Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CRC Error $040C

Default CRC Error $040C

i've updated to the latest builds and FW and just ran into a problem with my PNY 2GB SD card. I had SD CRC checking set to 'YES'. I could not format the card (I've used this card previously without any problems) nor could I read 'SD Card Info' (I got the Error $040C). When I made SD CRC 'NO' everything worked fine. When I made it 'YES' again it failed.

My 512MB PNY SD card works with SD CRC set to 'YES' or 'NO'.

With the 512MB card the V2 shows SD1 and wth the 2GB card it shows SD2, like it should.

Can you confirm you installed the pre-release software/firmware (7.5.6 Build 125 & 8.1.2 Build 105) and that your 2.06.35 firmware is dated 30 June?

Thgere was a lot of work done on the SD Card side (adding support for Type 1 & 2 as well as SDHC cards up to 32GB). So it might be that if you aren't running the latest firmware especially that there is a already resolved fault...
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Tordne View Post
    Can you confirm you installed the pre-release software/firmware (7.5.6 Build 125 & 8.1.2 Build 105) and that your 2.06.35 firmware is dated 30 June?
    Yes to all including 2.06.35 from June 30. I don't think it would have shown SD1 or SD2 before that update.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

It is possible (but unlikely) that the CRC requirements are different between SD1 and SD2. I will check. But if they are not, then maybe the SD2 Card you have has an incorrect implementation of the CRC routines (again unlikely) but you never know.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Thanks for looking into this and let me know if you need me to try something.

I've checked the CRC routines and they are not different for SD1 and SD2 cards, so its looking like it is possibly a fault in the SD Card or a configuration of the SD Card that FlashScan is not handling correctly.

Can you please select the menu option: F4 Options -> F2 File System -> F4 File Sys Info -> F3 SD Card Info, then scroll to the very bottom of that info display where it shows the CID and CSD data.
    Take a screen shot. To do that, click on the FlashScan icon in the Windows task-bar, system-tray and select the F10: LCD Capture option.
    Post the screen shot here.

Regards
    Paul

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PNY 2GB CID CSD Info.png 
Views:	245 
Size:	2.1 KB 
ID:	8560Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PNY 512MB CID CSD Info.png 
Views:	245 
Size:	2.7 KB 
ID:	8558

Paul,

I did as you asked for both cards. The picture on the left is for the 2GB (starts with 1B5) the other is for the 512MG. I could not get a good copy of the 2GB from the V2 even though it looked good on the screen (see Attached Thumbnail). I used Irfanview for a screen capture. The 512MB capture from the V2 was fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PNY 2GB CID CSD Info.png 
Views:	196 
Size:	796 Bytes 
ID:	8559  

I'm not sure how to handle that particular card. I would not recommend using it, even with the CRC turned off as I can't guarantee that FlashScan will handle it correctly.

So far I have not been able to find/purchase a card that behaves like the one you have.
    As soon as I can get my hands on a similar card, I will try and fix the firmware to handle it correctly.

Update: I've got hold of a similar card, I'll see how it behaves with FlashScan.

Regards
    Paul
    Last edited by Blacky; July 17th, 2010 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks for looking into it. I will use the 512MB and I'm sure it has more than enough capacity for me.

So far, I've tested reading/writing *.tun files, totalling 10Mb of data to/from the SD Card using Explorer. I've tried with the CRC on and off and have not had any problems/errors.

The card I am testing with as a 2GB "San Disk" SD Card.

I am using the latest firmware V2.06.35, dated July 10, 2010. That version has not been released yet, but (as far as I am aware) there is no difference for SD Card handling between the version I am using and the publicly available version dated June 30, 2010.

There may be a fault with your 2GB SD Card.

Regards
    Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast