Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Info on New LML engines for 2011

Yeah, unfortunately this is the direction of the diesel world.... but as far as reverse engineering I know you guys are doing your best so no rush on my behalf, they're still under warranty for a couple more years anyway, and like you said this may never happen, at least not legally.

Usually when I have an issue with solving a problem I drink some beer, it makes you smarter, after all, it made Bud-Wieser lol
    Peace Through Torque

Punisher Performance DSP5 Tuning, PPE Dual CP3's, 68mm Fleece Cheetah, Punisher Built trans w/ Suncoast Parts, Airdog 165, SoCal 100% Overs, ARP Studs

2013 NHRDA Sportsman World Champion

www.PunisherPerformance.com

Lifetime Member

I guess I'll ask the stupid question for the day ..... I know that the 2011 HD's are different than the 2010's (both LMM vs. LML and revised Allison 6 speed vs. older model 6 speed) BUT, what are the chances you could take a LMM 6 speed ECM/TCM combo and hook it up to a 2011 LML?

I realize there is more to it than that, (BCM, EBCM, etc...), but has anyone thought through this option?

Never thought of that... and was thinking it would be a sweet way to by pass all of this, but there is a 9th injector in the exhaust manifold for DPF burn so you can run 20% BIO.... I dont think the engine and the LMM computer would be too happy being together lol

Quote Originally Posted by turbo_bu View Post
    I guess I'll ask the stupid question for the day ..... I know that the 2011 HD's are different than the 2010's (both LMM vs. LML and revised Allison 6 speed vs. older model 6 speed) BUT, what are the chances you could take a LMM 6 speed ECM/TCM combo and hook it up to a 2011 LML?

I realize there is more to it than that, (BCM, EBCM, etc...), but has anyone thought through this option?
    Don't think that will work either as the LML/LGH uses PIEZO injectors instead of the old on off solonoid type that ran on a flat voltage curve.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Lifetime Member

Fermanator,

Forgot about the piezo injectors. yeah - scratch that idea.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Looks like the LML has had an ECM flash update already:

"New software with diagnostic enhancements for DTC P0513".
    "
    New calibration with robustness enhancements for DTCs P0299, P204F, P22A0, P2202, and stuck DEF tank level low messages."

I wonder if GM were kind enough to realise their mistake of locking the ECM's down and open them up again so the update should also say:

"New software to allow the after market to tune our trucks so people will still want to buy them".
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

Its too bad, but I think we all just have to take a deep breath and look at it from EFILive's perspective. I respect them for not blindly wading into a "gray area" as far as legality issues with distributing files that arent theirs, or yours!

Really the only "theoretical" way I could see them supporting it is if you sent them YOUR [LML] ECM, they opened it up, read YOUR stock tune out that way, sent the ECM back to you, and sent YOUR tune file back to YOU so then you could modify it with EFILive and reflash it back into the ECM as many times as you want.

From a "legal" standpoint, I dont see a problem with this.

However, from a realistic/logical standpoint, its just not really feasible. Im sure Ross has better things to do (and more exciting things to do) than sit around opening up ECM's and reading them out all day long.

But think about it guys....why do we really NEED to custom tune the LML? Its still the exact same 8GF1 architecture that dates back to the 11 year old LB7. IF EFILive supported the LML, its not like its going to be any big surprise what it will [probably] be capable of out of the box stock, not enough has really changed on it to make it more or less capable than any past 01-10 duramax... (~520rwhp stock, once the trans is built)

We already know how to make duramax's fast. If you want an all-out shiny "basically new" race truck that hauls ass, just buy a 2010 LMM and tune it/build it to your hearts content. Aftermarket power increases are going to be no different than the 01-10 dmax's. On the LML, you're still gonna have to build the trans, you're still gonna need a lift pump, you're still gonna need a bigger turbo if you want >550rwhp, and you're still gonna need dual high pressure pumps if you want more than ~650rwhp, and you're still going to need to build the internals if you want more than ~700rwhp.

Does that make sense? And if you do own an LML and just want better fuel economy while making the truck more fun to drive, go buy an H&S or BullyDog tuner and im sure that will be plenty to satisfy you.

And if you say you want the new 2011 chassis and stuff, but want to tune it and make it seriously fast...............just swap in an LMM and the associated harness and ECM. It will be all bolt-in and plug and play with the 2011 body electronics...no different than/just as easy as swapping an LLY into a 2003-2004 LB7 truck, or swapping an LBZ into a 2003-2005 truck.

Ben
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Ben you are correct in many aspects of your post.
    For all the enquiries we get on the LML, 95% are "Can I remove the DEF and DPF"? So there is no doubt in my mind what people really want to do and with this particular model, if any company is offering the ability to do that, you might as well book your day in court with the EPA when you release it. If H&S or BullyDog are offering a typical 50HP-80HP update with all emissions still active then you do have an option if you need more power.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Ben you are correct in many aspects of your post.
    For all the enquiries we get on the LML, 95% are "Can I remove the DEF and DPF"? So there is no doubt in my mind what people really want to do and with this particular model, if any company is offering the ability to do that, you might as well book your day in court with the EPA when you release it. If H&S or BullyDog are offering a typical 50HP-80HP update with all emissions still active then you do have an option if you need more power.
    I don't see how it's any different from taking the DPF off? Unless your falling back on the original retrieving stock file issue.
    2011 Chevy 2500HD LML 4x4 LTZ-Black
    -H&S Mini Maxx | MBRP 5" w/Muffler | 4" Rancho Lift | BMF REPR 20x9 DM | Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's 35/12.50's.

2012 VW Jetta TDI - Daily Driver.

SOLD - 06 LBZ

EcoDieselRam Forum

This thread is becoming really repetitive as far as people not accepting our position and reasoning as to why we've decided to not continue development on the LML, it's now closed.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011