Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which ECU for 6 Cylinder Coil On Plug and Custom O/S

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    I think E40 cam reluctors were 4x...

I just recently ordered an LS1 cam sprocket and the part I received I assume is the GenIV 1x sprocket, see attached pic.
    That's cool, thank you for posting and updating this.. I sort of dropped out of the GM ECU Tuning scene about the time that all the GEN IV stuff was getting developed and released to us EFILiver's. I realize that I am most likely going to end up with a ver 2.0 hardware box too when this is all done, but more importantly I am trying to get up to speed again on the most recent GM ECUs and there is just soo much more to learn ! I always

The BMW M5x family of motors have an external crank sensor that's on the balancer and the cam sensor is on the driver's side of the head and I believe its also a 1x cam sensor. The only variable here is that it has VANOS(german speak for Variable Cam/Valve timing). On the older cars like I have its a simple ON/OFF affair at a specified RPM, that's triggering a solenoid so getting the ECU to control it or an external RPM switch could be made to work. But I guess I ought to ask, aren't some of the Northstar motors variable cam timing motors? Maybe I should be considering one of these controllers ? My guess would be however that there is even less support for these controllers than the 4.2L I-6. I don't know, just thinking out loud.

Thanks again Joecar, I appreciate all the effort. This will be really neat if I can pull it off..

Todd

1993 BMW 325is <- For Sale
    2003 Silverado LS 4x4 <--- you want to autocross what?
    2005 Avalanche 5.3L LS(EFI Live tuned) <-- my gas hog running on e85 3+ years now
    2012 Subaru Outback (wife's daily)

Lifetime Member

Todd,
    I think your best bet is to use an E67 as it is a 58x reluctor, offers 2.5 Bar tuning options for boost, can control the VVT on your car (have to look more into how GM vs BMW does their controls though). Run a 08-09 4.2L I6 TrailBlazer/Envoy OS and Cal, they are COP, exhaust VVT, you can remap the VVE table to 2.5 Bar, and you can setup efans as well. Plus the beauty of the E67 is that it has ALL the support the E67 V8 OS/Cals do. You could run an 07 P12 PCM from an I6, but they have limited tuning options and since you're starting with fresh electronics, use the E67.

I might have an 08 TrailBlazer I6 file at home on my laptop, Ill check next week.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	huge-not-worthy.gif 
Views:	211 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	8176

Thanks !! You rock, a giant public thank you to Erik.. I cant wait to try this out !! I am headed to the scrap yard the end of this week to get a harness and going to order and ECU.

Todd

2005 Avalanche 5.3L LS(EFI Live tuned) <-- my gas hog running on e85 3+ years now

Todd, That may be your answer...
    Erik, good thinking...

Lifetime Member

Just got back to internet, and I hope it works out Todd. Keep me updated on this project, if you can get a BMW to run on an E67 that would be awesome!
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

Well I've hit a couple of dead ends here trying to get the parts.

I tried to order an e67 ECU from www.ecuoutlet.com but their site flips out when I try to place an online order. Wont let me get past shipping and actually place the order. Has anyone had any luck ordering from them ??

I also went back to the pick a part junkyard and looked for a harness off a 3/5 series equipped with my motor.. That was a bust, I found a couple but either had the wrong motor or were not a vanos motor. I did score 10 GM LSx Coils, apparently there is some difference between the GM coils and BMW coils, the GM coils need to be 'smart' coils from what another friend told me and the currently installed BMW coils are NOT. I also scored a cluster out of a '02 TB with the 4.2L... the cash for clunkers program has really filled up alot of yards with newer stuff, really kind of depressing seeing all these new cars with the engines sprayed yellow.

I did email eficonnection.com and speartech.com about the connectors and pins for the e67 ecu and only received a response from EFIconnection.. Sad because speartech is just up the street from me (well a town over ;-)) I guess they dont want my business so I will order from eficonnection.com. I will need to get a 4x cam sensor/wheel from them as well anyhow and figure out how I can install it on the BMW motor. The BMW motor is a 1x and if I read everything correctly the 58x ECUs use a 4x cam sensor.. Overall it should be straight forward after that I hope! I will keep you guys posted if I get it running.

Thanks to everyone in the EFILive community, you guys ROCK !!

Special thanks to JoeCar and Scarab for the guidance !

Todd

Lifetime Member

I created an account with www.getoshiftlight.com but I know some people dont like the owner. He's always been helpful to me so Ill hold my tongue, but its another site that sells factory fresh E67s for good prices.

Todd, dont think you know this but 02-05 and 06-09 TB clusters are different... No idea if they'll work across this year seperation, I dont think it will be an issue but no guarantees. The difference is the gear selection area, for 02-05s its actually digital for 06-09 the PRND321 is printed on the cluster and a single LED moves between them to show which gear is selected. Side note, any cluster from a GMT360 truck will work (so if you like the GMC Envoy, Buick Rainier, Saab 9-7X, etc) cluster will work just fine. Dont use a TBSS or Saab 9-7X Aero cluster, it goes to 140mph instead of 120mph and Im not sure how you can adjust for the difference. Some people have done swaps, but I dont know what they did for the cluster.

Glad you got the coils, moving forward...good luck with the harness search. You might look for an 08-09 I6 harness out of a TB/Envoy for the PCM connectors and pins, easier to hack that up and then patch it into the BMW one. I need an 06-07 I6 harness, if anyone has one or finds one let me know!
    ~Erik~

Go to car-part.com. pcms are often very cheap there....
    I owned a Ford once, ONCE.......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12