Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Torque management in action

I read a little bit on the c6 auto trans controller, and if i'm not mistaken, the vette has a separate controller for the trans.
    that'll be intersting.

It made my Torque Converter equipped car change weird when i reenabled it. I had to turn it off again. It doesnt change hard anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by farmtruc
    TM will slow a truck down so much, once the mods start, it will literally keep you powerless for about a second when it's doing its job.
    The electronic throttle body equipped vehicles really take a beating from TM.
    Just my opinion, but if you have a stock trans, remove about 60%, a shift kit 100% or if you don't care 100%.
    There are a lot of drivers out there with no TM and they haven't had any problems.

later,

So do you think a properly tuned PCM with TQ reduction on the up shift is going to kill your ET? I don't, but I haven't experienced being ""powerless for about a second"" either

Assuming your refering to the Throttle Position along with a reduction in timing being responsible, do you have any logs that show it happening? I'd be interested in seeing those logs. I just haven't seen this when tuning with Flashscan... When I was tuning with LS1Edit I recall this happening though..

I do agree with keeping some TQ reduction for the upshifts for a stock tranny. And IMHO for built ones too.

If you have an A4, the amount of TR is tunable for each gear shift.
    For a daily driver, you don't want to whack the drivetrain hard on every shift.

One possibility:
    tune TR so that you have some TR at non-WOT torque levels, and less at WOT torque levels
    (on the street you don't use WOT often).

TR drops the spark timing for a split second (I measured about 0.2s or less);
    if you're seeing power loss for much more than this then somethings else is wrong, like MN_C5 said.
    Or maybe the TR curves on trucks have very large values...?

Edit: or maybe traction control is getting it's piece...?
    Edit: or desired shift time is too slow and shift pressure too low...?
    Last edited by joecar; February 16th, 2006 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    It made my Torque Converter equipped car change weird when i reenabled it. I had to turn it off again. It doesnt change hard anyway.
    Thinking out loud:
    Stall converter slips more than stock converter, so reducing torque makes it unstall (stall 'intensity' depends on torque input);
    you're right, don't really want too much (or any...?) TR with a stall converter;
    but a stall converter launches harder (at higher RPM), so one would suppose your rear axle is up to taking it.

On the other hand, stock axle is weaker, so some TR is good thing in this case.

My rear axles have been off and inspected - the splines were 'like new' and that is after about 80 races at 1.65 60 footers.
    Oztrack
    EFILive Tuning Consultant

Worldwide Remote Tuning Service

2006 NSW Super Street Drag Racing Champion

www.oztrack.com.au

My work mate chewed a few teeth off the ring gear of his stock diff,
    and I've seen a few others too, and a few transmissions with broken hard parts,
    so I like to be a little cautious.

Over here in the US, F-body differentials have been known to be a little weak.

But, it looks like your diff and trans are doing good, so no worries mate.

Cheers
    Joe
    Last edited by joecar; February 17th, 2006 at 07:40 AM.

Junior Member Danville Performance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brains
    On my 1998 Formula, 6-speed, it wasn't TOO bad unless I really banged out a fast powershift. It'd then literally take a few tenths of a second to get the timing back, and that's time better spent pushing the car down the street/track. On my 2004 GTO A4, TM is (was) a MONSTER. The performance gain between with and without is incredible. As far as protecting driveline components, the rear end is much less likely to break on a shift (especially in automatic trans vehicles) than it is on the launch. Bringing the transmission into the picture, the 4L60e's weak link is maintaining enough apply for the high gear (3/4) pack. I left TM in place for the 2-3 and 3-4 shift, but eliminated it entirely for the 1-2 shift. The band is not only plenty strong, but in the (unlikely) event it ever failed its damned near the easiest component in the transmission to replace
    Well I don't know about you but I have an exploded posi and carrier and gearset because of the lack of tm on upshift. If you are making any serious amount of power than it is a really good idea. Our 02 silverado's rear posi exploded on a full throttle upshift from first two second and it wasn't pretty. We where only at about 450hp and don't have tm enabled. The diff had 60,000 miles on it when it let go. Now that we are charged we have backed the one to two shift down a bunch to make it last longer. TM will make the drivetrain last much longer. On the trany (4L60E) when you start uping the power the band is the first thing that goes because it doesn't have the surface area or servo to apply it fast enough or hard enough to stop the momentim of the drum. If you want it to handle any amount of power you need to rebuild the whole thing with quality parts that can handle the abuse.
    Last edited by Danville Performance; February 19th, 2006 at 01:51 PM.

Lifetime Member

Danville Performance huh? You guys do 4x4 car conversions too?

Hehehehehehe

Gotta get DJ's truck on the dyno.. I put 452/875 down last friday..

Junior Member Danville Performance's Avatar

Yeah we need to get it on the dyno so we can fine tune with the wideband once we get the lock up convertor figured out. Should be interesting to see! How did you like the ride??? Pretty crazy for a stock 5.3L with stacked chips! HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast