Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Built 4l60 w/Transgo shift firmness

Question Built 4l60 w/Transgo shift firmness

I have a '07 tahoe with 5.3/4l60 combo which just had the trans. rebuilt. The shop I used said to return the ecm/tcm to stock files and to adjust for tire size only(I run taller than stock) and that is what the Transgo was calibrated to run on. Fast forward to a couple weeks later, trans. is broken in and I go reflash ecm/tcm with shift pressures set to stock, shift times zero'd out and trq reduction at 0. I took the truck out and wow this thing shifted like nobody's business, but my 1>2 upshift was a bit too harsh for my liking. So I started adjusting the tune, after some reading on here I decided to just add som TM back in and see how I like it, so after adding 10% TM back in it was better , but still had a harshness about it that I wasn't happy with. Next up I played around with shift pressures, and lowered them from stock by 5 all down the column, and left TM at 10% still getting better, but still too much of a bump in the seat. Now I decided it was time to play around with the shift times and after even more reading I felt comfortable in trying .2 down the column, seemed to have no effect on the feel of the shift, but I could tell it seemed slower.
    Well now I am sorta stuck on what my next step should be, I am toying around with the idea of changing my shift times back to stock...is this taboo since I am running the TransgoHD2 and should zero out my times to disable adaptive learning?? Driving the truck with the stock tune the 1>2 upshift is almost where I like it, but onn the soft side of things. I am thinking that this is my only logical next step since I already am at lower than stock pressures and 10% TM added back in...Is it ok to run stock times on the 1>2 and zero's on the other shifts?? Thanks for any help--Dan

Try something like setting TM to 30%, see if this makes a change, and if this change is consistent.

I actually did a run with TM ramped up from 0 in the first six rows to a total of 30 by the last two rows, it really didn't seem to change it much. I will try adding 30% across the board for the 1>2 upshift. I am thinking that there is an issue between my tune and Transgo, the trans was set-up for the stock tune.

BTW: welcome to the forum

Thanks joecar. I've been reading reading and reading some more. This is my first post as I have not been able to find a cut and dry answer searching the site.

The answer might be in how the 1-2 accumulator is setup with the HD2 kit, how many washers...?

I will have to check how many washers were installed, but it shifts fine with a stock tune loaded in the tcm, only thing different between the two tunes is shift times. I ran stock pressures, stock TM, and .2 for shift times and still firm...still thinking I need to run close to stock times to lighten the shift up a bit, but not sure if thats the right thing to do.

I think it will be ok with stock shift times.

This is my own $0.03.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    I think it will be ok with stock shift times.

This is my own $0.03.
    X2...the TG kit increased the pressures so you don't have to in the tune.

I guess my issue is that just about everyone recommends to run shift times at 0.00 when you have the TGHD2 to disable adaptive shift learning. So if I run stock times on the 1>2 upshift will it just adaptive learn on that shift and keep it disabled on the other shifts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast