Thread: How do I know if a used flashscan v2 is a scan only or scan and tune version

Default How do I know if a used flashscan v2 is a scan only or scan and tune version

I have never owned or used a flashscan v2. Can the version be determined by the serial number. I found someone who has this for sale in another state and they have no idea which version it is. The person has flashscan v2 and the obdii cable only. The person does not have a supported vehicle they tried hooking it to the obdii port of a bmw.

Lifetime Member

Download EFILive V7.5 software, plug into laptop (if they dont have the USB cable, all printer cables work), open Tune tool, Help->FlashScan V2 Licensing. It will tell you there.

BTW, if they dont have the USB cable, the blue card all V2s come with, serial cable, etc then it might be hot... especially since they dont have a GM.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

So, it is not possible to determine the version based on the serial number? Could I email with the serial number to dermine if it has been reported stolen.

Hi monza,

Welcome to the forum...

I notified Tech Support.

Not sure what you are meaning "version" of the FlashScan V2? If you can email the FlashScan Serial Number to me (support@efilive.com) and can check that it is not flagged as stolen. If it is not and you do purchase you would just need to get a generic USB cable to work with it, and we can send the registration details when you have it (given a bit more information).
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Andrew, I think he means if it is a Scan&Tune or a ScanOnly.

Based on the SN I can derive that also.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Can they retrieve the serial number from the flashscan with just the obdii cable if they are connecting it to a non supported vehicle (bmw)? If yes how? I think I read on here that if the the unit is powered up pressing f4 then f1 then f1 will retrieve the serial number - is this true?

The device probably has a sticker on the back that has the SN printed on it. Rather than connecting to a non-supported vehicle I'd probably suggest they install the software and drivers and get the SN from the software. But if it does boot from the vehicle OBDII port the yes you can get the SN frm the device itself. With the later firmware the key sequence if F4->F3->F1.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew