Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2000 S-10 0411 Question

Default 2000 S-10 0411 Question

I put a 1998 5.7 Vortec into my 2000 S-10. I decide to upgrade to the 0411 computer, and thanks to Lextech, the swap went very well. The truck started on the first try Friday night, and it was awesome!

I got all the usual stuff. I had to wire the fuel gauge return when the fuel gauge didn't work, and I have to do the crank relearn, but I may have an unusual problem.

My truck has a digital PRNDL in the instrument cluster that doesn't seem to function anymore. The PRNDL shows up, but the box that surrounds the gear selection doesn't show anymore.

The shop manual for the S-10 says this occurs when the Class2 Serial data from the PCM does not return the value of the gear selection you have currently selected. Using the EFI program, I can see on the dashboard that the computer does indeed know what gear it's in, and the truck drives fine. It shifts through the gears, and the torque converter locks down appropriately. I just don't have an indication of what gear I'm in.

I should also note that the instructions from Lextech said I needed to splice the wires from the Neutral Safety switch to the PCM, but my truck had the circuits already in existence, unlike the wiring diagram, so I just ran those to the PCM and put them in C1 and C2 as instructed. I just assumed that maybe my truck was built in transition to the new style of PN Safety switch, so I was lucky and already had those circuits.

However, the shop manual for the 2002 Express shows that the 4 circuits that determine what gear you are in (P,A,B,C) splice out after the connector, and attach directly to the Instrument Panel Cluster.

Have any of you had similar issues with the PRNDL not working after upgrading your 0411 with the stock 4.3? Or even better, has anyone had problems after swapping to the 5.7?

Sorry for the long post. I appreciate any feedback anyone can give.

Thanks.

What base file are you using the 2002 Blazer or Express Van? If you are using the Van, try the 2002 Blazer and see if the cluster will work. Check the vehicle platform configurations, that may help.
    Al
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

Lifetime Member

Im with Al, try using a Blazer base file and run that. There are things deep in each OS that EFILive doesnt have access to that can cause weird small issues like this.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Thanks guys. I've thought about trying that, but since I have the 5.7 V8, that can't be a permanent solution. I'll need to keep using the 02 Express file if I want to run the engine.
    I'll read the manual for EFI for flashing the computer, and I'll give that a try.
    If the 4.3 flash works, does anyone have any ideas how to get the PRNDL to work with the Express? I've actually already done a compare of 02 S-10 and 02 Express files, and nothing in EFI said anything about the PRNDL.
    Thanks.

Lifetime Member

Yep I guess so, cant use a 4.3L V6 file as its a V6 not a V8.

Just because EFILive says the calibrations are identical means the parameters EFILive has access to is identical, not the actual OS and other parameters not visible to us. Just like F-bodies have different OS features than a Vette, same goes for a Blazer vs a truck or SUV or F-body.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

I did a similar swap in my '02 GMC Highrider ZR2. I put a crate 5.7L Vortec in it and it is currently my DD and has almost 25K on it.

I recall the same issue with mine and another persons PCM I tuned that did the swap. What I did was use ONLY the engine segment from the '02 Express van and copied that into the '02 S10 truck tune file. Then flash that '02 S10 file with the new engine segment into your PCM.

Essentially, the only thing you are changing is the engine and everything else will run as stock like when the V6 was in there.

Works prefect for me....

Lifetime Member

bvd80, I was just thinking about this as well!

To lowriders10, take your S10 file and do a segment swap for the Express Van Engine segment. You'll keep all the S10 OS features but be able to run the V8 motor without issue. As bvd said, you need to use 02 S10 and Express Van tunes to make this work, looks like you're all set on the Van side so grab an S10 file, do a seg swap, and full flash your PCM.
    ~Erik~

Thanks guys! I will give this a try, but it seems to be the right thing to do! Much appreciated!

Lifetime Member

No problem, if you need a hand with the seg swap I can help you out. Post the S10 and Van tunes here, I wont copy your tune over (that'd just be too easy for you! ) but I can do the seg swap if you cant get it done.
    ~Erik~

Thanks Erik. I'm going to try to do the seg swap myself first, but if I have any problems, I'll ask some questions. I'll likely do it in a couple weeks; I'm just finishing up some small details on the swap. I just got the engine running Friday, but I still have a list of things to do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast