Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Changed OS Can't Enable PE

Thanks Erik,
    I absolutely will keep you good folks posted. That way, everyone gets to learn from both my mistakes as well as occasional successes. That's one of the many beauties of a forum like this when used properly.

I probably won't work on this issue for a few days as I have some other things that I need to do first and it's 107 degrees F (42 Celsius) here today!

Steve

A brief update. I haven't worked yet with my replacement PCM (motherboard died on desktop computer and right side header broke at weld - very loud). Unrelated events, but both more pressing at the moment. Header resolved and replacement computer should be here in a couple of days. I'll now get to reload all applications and transfer all of my files & convert from WIN XP to Win 7 64 Bit).

I'll get back to the PE issue and let you good folks know what goes ASAP.

Steve

Lifetime Member

Just built my new desktop from scratch, finally was able to order some modern components (Phenom II X6 1055T -> going to OC to 4ghz, 8gb ram, HD 5850 graphics, BluRay rom, 750w psu, W7 Ult x64) instead of my old Athlon XP machine. My laptop has been running W7 since public beta, its better than Vista for sure. After spending this summer working to upgrade the company's desktops to Windows 7 from XP on the same hardware (plus RAM in most cases), just make sure all your critical apps work on x64. Ive struggled with a few things like an ancient wireless adapter than Linksys never released a x64 driver for, but people have hacked other driver to make it work.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Synopsis: I did have a defective PCM! I should have followed my gut feeling a long time ago.

Details:
    I can't believe that it has taken me so long to really start to get to the bottom of this. On Wednesday of this past week, my wife and a friend drove our Yukon XL on about a 150 mile trip. I had filled the vehicle with gas the evening before. The first half of the journey, everything seemed normal. On the return trip, the fuel gage went to dead empty and the low fuel warning came on. She filled the car up with gas and it still showed dead empty. I checked the fuel levels (there are two tanks on this vehicle) and both showed full using the EFILive Scan Tool and yet the gage still read empty.

This afternoon, I did a full flash of my replacement PCM and change the VIN with the BiDi control for that purpose. Even before I started the vehicle for the fist time with the replacement PCM (not new, bought from salvage yard) the fuel gage read full and there was no low fuel annunciation (sorry, I'm an avionics engineer and it's hard not to think in airplane). Then I took the car out on the highway and Power Enrichment works like a champ!!! It still needs to be dialed in, but it works great. In fact, I need to re-check speed density only and MAF only because the car runs richer in general than with the other computer. I've opened up the old PCM and I don't see anything obvious like evidence of an overheated power transistor or a bloated electrolytic capacitor.

So, long story short, I chased my tail like a crazy cat or dog for far too long. Not having the time to really devote to this issue and get it resolved has also been a big problem. Now, I really want to get things straightened out once and for all. I'll make at least one more post to this thread once I've got things tweaked in better for those who are interested.

Steve

Steve, good job that you finally narrowed in on it ... PCM's don't usually go bad, so something may have happened to traumatize this one.

Steve, have you changed to 30# injectors as B4001 suggests? Just wondering.

Ron
    2014 Silverado 4X4 6.2L
    2010 Camaro 2SS-RS L99
    2007 Sierra Denali 6.2L
    2005 1500HD 4X4 Quadrasteer 6.0L, COS3 SD

RonC,
    Yes, {B4001} is set to an injector flow rate of 3.773438 g/S (equates to 30 PPH) in all cells. I have the return type/constant pressure fuel system.

Steve

Lifetime Member

Steve, glad you got to the root of your problem! Finally you can get your truck dialed in now!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123