Thread: Some very sImple questions that I cant find answers too

Cool Some very sImple questions that I cant find answers too

OK so let me give some background then allo f my stupid questions. I have had efilive for about 3-4yrs now and use it on and off when time provides before that I had HP Tuners and still have a copy but dont really use it all that much anymore. So basically i have kind of rown up with the tuning world in a sense. I made an attempt to tune back when spreadsheets were the oly sane way of tuning and now there are maps and histograms custom pids and real time tuning who knows what will be next. Anyways before I really begin to ramble I would like to have some basic answers for some basic questions put into simple terms.

Could someone please explain whwn you use a ben pid and what is the mathematics behind a BEN and why it is needed?

What is the thought process of our ecm's I am sure that it is something like a choose your own ending book but there really isn't anything documented on it.

How does one know what data to use and why? I know this is a very broad question but it seems as if everyone wants to argue whether or not to change a table but noone ever explains why or what they are doing to the thought process of the ecm?

Is there a good write up that has up to date info that is not so full of argumenative nonsense and is still on a level where somone without a degree in tuning could understand?

Whydoes one need a wb to tune a maf sensor? I have never used a maf but thought that I might try and I am really missing something on this one.

I am sure there are more questions that I have but these are the ones that come to mind after reading post after post for the past two days.

Thanks,
    ..Rj..

Hmmm. I would hate to see your hard questions.
    BEN is your actual AFR divided by commanded AFR. It is basically the percentage error in your airmass table. Either predicted as by your VE table, or measured by the maf.
    The thought process of the ECM is set by the code in the tune file, Every OS has its own little differences or upgrades so it is best left to the experts. The table descriptions in Efilive are fairly accurate so you can slowly work out a flow chart from there. But at the end of the day, all the basic pcm does is decide how long to open the injector for, & when. And where to fire the coil.(And a few little things like ECT,IAC & mil lights)
    As for the data or what tables to change, this is all up to the individual tuner. I personally find it easier to group the tables into 2 seperate groups.
    The first group are the descriptive or hardware tables. The injector tables are an easy one to group as descriptive, as they describe the fuel flow & operating parameters of the injector, but tables like VE, maf, idle effective area etc are also descriptive.
    Then you have the characteristics tables. EG spark, TC, TF commanded fuel etc. These tables are modified to give the tuner a desired result. These tables should not be modified to bring a change in hardware back into line, same as the descriptive tables should not be changed to give a desired result. They all have there place as when to change & how.
    The Tremor at AIR