Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are some minor changes I can make to familiarize myself with the Tune Tool?

Lifetime Member

Default What are some minor changes I can make to familiarize myself with the Tune Tool?

Before I do any VE tuning, I would like to play around a bit and tweak a few things just to familiarize myself with the tuning software. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or secrets about some things I can change that would be beneficial. I know it is common to lower the temperatures in which the cooling fans turn on and off, also changing the parameters which lock the skip shift solenoid in the M6 transmissions.

I don't know what temperatures is a good setting nor do I know what parameters I should adjust for the skip shift.

If any one has some good info on minor and simple adjustments, please fill me in.

Thank you!!

Oh an my car is a 2004 Z06, CAI and mufflers are the only mods.

Hi n8dogg,

Try this:
    - check that B3608 is zero.
    - set B3609 to all zeros.
    - set B0204 to 2300 rpm.
    - set B0205 to 1 s.

Is the stock thermostat 195°F...? If so, then you could set:
    - G0901 to 218°F
    - G0902 to 210°F
    - G0913 to 228°F
    - G0914 to 219°F

Here's a question which I think very few people can answer (I don't know the answer):

Why do all the LS6 files (i.e. LS1B Z06) have B3303 and B5401 have 5th gear complemented...?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LS6.png 
Views:	206 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	8377  

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Here's a question which I think very few people can answer (I don't know the answer):

Why do all the LS6 files (i.e. LS1B Z06) have B3303 and B5401 have 5th gear complemented...?
    I don't know. Are you asking why the Rev Limiter is 'different' for 5th? I know in the LS1's you will never physically reach the Rev Limiter in 5th. That is probably not what you are pointing out though...
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Hi n8dogg,

Try this:
    - check that B3608 is zero.
    - set B3609 to all zeros.
    - set B0204 to 2300 rpm.
    - set B0205 to 1 s.

Is the stock thermostat 195°F...? If so, then you could set:
    - G0901 to 218°F
    - G0902 to 210°F
    - G0913 to 228°F
    - G0914 to 219°F
    A few questions...

I uploaded my stock tune and saved it. Now I made a copy with the above changes you have suggested (less the fan controls). What does making the Power Enrichment table to all 0's do? What will I benefit from on the others as well?

As far as the fans go, its showing me the reading in C, so I think it was fan on at 108degC. Any idea how I can convert the values to F? Also my fans turn on automatically around 220 as it is. So wouldn't I want to go lower say 180-190?

Quote Originally Posted by n8dogg View Post
    A few questions...

I uploaded my stock tune and saved it. Now I made a copy with the above changes you have suggested (less the fan controls). What does making the Power Enrichment table to all 0's do? What will I benefit from on the others as well?

When you hit Power Enrichment (PE), having it set to '0' prevents any delay in hitting that Commanded Fuel. Same as the other Table (it is all very good to do).

As far as the fans go, its showing me the reading in C, so I think it was fan on at 108degC. Any idea how I can convert the values to F? Also my fans turn on automatically around 220 as it is. So wouldn't I want to go lower say 180-190?

Under the Tune Tool (or in your current tune)..under EDIT..then 2nd from the bottom is 'Configure Display Units'. Say yes. Make the changes (imperial) and the next time you open the tune, it will read F.

Joecar's advice on fans is right on. With the LS1 & Z06 stock thermostats you will never be able to lower your ECT down to 180-190 with just Fan Control. I have done dozens of fan settings and that is about the best one. Believe me, there are dozens of threads on ECT, fans, etc..but unless you change out your thermostat, it is best to stick with those settings.

My normal ECT runs ~190-195F. Boils the oil, but fans are not on all the time.
    I also use a SLP Manual Fan Switch if I really need to cool the engine prior to a 'spirited' run.
    Hope that helps Ndogg..
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by WeathermanShawn View Post
    Hope that helps Ndogg..
    absolutely, Thanks! I am starting to catch on to the basics of it all, I cant wait to really have a grasp on it all so I can help others in my journey!

Lifetime Member

Just a couple of things I made a mental note of while I was looking at my stock tune.

If I want to disable CAGS, do I do that right where it says CARS/CAGS, and simply select disable?

Can one choose a slightly richer targeted A/F to adjust the ratio, or should I leave that be until I do some VE tuning?

Is there anywhere I can get a .tun file that will work for my car so I can compare my stock and modified tunes and log during a road test to see the differences?

I'm going to flash my PCM with the adjustments recommended by Joecar in a little bit here.

Dogg, I forget if you have your wideband or not..

Here are a few tips for you assuming you have a wideband.

1. B0701 Catalytic Converter Protection Enable: Change to Disable. This just adds additional fuel during repeated WOT runs to help cool and protect your cats. It also robs power by adding too much fuel at WOT. I have cats, and have it disabled. Just stay away from repeated 10-15 second WOT runs.

2. I personally like the Z06 Spark Table. But, if you want to try a more aggressive Spark Table..use a 1998 Camaro LS1 (manual). Just copy and paste it into your tune file..http:///www.holdencrazy.com/EFILive/stockTunes.php

3. Using wideband set Table B3618 to 12.7 AFR across the board.

4. Log LONGFT1 and LONGFT2 along with MAFFREQ. That will tell you how much you need to calibrate the MAF to equalize Trims.

I am not sure on disabling CAGS via tune. I did it with a solenoid. But I did disable the Air Pump via tune.

I would offer up my tune, but in all honesty I have made so many changes from stock along with different gearing and modifications..it just would not make sense.

If you are not using a wideband I would only do tip #4. The goal is to safely go leaner on WOT, and see how much spark your can can handle..

Good luck..

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by WeathermanShawn View Post
    Dogg, I forget if you have your wideband or not..

Here are a few tips for you assuming you have a wideband.

1. B0701 Catalytic Converter Protection Enable: Change to Disable. This just adds additional fuel during repeated WOT runs to help cool and protect your cats. It also robs power by adding too much fuel at WOT. I have cats, and have it disabled. Just stay away from repeated 10-15 second WOT runs.

2. I personally like the Z06 Spark Table. But, if you want to try a more aggressive Spark Table..use a 1998 Camaro LS1 (manual). Just copy and paste it into your tune file..http:///www.holdencrazy.com/EFILive/stockTunes.php

3. Using wideband set Table B3618 to 12.7 AFR across the board.

4. Log LONGFT1 and LONGFT2 along with MAFFREQ. That will tell you how much you need to calibrate the MAF to equalize Trims.

I am not sure on disabling CAGS via tune. I did it with a solenoid. But I did disable the Air Pump via tune.

I would offer up my tune, but in all honesty I have made so many changes from stock along with different gearing and modifications..it just would not make sense.

If you are not using a wideband I would only do tip #4. The goal is to safely go leaner on WOT, and see how much spark your can can handle..

Good luck..

Good info. I have not installed my LC-1 yet. Haven't made the time to do so yet, I'm half tempted to just install it in place of one of my HEGOs temporarily as LTHs are in the plan for near future.

So you do not recommend touching the Cat Converter Protection with out a WB02?

I do have the skip shift solenoid eliminator installed, I was just thinking for customers cars in the future.

I will for sure Log my LTFT's with MAFFREQ and post it. I'm sure it could use some adjusting with my intake set-up.

For now I will leave everything alone until I hear otherwise as far as your recommendations.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast