Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why US Dollars?

Default Why US Dollars?

I was wondering why EFILive has based their purchase pricing on the US dollar? I understand that their biggest market is in the US, but it pisses me off to be at the mercy of the exchange rate every time I wish to purchase a license.If I was in the US then it would not matter so much as $99 US will always be $99 US for a license. Currently I need to purchase 1 maybe 2 more licenses,2 x $99 US = $198 US, 2 x $99 US x current exchange rate = $234 Aus,I have even contemplated a stream license, but $2495 US becomes $2950 Aus,starting to stretch the budget a bit.Has EFILive ever considered making their pricing country specific to avoid this type of senario?
    It's all good until it goes "Bang"

I thought the samething, but at the end of the day the price only varies a bit for us Aussies.
    On a side note I wonder how successful marketing would be if prices were in Zimbabwe dollars.$99us = $35,828 zwd.
    The Tremor at AIR

Quote Originally Posted by 5.7ute View Post
    I thought the samething, but at the end of the day the price only varies a bit for us Aussies.
    On a side note I wonder how successful marketing would be if prices were in Zimbabwe dollars.$99us = $35,828 zwd.
    Hahaha....
    2008 2WD Ext.Cab Silverado 1500 6.0 V-MAX E38(L76) & T42(4L70E) MAF Only CL Corvette Servo AFE CAI INNOVATIVE LM-2 WBO2

FLASHSCAN V2 & AUTOCAL

Some people may not worry about a few extra dollars here and there, but
    I honestly would be a lot hapier knowing that everytime I wanted to log in and buy a license it would be $99 Aus , not some inflated figure,that extra $37 I would have to spend on 2 x licenses could buy me a carton,and I could drink & tune,but NO! The exchange rate means that I can only afford 2 x license tune now (no carton), wheres the fun in that.

Some years back we did actually offer four currencies (US$, AU$, GBP and US$). The administrative and accounting overhead to operate four currencies was significant and the decision was subsequently made to transact in a single currency. The US$ was chosen as the single currency based on their being the predominant market. Pricing was always set in US$ and the other were calculated at time of billing into the other currencies.

The thing to consider is that even if we were to transact in additional currencies (lets use AU$ for example) there would still be a conversion done against the US$ base price. For the price to be shown in AU$ on the store there would need to be a base conversion rate of ideally the current daily rate or at worst a rate that allowed for a potential variance which might end up with you paying more.

Basically what I'm getting at is that due to pricing be US$ based there is no way you can escape an exchange rate calculation occurring somewhere.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Quote Originally Posted by limited cv8r
    I honestly would be a lot hapier knowing that everytime I wanted to log in and buy a license it would be $99 Aus...
    This is the thing. The price wouldn't be AU$99, it would be US$99 x <exchange rate metric*>.

*To offer a fixed cost in another currency we would have to establish an exchange rate that reflected the daily rate and allowed for EFILive not losing out on exchange rate fluctuation. Then you'd get the inevitable "but if I bought in US$ it would be cheaper today that what is shown in my currency"
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

How could it not be $99 Aus if it was offered at $99 AUS,there would not be any exchange rate. As for EFILive offering licenses previosly in different currencies,when was this, as i have been lurking here for some time and can only ever remember having to pay $US. At the end of the day I've got no choice what I pay, regardless of $US,$Aus,Zimbabwe dollars.$, I have chosen to use EFILive and must pay what they ask as there is no alternative vendor for their licenses.
    How about you just make your priceing in $NZ dollars then everybody would be happy.(except EFILive)

I think you're missing my point. If there was multiple currencies available a VIN license would not be US$99, AU$99, NZ$99 as it is not equivalent. Why should US customers pay US$99 when that is the equivalent of NZ$145 (today) and AU customer pay the equivalent of NZ$122?

It's just like anything else... For instance the price of a Holden Sportwagon SSV is not AU$72,000 yet it is NZ$72,000. Reason; Holden maintain their cost irrespective of the market the product is sold in.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

At the end of the day, I''ll pay, It just annoys me to be at the wim of the exchange rate,plus I needed something to rant about to get to 350 posts.

Mate, I do feel you. I obviously have the exact same issue when purchasing product from AU or the US. Then there is taxes and duties, don't get me started on that!
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast