Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop TCC unlock when coasting?

Lifetime Member

Default Stop TCC unlock when coasting?

4L80E, when in 4th and the converter locked if you let up on the throttle even slightly the converter unlocks then a second later it locks again when giving it some gas. Any way to stop it? What should I change to help? With my loose converter it's real annoying to have it unlock letting the RPM's jump then drop back down again.

BTW, the TCC unlock in 4th and 3rd MPH is way lower then actual MPH so I don't think it's a MPH setting...

Lee

230" Dragster - 2000 LS1, 02020003 Speed Density, PRC 2.5 Heads,
    MS3 Cam 237/242 .603/.609, Vic Jr. intake, Holley 1000CFM TB,
    PowerGlide, 5000 stall converter. 8.70@154 MPH

My Projects Homepage: http://www.horsepowerracing.com

Hi Lee,

4L80E segment seems to inherently do that...

4L60E segment from F/Y-car keeps it locked.

Forum member slow67 didn't like this, so he is using a 4L60E segment to drive a 4L80E transmission.

Lifetime Member

Its a truck OS thing, all truck OSs regardless of 60E or 80E do this. Annoys the crap outta me on my 02 TB, I run a pretty aggressive ramp up rate to try and have it lock as fast as possible, but its still annoying.

For the SS and all T42s, you can get around it by running a car OS in the TCM. Not sure you can do it in a LS1 as the platform options might be different, but who knows. Unfortunately, there were no cars with 80Es and doing a seg swap of an 80E trans seg to a car OS will keep the truck OS issue. Boo.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

It is possible to run the car 4L60E segment to drive a 4L80E... the TCC PWM has to be driven by the TCC Enable signal, and a relay is needed to invert one of the shift solenoid signals.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    It is possible to run the car 4L60E segment to drive a 4L80E... the TCC PWM has to be driven by the TCC Enable signal, and a relay is needed to invert one of the shift solenoid signals.

Hi Joe, I might be completely wrong here, but if he is running an after market stall with a heavy duty clutch, does he want PWM? I thought PWM had the effect of slipping stuff, and that would be the last thing you would want on such a stall?

Please correct me if I have got this all wrong. Cheers.
    2005 HSV Maloo Ute, HKE 457ci Stroker LS2 E40, TFS 245's, 255/263 Hi Lift HUC, FAST LSXr 102, NW Billet 102 TB, FLT Level 7 4L65E, CircleD 4200 stall, Duspeed OTRCAI - Mafless, DF 1 7/8" LT's, 3" DiFilipo Duals, Serial LC-1 WB's

"An Old Dog learning new tricks"

Lifetime Member

How disappointing. I really don't want to mess with running the 4L60E code and modifying the wiring.

It seems to me that if it's computer driven then why can't EFILive or any tuner, get to the code and allow us to change it? Is it just lost in the code or something? A deep guarded, encrypted place that GM doesn't want us to know about? (Being smart ass...)

Lee

230" Dragster - 2000 LS1, 02020003 Speed Density, PRC 2.5 Heads,
    MS3 Cam 237/242 .603/.609, Vic Jr. intake, Holley 1000CFM TB,
    PowerGlide, 5000 stall converter. 8.70@154 MPH

My Projects Homepage: http://www.horsepowerracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by MyM8V8 View Post
    Hi Joe, I might be completely wrong here, but if he is running an after market stall with a heavy duty clutch, does he want PWM? I thought PWM had the effect of slipping stuff, and that would be the last thing you would want on such a stall?

Please correct me if I have got this all wrong. Cheers.
    He would have set the Minimum Duty Cycle table to some high value.

Note the following...

4L80E has this circuit:
    - TCC PWM,
    To lock TCC, the PCM drives TCC PWM to some high value.

4L60E has these circuits:
    - TCC PWM,
    - TCC Enable,
    To lock TCC, the PCM drives TCC PWM to some high value and drives TCC Enable to ground (i.e. both required).
    4L60E is further complicated by the fact that the PCM will spike TCC PWM up/down while TCC Enable is off
    (the HMTG book says it parks the TCC PWM solenoid at 90%, see here).
    Edit: the TCC Enable solenoid is also just called the TCC solenoid.

Last edited by joecar; May 26th, 2010 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LS1_Dragster View Post
    How disappointing. I really don't want to mess with running the 4L60E code and modifying the wiring.

It seems to me that if it's computer driven then why can't EFILive or any tuner, get to the code and allow us to change it? Is it just lost in the code or something? A deep guarded, encrypted place that GM doesn't want us to know about? (Being smart ass...)

Lee
    Lee,

It seems to me that it can't be found, or deeply embedded in the algorithm, or deeply hidden...

The truck trans segments (includes algorithm) all seem to unlock on closed throttle.

The car trans segment all seem to keep locked, but the cars came with only the 4L60E.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Lee,

It seems to me that it can't be found, or deeply embedded in the algorithm, or deeply hidden...

The truck trans segments (includes algorithm) all seem to unlock on closed throttle.

The car trans segment all seem to keep locked, but the cars came with only the 4L60E.
    I wonder how hard it would be to find? The trans segment isn't that big, and is pretty well explored. Just take 2 tunes, make them as identical as possible (1 locks up, one doesn't) and compare the binary files. This does assume that you can download the binary from the pcm, not the encrypted one used by today's modern tuning software.

Maybe even find 2 4L80E segments on the same OS where 1 locks up and one doesn't.

Another positive side effect of getting rid of the PWM, is that I bet it cuts down on the wear and tear of the PWM solenoid (common problem on higher mileage transmissions).

Lifetime Member

If you can get a raw *.bin file from the PCM and then another one from a car you might have a shot. But Im willing to put money on there being a LOT more differences than just this between car and truck OSs. Yes the tables may be the same, but the background code is probably different. Very similar, but not exact.

Im not to familiar with LS1 PCMs, can you run a car OS and turn this off from within EFILive?
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast