Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I hate to be a PIA but same problem?

Lifetime Member

I know this is a piece of crap pcm,and you guys have long forgotten about it. I know you are busy. but whats the problem here?

I'm not sure what else we can do. I have duplicated all failure situations here and each time the PCM seems to be able to be reflash ok.

You can see in this case I deliberately interrupted the flash, EFILive couldn't not pick up the OS number once that happened, recommended a Full flash, but because I had the correct file I was able to flash in the correct tune with a cal only.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4Cyl3.png 
Views:	166 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	8630   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4Cyl.png 
Views:	147 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	8631   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4Cyl2.png 
Views:	155 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	8632  
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

How is it that you dont think you can help anymore? The first day I took this out of the box it did not work. Paul came out with the first july 05 prerelease a day or 2 later. He said try this, I did it worked for 4 days then did the same thing and didnt work. When it flashes it says it cant find my os number, it generates an os from a 1997 camaro. Im sure my truck has an os number, in fact we all saw it when it was working for 4 days. My truck is not a 1997 camaro and I dont think its telling efi live it is. So im to believe there is a problem with efi live. Wouldnt you think that. My ecm has set values in it. I dont think it has the ability to basically lie to efilive. We know its not lying because when the software worked after the update we saw the correct vin and os number.

Lifetime Member

When I try to flash, at the end when it fails it says to try full flashing a new os number into the ecm. Do you not recommend this?

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slows10 View Post
    When I try to flash, at the end when it fails it says to try full flashing a new os number into the ecm. Do you not recommend this?
    You mean you have not tried that yet? I thought you had tried that but that it did not work.

In that particular PCM type, the missing* operating system number can only be "side-stepped" by performing a full-flash.
    * The operating system number in that particular PCM is stored in the calibration area, so each time you perform a cal-flash the OS number is erased and is re-programmed by EFILive. If the reprogramming is interrupted or fails in some way the OS number is lost. You must full-flash the PCM to restore the OS number.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Lifetime Member

I asked about that last week but got no answer. If we have to talk guys I think we need to do it in this thread. Ross and I are exchanging pm's now. Im starting to figure out that you guys probably are not in the same office.LOL Thats part of the reason why alot of this got screwed up. To hard to talk to three guys in 3 different locations, at the same time, like last week.

Lifetime Member

Ive got great mech ability and got engine theory down fine. Tuning will be fairly easy as I understand what all the parameters do. Its all the software computer programmer talk I dont get. Like communications and protocols and what ever blah blah I dont get. I never flashed anything in my life. I thought I buy the efilive program and what im paying for is the ability to access my pcm and reprogram it. I didnt know I needed some kind of software or hardware degree to access my pcm. Now if there is a problem with my bcm , I didnt know it because I checked for dtc's and had none. But If someone tells me where I can find this star connector so i can isolate the bcm and other modules from the pcm so I dont get an interuption during the reflash that would be great. If I have a problem somewhere I need to find it before I do a full reflash , or can I try to do the full reflash anyway. Since I dont even know if my truck was the problem. Thanks

Lifetime Member

Im not sure if I said it or it doesnt even matter but I purchased efilive only 3 weeks ago. My truck has never been reflashed . And Ive never had any electrical problems with it. This 98 s10 is also a transitional year for GM its the first year they put this bus system under the hood. I believe this is a funky setup. its also the first year with the LS style 80 pin connecter pcm

Not only in a different office, different countries

Try what I suggested in my last PM and then reply back here, much easier for everyone to read along in the same spot.
    Oh, I don't know where the Star connector is on those vehicles.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

I have been reading on this forum for a week straight. looking at the different little problems people have with aftermarket radios and stuff. I dont have any thing like that. But I do believe its in the bcm connection somewhere. I actually pulled the bcm fuse out and was gonna reflash it but I chickened out because I thought I might screw something up.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast