Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dreaded knock.... cant seem to get my tune right

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Alright, makes sense now with it being a Custom OS.

Forget about the MAF Parameters then. Your right, under these circumstances I do not believe they are applicable.

I'll look it over again this evening. May need an extra set of eyes on it to figure it out. I agree, it looks very unusual for KR with a relatively low spark being commanded.

Will get back to ya..
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

Spark does appear low for your set up.
    Have you verified the knock with knock phones? Checked for the exhaust hitting the chassis?What are the road conditions like in your area?
    The Tremor at AIR

Roads were smooth, I was on a freeway as I dont like to do any tuning on suburban roads. I havent checked anything with knock phones, to be honest I wouldnt know where to get them...

The knock always seems to be apparent when there is any hint of wheel slip, I dont know if this has anything to do with it.

I have replaced both knock sensors and looms (got oem delco ones from the states)

I do get the usual LS1 lifter noise. I cant see anywhere where the exhaust would be hitting anything, although I do get a backfire on back off when just the headers are installed (took the cats off to check the headers for slag around the 02 bungs). Just in case anyone was wondering.... it sounded great!

It just doesnt make sense as I can do a 0-100 run with 0 knock and then the next run in the same conditions is plagued with knock.

Very odd. I havent had wheelspin induce false knock but have got it from a bad road surface.
    I would log some of the EST spark pids for traction control, torque limiting etc & see if they match what the KR pid is seeing. (Just in case)
    If the knock is false you could try desensitize the knock sensors. Be very careful here though as if you desensitize them enough they wont pick up real knock. I use a mates knock phones whenever doing this to make sure.
    The Tremor at AIR

I'm with Mick..I have had the bad road surface do it..but wheel-spin? Anything is possible.

The question I have is short of employing the more sophisticated audio techniques to determine legitimate KR..have you tried the true and tested method. Take out some timing..or find some 98 octane gas. I know from your post, you say it is erratic..

This may sound ridiculous, but can you hear it pinging or knocking. My car is moderately loud, but if I roll the window down..turn off the radio..if I hear pinging (marbles or metallic sound) I log KR 99% of the time. I can hear it. Can you hear any pinging?

I desensitize the KR sensors in regard to recovery time. I increase 5-10 fold how quickly it recovers. If it is legitimate KR it comes back. That way it only takes your timing down for 2-4 seconds instead of 10 seconds or more.

Unless you have oil leaking into the CC chamber and are really carbon-ed up..Thats all I can think of for now..
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband

You still need to get a MAF DTC otherwise it will run from the MAF (or not from the VE)... try an experiment: zero your B5001 MAF table and see what happens.

What injectors do you have...?

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    You still need to get a MAF DTC otherwise it will run from the MAF (or not from the VE)... try an experiment: zero your B5001 MAF table and see what happens.

What injectors do you have...?
    Well thats the ultimate question. Are you wanting MAF enabled or not?

Thanks for the quick responses everyone

I have only ever put PULP 98 RON in her (even though she only gets 18L/100kms)

I cant say I can hear any pinging, but the exhaust is rather loud I will ask a mate to come for the next log session and see if he can hear anything... Im not confident enough to desensitize the knock sensor myself as I dont want to blow the engine up if I cant hear it pinging.

@5.7ute, good idea, I'll do a log on the way home from work and see if I can marry up the KR with any of the traction pids

@WeathermanShawn What kind of values are you putting in your recovery rates if you dont mind me asking?

I already thought about the carbon build up, so I ran the Subaru top end cleaner a couple of weeks back (kinda like SeaFoam). Half a can through the inlet manifold and the other half was sprayed in via the spark plug holes and left to soak overnight.... Strange thing was it barely smoked at all, just a slight grey tinge through the exhaust... I havent had the heads off, but the rocker assembly is squeeky clean (Castrol Edge 10w60) cant see any hint of carbon getting up there.

I have been trying the old fashioned way by pulling timing where ever I can find knock, but where do I stop? The car already struggles to spin the rears with 4.11's which should be a piece of cake (or so I read)... The most troublesome spot has already been lowered to 15 - 16 and since I have lowered that section, all around it starts to knock so the square is growing every time I log it (see attached)

Im begining to think it may be a stuffed lifter tripping the knock sensors, I cant find any PIDs to log the individual knock sensors.. Are we able to monitor them individually? I figure if its stronger on one compared to the other it would indicate if it is the front or rear of the engine..... Or maybe im just getting desperate? haha...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	timing.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	550.7 KB 
ID:	8144  

wow you guys are quick

@joecar I will try that, I would absolutely love it if it was that simple *fingers crossed* Injectors are stock (28.8lbs I believe)

@WeathermanShawn I am wanting to run completely no maf (OLSD)

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey View Post
    wow you guys are quick

@joecar I will try that, I would absolutely love it if it was that simple *fingers crossed* Injectors are stock (28.8lbs I believe)

@WeathermanShawn I am wanting to run completely no maf (OLSD)
    Dopey:

You are going to have to Default your MAF to run OLSD..That may be part of the problem. It is using MAF..and you might have been making all your changes to the VE Table..

I drastically increase my KR recovery Rate (see attachments). Just to be clear..It does not desensitize the amount..just 'quickens' its departure..if it is real the KR will come back immediately!

I have attached a log where I had a very brief KR event lugging it in 5th or 6th gear..I maximized the scale to display it..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast