Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: how do i get my car not to idle so high

Make sure your wideband has done a heater and free air calibration (if this is applicable to your wideband)... and sanity check it to make sure it's working right.

When you setup for AutoVE make sure that WOT/PE will be sufficiently rich (I make PE B3618 equal to the high MAP value in the CFOL B3605 table).

Also make sure B4206 is disabled (it should be already).

When logging for AutoVE, obtain better data by applying throttle in a progressive/smooth manner (less data gets filtered out by the BEN filter)... use brakes and hills to increase load, use higher gears at lower/mid rpms... don't look at laptop/FlashScan, pay attention to road, drive safe.

Bad, when doing AutoVE with unknown injectors add Manvac, battery volts, GM.DYNCYLAIR & IBPW1 or 2 to your main AutoVE pids if possible.(keep channel count under 24) At a minimum add at least IBPW1 or 2 & GM.DYNCYLAIR. This when added to the log will help filter out some potential problem areas. (min Injector pulse limits for example)
    The Tremor at AIR

joecar, i just did a calibration last week on my LC1. i did do AutoVE, however i didn't see 5.7Utes post about adding a couple PIDs until i returned from a drive. should i get rid of the log i just did & start over with the additional PIDs? hitting some of the cell values is hard to do, let alone 50 times. lol the car did run extremely rich throughout the entire RPM range & it's not happy about idling at all unless you are giving it gas. i gotta figure out how to do the filter now from the AutoVE. what all am i trying to filter out? i'm definitely having a easier time learning today, than i have in the past. i wanna thank all of you guys again for your help.

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Bad:

Is there a MAF physically present on this car? Do you have still have your narrowbands?

AUTOVE is a great tuning tool, but I will warn you it is hard to do if you are new at this. All techniques involve a lot of filtering, driving with a steady throttle etc. Open-loop may ultimately be superior, but I have seen newer tuners struggle for months to get it down.

If you are rich everywhere, getting proper Idle will be virtually impossible. I say attach a Tune & Log, and lets see where you are.
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

here is a log of the AutoVEAttachment 8441

here is the tune set up for AutoVE
    Last edited by BadLSX; July 6th, 2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: added tune file

the car does still have a MAF & the narrowbands are in place Weatherman

Wow, yea it is extremely rich...

Well assuming the Injector calibration went O.K., I guess you just have to follow the AUTOVE utilizing BENS and Filters, and do it methodically.

One thing that really concerns me, is the following attachment. It appears that at Idle as your car begins to stall (too much fuel), and you slam the Throttle open..you are getting massive KR.

I can not say I have ever seen KR at Idle, but I am assuming it is valid. Unless the over-fueling is causing a KR response.

I will look at more later, but that is my first look..
    Last edited by WeathermanShawn; July 6th, 2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Typo..
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband

BadLSX, I wouldnt be disregarding the log since you didnt have those pids present. They are mainly for preventing some issues at idle & low airflow prevelant with cams & larger than factory injectors.
    What happens is at x airmass the pcm calculates you need y amount of fuel for the commanded AFR. Using IFR (+ some offset etc)the pcm then calculates how long the injector needs to be open for. Since a cam reduces the cylinder airmass at low engine speeds the injector pulsewidth is substantially lower than standard. Add to this the increased flow rate of the bigger injectors & the pulsewidth must be shortened even further to inject y amount of fuel.
    Once a minimum pulse limit is hit, the pcm wont allow the injector to be open any less than this amount, and no change to the VE table etc will change this. So in effect you will keep dropping VE & the wideband will keep reporting rich. By logging IBPW you will be able to filter out any data where the IBPW is equal to {B4003} minimum pulse width + {B3701} battery voltage offset & prevent this from occuring.
    The Tremor at AIR

what should my next step be then? would i be better off starting with a tune that was already done on the car? this way the car will idle & won't need the VE table bumped as much making the car run so rich.

Well, you may need more help than my assistance. I am more proficient with Closed-Loop Tuning (O2's) and I use the MAF.

Having said that, I think you can successfully tune your car via AUTOVE, but like I said just go one step at a time.

If your AFRBENS are accurate, the following attachment is what you need to multiply the VE Table by. I.E, you have about 40% too much fuel everywhere. I am still worried it is the Injectors, but you could always apply the BENS to the VE Table..per the AUTOVE Tutorial..

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast