Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: how do i get my car not to idle so high

ok, should i do this with a completely stock tune? if so can i just copy my IFR from one of my other tunes to the stock file? the IFR is the one thing that does seem to be consistent between these tunes i have had done on the car.

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

We will have to get one of the Injector experts on to directly answer your Fueling question.

Yes, I was talking about adding 1-2 g/s to Desired Airflow on a stock 02 M6.

My cam has 'only' 10 degrees of overlap (228/232 110 +2)..but it Idles perfectly with the Table attached below. Of course I have done fueling and spark, but Desired Airflow is a 'biggie' to getting a cam to idle..
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

ok, thank you. i think my biggest fear with all of this is screwing something up & having something bad happen to the motor. i've got more money & time in this car than i care to remember & just don't want to hurt the motor. i'll try doing what you said Shawn, but my only concern is the bigger injectors dumping way too much fuel in with the stock IFR tables.

I understand.

You can always PM Joecar, 5.7ute..many experts on injectors on this forum. Granted they may all be busy, but if & when they get the time they will help you out.

I am still on stock 28's, but altitude is helping me out. So, I may be doing injectors myself in the near future. So, I would just do a 'shout-out' or PM one of them...
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband

Quote Originally Posted by WeathermanShawn View Post
    I understand.

You can always PM Joecar, 5.7ute..many experts on injectors on this forum. Granted they may all be busy, but if & when they get the time they will help you out.

I am still on stock 28's, but altitude is helping me out. So, I may be doing injectors myself in the near future. So, I would just do a 'shout-out' or PM one of them...

ok, thanks Shawn. the injectors seem to complicate this whole process for me. i wish i would have kept the stock ones in it, but went with the bigger ones because the guy who originally dynotuned the car said the stock injectors would be my limiting factor. thanks again, i really appreciate the help

Ok, lets go one step at a time...

Read these first:
    showthread.php?7866-What-to-Tune-First
    showthread.php?4821-Calculating-Injector-Flow-rate

First step is to accurately measure rail pressure (under load) and calculate the IFR using the spreadsheet and the rated flowrate/pressure of your injectors.

How do you measure pressure at load...?

If your engine doesn't spin up to easy (LS1/derivatives spin up too easy), then a throttle snap (very quickly to WOT and back) is sufficient while observing that a pressure gauge in the fuel rail shows no deviation.

Could measure rail pressure on a dyno at full load thru-out the rpm range.

Could tape up a pressure gauge to the windshield and go for a drive (drag strip or freeway on-ramp) letting passenger observe gauge.

Could install a pressure sendor/sensor and wire it to FlashScan's analog input (there's a tutorial for this).

If pressure drops under load, then either there is some problem in the fuel system (restriction, filter, regulator, pump, wiring) or the fuel system doesn't have sufficient capacity.
    Also, try to get as much data as you can for those injectors so you can adjust the injector "characterization" tables also (i.e. the other injectors tables e.g. Small Pulse Adjust); some of this data is not necessarily available/accessible, but try to get it... the objective is to accurately model your injectors.

When calculating IFR using the spreadsheet:
    - goto the EFILive tab,
    - insert injector's rated flowrate (30 lb/hr),
    - insert rated pressure (43.5 psi),
    - insert your measured rail pressure (should be 58 +/-1 psi),
    - save the spreadsheet file (for future reference).

Then look at the generated table... use the column that has the same units as B4001 as viewed by you using the tunetool (e.g. g/s or lb/hr); copy that column and paste it into B4001.

Attachment 8438

joecar, i read everything you posted for me & also did as you said for the injector spreadsheet. it turns out that what i did with the injector spreadsheet is a little different than what was in my previous tunes. i did copy & paste it into B4001. i also made some changes to the stock tune to compensate for my different gearing & some stuff like that. i belive i'm ready to give the AutoVE a try. i'm attaching the new tune that i'm starting from stock for anybody to look at & see if it looks ok to try running in the car.

Bad:

Hopefully the Injector Update will work for you.

I found an old tune from SSpdDmon (the Author of EFILive's Idle Tuning Tutorial). It has almost of the Idle Correction, Learning Airflow, Spark, TC, TF, and Follower Airflow Rates that he addresses in the Tutorial.

I never think it is wise to ever 'plagiarize' a tune, but if you get stuck you could probably benefit from a lot of his techniques. Like I said it is a tune I copied from a few years ago, so if all else fails it is a start.

Good luck..
    Last edited by WeathermanShawn; July 6th, 2010 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Added Attachment..

thanks Weatherman. i hate asking all these dumb questions, but i guess i have to start somewhere. when i read some of the material on here, i just end up getting myself completely lost, especially with all the different terminology. hopefully i can get somewhere with tuning this car, its just gonna take me a lot of time to do so. i'm hoping that it will be tuned right since i'm doing it & next time it shouldnt take me so long

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast