Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Soccer (Football) World Cup

Default Soccer (Football) World Cup

Just wanted to say that since I have always been a huge soccer fan and half decent player, I am closely following the World Cup. As it relates to the forum, both New Zealand and Australia have managed to qualify for the finals this year, a huge accomplishment.

I am rooting for both teams, because of EFILive. (I know it's a little corny)
    Although the odds are strongly against them, they play respectable and entertaining football (soccer).

So far Australia lost really bad to Germany, due to missing their best player (Kewell) to a groin injury and also a mid game ejection / suspension. They also have the oldest team in the tournament (players' ages). But they always produce a very physical and competitive game.

New Zealand is currently holding Slovakia from scoring, also a feat. I wish them both the best, and congrats on making it!

I am also rooting big time for my home team USA (doing great). My birth country Hungary did not qualify as usual, despite having rich tournament history (runners up twice, a LONG time ago)
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

I've been watching some WC during my lunch breaks (we have a big flatscreen in our lunchroom).

Being Aussie with ethnic parents means I've played soccer for school sport and watched F1 since I can remember...

Cool! And what a great last minute equalizer for NZ!!! Although he did get a yellow card for removing his shirt, I wouldn't care, they salvaged an important point from what looked like a sure loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    Just wanted to say that since I have always been a huge soccer fan and half decent player, I am closely following the World Cup. As it relates to the forum, both New Zealand and Australia have managed to qualify for the finals this year, a huge accomplishment.

I am rooting for both teams, because of EFILive. (I know it's a little corny)
    Although the odds are strongly against them, they play respectable and entertaining football (soccer).

So far Australia lost really bad to Germany, due to missing their best player (Kewell) to a groin injury and also a mid game ejection / suspension. They also have the oldest team in the tournament (players' ages). But they always produce a very physical and competitive game.

New Zealand is currently holding Slovakia from scoring, also a feat. I wish them both the best, and congrats on making it!

I am also rooting big time for my home team USA (doing great). My birth country Hungary did not qualify as usual, despite having rich tournament history (runners up twice, a LONG time ago)
    COME ON ENGLAND!!!

They usually disappoint us though - :-( ................ Now we have two Butterfingers in goal. Bring back Banksy and Shilton! - never had a good goalie since.
    2005 HSV Maloo Ute, HKE 457ci Stroker LS2 E40, TFS 245's, 255/263 Hi Lift HUC, FAST LSXr 102, NW Billet 102 TB, FLT Level 7 4L65E, CircleD 4200 stall, Duspeed OTRCAI - Mafless, DF 1 7/8" LT's, 3" DiFilipo Duals, Serial LC-1 WB's

"An Old Dog learning new tricks"

We have a soccer team?
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

not nice Ross
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AUS.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	8237  
    Last edited by Boost; June 15th, 2010 at 11:45 AM.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    We have a soccer team?
    ROTFLMAO

Man, that reminds me of when I took my first trip to NZ about 20 years ago.
    Some rabid NZ rugby supporter tried to taunt me about the Australians losing a Bledisloe Test match to New Zealand, the conversation went something like this...

Kiwi: Bad luck about the Bledisloe - eh?
    Me: The what?
    Kiwi: The Bledisloe!
    Me: What's that?
    Kiwi: You know - the All Blacks v's The Wallabies?
    Me: Who's the Wallabies?
    Kiwi: You are an Aussie - right?
    Me: Yes
    Kiwi: The Wallabies are the Australian rugby team.
    Me (seriously): Oh - I didn't know we had a rugby team.
    Kiwi: Walks off, shaking his head in disbelief.

Anyway I did sit up till the wee hours watching the All Whites play, I had given up on them scoring in the last 30 minutes, 'cause they were just dropping in long bombs from defense and hoping for the best. Couldn't believe they actually scored.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Smile

Blacky, at this point in time the Kiwis are doing better, they have earned their historical first goal and first point in this tournament which is actually bigger than the Olympics.

I know how you car people are, the only sport I pay attention to is drag racing, besides soccer which is my other passion.

"All Whites snatch last-gasp point

A last-gasp Winston Reid header snatched New Zealand an improbable draw against a dominant Slovakia side in their Group F opener in Rustenburg. Robert Vittek had put the Europeans in front, also with his head, in the 50th minute but the All Whites hit back for a result that leaves the section's four sides level on one point – and goal difference – after Italy and Paraguay also drew 1-1 yesterday.

New Zealand defied their underdogs' status in the opening five minutes. First Chris Killen broke free from his marker just inside the Slovakia half, charged forward and unleashed a shot that flew over. Then the same player headed wide from an inviting Leo Bertos cross. That seemed to awaken the Europeans. Vladimir Weiss, son of the Slovakia coach, darted down the right flank before producing a low cross that Mark Paston did well to hold, before Robert Vittek cut inside before blazing a shot high and wide.
    The flair of Weiss was thrilling the crowd and on 22 minutes, the Slovakia No7 found space down the left and threaded the ball through to Marek Hamsik, who curled it wide from inside the area. Weiss then craftily laid on a chance for Stanislav Sestak, who fired into the side-netting. Minutes later the No9 missed another chance, this time from a close-range header following a corner. With ten minutes of the half remaining, Vittek cut inside from the right and fired a fierce 20-yard shot wide.

New Zealand, who had been spectators for a period, then went close. Following a neat passing move, Smeltz played a give-and-go with Rory Fallon before shooting into the side-netting from a difficult angle. It proved a brief respite, as the Slovaks dominated possession for the remainder of the half, albeit without creating any meaningful opportunities. They did just that five minutes after the restart, though, and this time they took full advantage. Sestak crossed from the right, and Vittek powered his header into the bottom corner. It was just reward for Slovakia's relentless assault on the Kiwis' goal.

Rather than sit back, the team in blue went in search of a second goal. After 58 minutes Sestak held the ball up well and touched it into the path of Hamsik, who failed to keep his shot down from the edge of the area. Slovakia almost doubled their lead soon after. Zdenko Strba and Sestak exchanged passes, before the latter set up Vittek. However, Paston rushed from his line to make a smart block from the 28-year-old forward.

It took an alert Tony Lochhead to deny Vittek a clear sight on goal with 15 minutes remaining, before Smeltz headed wide from a rare New Zealand attack with just minutes remaining. It appeared then that their last chance had gone, but deep into injury time Smeltz crossed for Reid to steal in and nod home a dramatic equaliser."

Name:	NZL.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	8240  

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post

not nice Ross
    In Australia, Soccer, football, whatever you want to call it is not as popular as Rugby, AFL or Cricket (depending on what state you are in). Though it's popular enough that there has been a few Aussies go to Europe to play quite successfully so I shouldn't ridicule it too much.
    Sports that involve different countries competing against each other are usually fun to watch, or I should say, watching English football fans in foreign countries is fun to watch
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Right now I am watching Australia's second group game against Ghana. There is still over an hour left. They are both eliminated with a loss. Australia needs a win to have any realistic chance of making the second round of eliminations. They are playing well and on the attack right now... THEY JUST SCORED THEY JUST SCORED THEY JUST SCORED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A beauty !

Australia is ranked #20 in the world and Ghana is a #32. I can't believe they scored exactly as I was typeing ! Thank God!! It won't be easy for them

They are not ghana win! Go Roos!!

Name:	541447australian-kangaroo-posters.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	8264  
    Last edited by Boost; June 19th, 2010 at 02:23 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast