Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can not flash TCM in 2001 GMC LB7 excab 4x4 pickup?

Question Can not flash TCM in 2001 GMC LB7 excab 4x4 pickup?

I just bought EFI Live V2 last week and have downloaded all updated software and updated V2 flash scanner.
    I made the 20-20 Tow tune and did have problems flashing ECM until I read the threads and updated the V2 unit, now I have re flashed the ECM and all works very well. I have 285's on my truck and want to reprogram the TCM shift and lockup points but when I try to flash the TCM I get an error the I need the commercial cable. I do have a commercial license but not sure what the error is referring to.
    I have uploaded the current TCM program with no problems, saved stock and edit a new copy to flash to the TCM.
    Thank You.
    Jeff

Lifetime Member

Sounds like you're trying to full flash the TCM? Im not sure how the Alli TCMs deal with speedo changes. Your license information is properly entered into your Tune tool correct? Proper date, etc? Also, did you connect your V2 BEFORE opening up ANY tune files? For some features the Tune tool needs to see a valid V2 device plugged into the PC before it will unlock them. This is how you do full ECM/TCM flashes as well. The BIG RED arrow next to the tiny red arrow will become active.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

The only time I've seen that error reported is when the customer had out dated software. Please ensure you have the latest software and FlashScan V2 firmware. At time of this post the latest versions are 7.5.6 Build 117, 8.1.2 Build 97 and FlashScan v2 firmware 2.06.35. Please see this KB article (http://support.efilive.com/kb_articl...5404-IJZV-0820) for information on getting the latest software, and this one (http://support.efilive.com/kb_articl...7243-SFGL-2949) for updating FlashScan V2 firmware.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Thank you for all the info... I do have all the latest firmware and software, just confirmed everything. I believe my problem is I had the software open before plugging the V2 into the computer. I just plugged it in and then opened the software and it does now show I have the correct license. I will try to flash and post later... Thank You...

OH right, if you are wanting to do a full-flash then yeah the interface does need to be connected before starting the Tune Tool.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Not doing full flash just set points... All is well, it worked like it was supposed to do.
    I have updated the TCM for the new tire size and the correct rear gear ratio and now it shifts much better and the TCC locks at about 48 - 50 MPH.
    I believe i can get better mileage just from this...
    The lock up converter was not locking until +55 MPH after the new tires...

Also, does anyone know why the TCM was programmed for a rear ratio of 4.10 when the truck from the factory was built with 3.73's???
    Puzzling and I am not the 1st one to see this on their truck...

Thanks again to every one for the help...

Jeff
    2001 GMC 2500HD Duramax Allison, 4x4 ex-cab, 8' bed, 285/75R16, Sulastic rear spring shackles, Cognito upper control arm kit, Cognito Heavy Duty Tie-Rods, Cognito pitman and idler arm support kit, Heavy duty sway bar end link kit, Banks air cleaner kit with super scoop, AirDog 150 Fuel Preporator/Filter, EFI Live Tuning for power and fuel milage...

The TCM doesn't care what tires or gear ratios you have, and if you make changes to those tables you MUST modify ALL of the other tables accordingly. The big problem is you CAN'T modify all of them as EFILIVE only gives you a small portion of what all is in the ALLISON TCM code. You never make changes to the speedometer and gear ratio settings in the TCM is what I was told by sseveral tuners whao have been doing this since EFI came out. You make the changes to the tables in the areas you want changed ONLY. I would advise you to go back and put it back to stock and then make shift point and lock-up changes in the lower areas but leave the upper areas alone. You will probably also notice that your WOT shifts are now off as well.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Try this tune in your TCM, I'm pretty sure you'll like it and it won't cause other issues with it down the road.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

I've had this happen with v7.5.5 build 88 when NOT doing a full flash on my 05. Can you give me the correct series of events needed to keep this from happening?

Default TCM Help

I had this happen today with the same software as above. Any help would be great!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast