Thread: Proper Way to Dyno

Default Proper Way to Dyno

Hey guys,

What's the best way to do a dyno run to achieve the most accurate true power numbers?

Should you load the dyno down more than just the actual weight of the truck?

My LBZ shows peak hp and torque occuring at 3300 rpm's (rev limiter), with a load to simulate only the weight of the truck, and I wasn't sure if there was a way to achieve better or more accurate numbers on these diesel trucks? I dyno'd for the first time a couple weeks back and basically handed them the truck and said here ya go! All runs were made in 2nd gear though.
    Peace Through Torque

Punisher Performance DSP5 Tuning, PPE Dual CP3's, 68mm Fleece Cheetah, Punisher Built trans w/ Suncoast Parts, Airdog 165, SoCal 100% Overs, ARP Studs

2013 NHRDA Sportsman World Champion

www.PunisherPerformance.com

Well on the LBZs we use 6th gear and we use about as big a load as the truck will take without bogging down low make sure your tires are good tho cause that is 170 plus mph at 5000 rpm Basically the better load they got the better they pull
    We figure accurate is as much as you can get out of it cause it will always be better on the street anyway

use an eddy current dyno and not an inertia dyno you can then choose your "ramp rate" i.e how fast the roller spins. this will help to simulate different loads.

Yeah, see my concern is that if I would have them load the dyno up more, my 392rwhp tune might actually wind up yielding more hp which is a good thing, and my peak torque would occur at a lower RPM on the graph I would think. But I wasn't sure. Does anyone have an LBZ that has been dyno'd and can share with me what RPM's their HP and TQ peaked at?
    Peace Through Torque

Punisher Performance DSP5 Tuning, PPE Dual CP3's, 68mm Fleece Cheetah, Punisher Built trans w/ Suncoast Parts, Airdog 165, SoCal 100% Overs, ARP Studs

2013 NHRDA Sportsman World Champion

www.PunisherPerformance.com

Well this was with a 4094vvt turbo but torque was at 2750 and hp was like 3700 i believe