Thread: Need failure compensation

Lifetime Member

Default Need failure compensation

Howdy folks, long time no yak.

On my 2000 Silverado, 5.3L 4x4, 4L60E, I'm having a problem with the transmission flaring on the 2-3 shift. I know the trans is toast and am working on a 4L80E conversion, but until I actually do this I want to see if I can program the trans to not flare when it shifts. I don't want it to fail before I get all my ducks in a row for the 4L80E. If the trans goes before I'm ready I'll be forced to tip the funding into another 4L60E to get it back on the road and I'll be death mad about it.

Anyhoo, I'm hoping there is a pressure setting I can use to help the trans shift faster on the 2-3 shift to eliminate, or at least slow down, the slip damage. The trans has close to 260K miles on it now, and when I bought the truck had the 1860 code (valve body replaced, but of course it's too late) so there's no way to save it without going into it. I'm just looking for a Band-Aid for now. Thanks if anyone can help here.

Big stopper on the swap: the only place I can find a conversion trans mount is PATC, and they want 330 bucks plus core to make two cuts and 4 welds. I'm still trying to find a shop around here that can do the mod, but finding a competent welder in my area willing to do something like this... errrrgh...

Forgot to add, we don't drive the truck hard at all because of the trans, and even taking it easy it slips on the shift. We're in the habit of giving it more throttle, then letting completely off at shift to keep it from slipping. At least I do. I don't think the wife does, but then you know how chicks are...
    Last edited by Telco; May 27th, 2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Forgot to add

Lifetime Member

Cant help on the trans mount, 330 is steep but if they're the only ones offering it then they can charge whatever.

As for the trans, you can try bumping the line pressures, reducing the TM (quicker gear engagement, less clutch slip), and reducing shift times to compensate. Not good, but should work for a little while. If you're expecting to get 5k from this, I doubt it.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

I already had TM killed, and I just reduced the shift time to the minimum for 2-3. It helped quite a bit, thanks. We're still going to be taking it easy with it because it is a Band-Aid holding a POS together, but it's working great as a Band-Aid.

I MAY have a line on another source for them. If it works out, screw PATC. Screw 'em anyway, if it comes to it I'll learn to weld myself. I'd rather spend 300 bucks on a welding kit than on something that is way overpriced.

If you add some torque reduction back in it will reduce engine torque during shifting.