Thread: Another beginner needs help. Idle / rpm hang issues

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Another beginner needs help. Idle / rpm hang issues

Hi guys,

I'm having a lot of issues understanding idle and even though many people have given great advice, it still just isn't clicking in my head. I figure a post on this forum begging for help is my best option. This isn't to say that the people who have helped in the past haven't done a great job, just that it’s still a whole other language to me.

OK, so what I've got. I'm driving a 2002 Holden Statesman with several modifications. This I'm sure is the cause of most of my issues as I'd struggle to tune a 100% standard car, and I feel I've really jumped into the deep end trying to tune something with a lot of areas that need attention.

Holden Statesman’s are only available as a factory automatic. I've converted mine to a T-56 manual. I've also converted it to an L76 6-litre with a 227/234/113 cam. I'm running without a MAF, with a CAI and decent exhaust system. I'm using a FAST 92mm cable throttle body, L76 standard injectors (39lb I think?) and a Lingenfelter crank signal converter. I think that’s all the mods that should make a significant difference to the tune, but I'm happy to go into detail on anything else if it helps.

My tune was provided by an Australian tuner as a base tune, and from a power perspective it goes very well and makes good power. The problem is the low rpm drivability and idle isn't up to scratch.

I have been driving it as-is for several months, with little modifications here and there to try and make it more friendly, but it seems no matter how hard I try any changes I make give the opposite to desired result. Today I opened the throttle stop screw a little more which has stopped my car stalling when approaching an intersection. This has helped immensely, but I still have idle hanging issues when changing gear and before I reach a complete stop, and obviously isn't the best way to go about things as now I sit with 0 IAC steps on a warm idle. The car also still drops in RPM and tries to stall when trying to park and occasionally when doing a U-turn.

I've posted my current tune and a couple of log files from today. If someone could please explain to me how I can use these logs to make positive changes to the drivability to the car that would be greatly appreciated. I'm also interested to hear any changes to the tune that someone would recommend, and why they would recommend them. Also, if I'm logging incorrectly and should be doing something different, please let me know.
    Attached Files Attached Files