Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: how do i get my car not to idle so high

i've read the tutorials & read them again & again. yeah, i've been chasing this tuning stuff pretty hard in the last couple weeks with reading whatever i can find on here that pertains to what i need to know, but i really only get to mess with the car for maybe an hour, two at the most, every couple days & thats only if it doesn't rain. i've had the car to 2 professional tuners. here how the "professional" tunes went: the first tuner did the first tuning on the car in about 2 hours, seemed like he had better things to do, told me to buy EFILive & start learning & that he would help me learn over the phone or email & all that fun stuff. i tried repeatedly to get back in contact with him & haven't heard from him since. at the time i had nitrous on my car with all the timing retards & everything & he didn't care about how they worked or care to even try to really tune for the nitrous. he just ripped a bunch of timing out of the car & added i believe 5% more fuel the whole way through the table. since then i've sold the nitrous off the car, because it wasn't really tuned for it & didn't want to hurt my engine.

the second tuner which had my car late this spring, fixed just about everything the original tuner did that i wasn't happy about, but he had the car for 4 days & never noticed a lean condition the car has up to about 1600 rpms. the car also seems more jerky at highway speeds in 6th gear. i've emailed him & he was working on the lean condition from some of the logs i sent him, but then he said he didn't understand why the car was going lean & i haven't heard from him in a month.

if you can recommend me a tuner that is going to actually "tune" this car, i'm all ears. i was going to trailer the car to Florida for Doc to tune it, but towing from Pennsylvania to Florida is unfortunately not a option any time in the near future.

i hope you don't take any of this the wrong way, but maybe some of the back story as to why i'm here posting & asking questions will now make more sense. i'm just a newbie with no tuning experience looking to tune my car because it seems the professionals i pay good money to do so, can't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.7ute View Post
    Bad, did you have a look at the tune in post 71? It might be a better starting point since most of the VE table is cleaned up & wont have as much of an interpolation error..
    i'll definitely check that out. is it something that i can load into the car to use as a base? i have another tune that may also be of some use as a base. i'll post it in a minute.

this is the most recent dyno tune. will some of it be of any use to me? also is it a SD tune or MAF, as i'm not really sure & never got a straight answer when i asked the guy who did it.

Quote Originally Posted by BadLSX View Post
    i'll definitely check that out. is it something that i can load into the car to use as a base? i have another tune that may also be of some use as a base. i'll post it in a minute.
    It was the tune from your first log with the corrections added + a clean up of the rest of the VE table. I put it up so you could compare what you come up with but it will be fine to use as a base tune.
    IMO you would be better off sticking with the one tune file & making the changes to suit. Dont get yourself confused by swapping & changing all the time.
    The Tremor at AIR

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadLSX View Post
    this is the most recent dyno tune. will some of it be of any use to me? also is it a SD tune or MAF, as i'm not really sure & never got a straight answer when i asked the guy who did it.
    It appears to be a MAF Closed-Loop Tune with LTFT's Disabled. The High-Octane Spark looks eerily similar..I swear it looks like a Spark Tune I once ran (a.ka. the TQ/Spark Dip at 4000 Rpm's). Looks like he did a MAF 'Calibration' also..Not a bad tune. I don't exactly like the Airflow Parameters.

After reading your story perhaps it is a myth that there are professional tuners who will at least love your car as much as you or I do. There is one mail order tuner in the U.S. that is highly respected. I am sure you know his name. He is on the 'other' forum more.

I guess just stick with AUTOVE for now. You have the Tutorial(s) and forum assistance. If you ever decide to go MAF Closed-Loop give me a P.M. I can't 'spoon-feed' too much, but I don't mind sharing what I have learned over the last two years.

Enjoy..
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

It was the tune from your first log with the corrections added + a clean up of the rest of the VE table. I put it up so you could compare what you come up with but it will be fine to use as a base tune.
    IMO you would be better off sticking with the one tune file & making the changes to suit. Dont get yourself confused by swapping & changing all the time.
    ok, i going to copy the VE table from there to my tune that i'm working on. i like how the one you posted seems to be a lot smoother. did you use smoothing on it? i was going to try it, but was afraid i really would've made things worse for myself. once i get it copied & pasted to mine, i'll try to get a log of it before it pours down rain.

here is the log i just did with 5.7Utes VE table that he cleaned up some for me(thank you). i applied it & hopefully going to be able to get another good logging in yet today. the problem with me hitting some of the higher cells is that the car picks up speed fairly quick, especially for the roads i'm using to log. i'm trying to find an area where i can get some of these higher cells hit, but without wrecking the car or a incident with the law. lol i seem to be doing okay hitting them up to about 4-4200 rpm, but by then i have to slow down.

Bad. If you look at frames 1608 & 2310 you will see some anomolous lean spikes that need to be removed from the data before applying the corrections to your tune. (there are quite a few more as well if you look further down the log) To remove them place the cursor line on the chart at the start of the data you want to remove.(frame 1608)Left click & hold while dragging the cursor over the frames you want to remove.(about frame 1612) When you release the mouse button the selected frames will be highlighted. Then select the delete selected data from log file button at the bottom right of the screen. Once you have gone through the log removing these anomolies you can filter the data & apply to the VE table & relog. I will look into the reason for these lean spikes as I get the chance.
    The Tremor at AIR

Bad, can you make sure that DFCO is disabled in your tune? (b3308/b3313)
    The Tremor at AIR

Bad, can you make sure that DFCO is disabled in your tune? (b3308/b3313)
    i'll check it out. what makes them disabled, just so i'm 100% sure that they are?

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast