what I can expect...
    Last edited by GAMEOVER; May 16th, 2010 at 03:39 PM.
    2008 2WD Ext.Cab Silverado 1500 6.0 V-MAX E38(L76) & T42(4L70E) MAF Only CL Corvette Servo AFE CAI INNOVATIVE LM-2 WBO2

FLASHSCAN V2 & AUTOCAL

What to expect? Expect it to be very sensitive to KR and timing adjustments under cruise conditions. 180* T-stat helps some with that.

1) The engine harness's are similar but not identical. KS locations are different and a couple other sensors use different connectors.

2) Yes they're all coil near plug.

3) Will be DBW for sure if it's in a pickup.

4) They use the standard issue LS1B controller same as a 4.8,5.3, 6.0 etc.

Thanks Big Mike...
    2008 2WD Ext.Cab Silverado 1500 6.0 V-MAX E38(L76) & T42(4L70E) MAF Only CL Corvette Servo AFE CAI INNOVATIVE LM-2 WBO2

FLASHSCAN V2 & AUTOCAL

throttle body's use different connectors....some ECM pinouts are different. Easier to just get an 8.1 harness IMO.
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Quote Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
    throttle body's use different connectors....some ECM pinouts are different. Easier to just get an 8.1 harness IMO.
    Really...

FLASHSCAN V2 & AUTOCAL

Can the 8.1 Drive-By-Wire be converted to Drive-By-Cable? If Not, I really need a 8.1 engine harness that includes the injector & Coil SUB harness along with the TAC Module(with firewall harness) and of course Pedal....All the sensor's are there but no wiring at all...

FLASHSCAN V2 & AUTOCAL

Anyone got a link who deals with 8.1ltr harness's?

FLASHSCAN V2 & AUTOCAL

Quote Originally Posted by GAMEOVER View Post
    Can the 8.1 Drive-By-Wire be converted to Drive-By-Cable? If Not, I really need a 8.1 engine harness that includes the injector & Coil SUB harness along with the TAC Module(with firewall harness) and of course Pedal....All the sensor's are there but no wiring at all...
    yes, it can. Ive done it. Its a PITA and not worth the effort, considering drive by wire works perfectly fine.

I have never heard of anyone else doing it though, so I was kind of flying blind. There was an 8.1 swap in an offroad jeep here that I was hired to get running. Several harness guys/tuners and GM "master tech's" tried and couldnt make it work (convert this 8.1 to DBC). I tried to convince the guy building the jeep to just run the freakin thing DBW but he was stubborn and didnt want anything to do with it.

I got it running using a combination of a 6.0 and 8.1 harness and 6.0 DBC operating system in a 512k PCM. I had to make the tune basically from scratch, and repin the connectors on the PCM. I also had to use 6.0 O2 sensors (8.1 O2 sensors WILL NOT WORK on a 6.0 PCM/OS) and run modified O2 sensor tables in the tune as well......

IMO just run drive by wire.

ben
    12.9s @ 108 mph

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
    yes, it can. Ive done it. Its a PITA and not worth the effort, considering drive by wire works perfectly fine.

I have never heard of anyone else doing it though, so I was kind of flying blind. There was an 8.1 swap in an offroad jeep here that I was hired to get running. Several harness guys/tuners and GM "master tech's" tried and couldnt make it work (convert this 8.1 to DBC). I tried to convince the guy building the jeep to just run the freakin thing DBW but he was stubborn and didnt want anything to do with it.

I got it running using a combination of a 6.0 and 8.1 harness and 6.0 DBC operating system in a 512k PCM. I had to make the tune basically from scratch, and repin the connectors on the PCM. I also had to use 6.0 O2 sensors (8.1 O2 sensors WILL NOT WORK on a 6.0 PCM/OS) and run modified O2 sensor tables in the tune as well......

IMO just run drive by wire.

ben
    Wow, thats a lot of work when he could have just had you stick an ETC pedal assembly into the Jeep and be done with it.

But you pulled it off, pretty darn cool.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Like I said, I tried convincing him a bunch of times.

Im not afraid of drive by wire! I love it. I use it in my own offroad buggy with has a Gen III LSx in it... Its (DBW) awesome in my buggy, if only for the fact that my buggy has the engine in the rear, and a 16 foot long throttle cable would have been clunky/sticky as hell.

Ben
    12.9s @ 108 mph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast