Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PCM Conversion Information

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    How do you tell Excel that you're entering just text and not math...?
    At the beginning of the line, hit the apostrophe, ' (AKA tick or lower case of the quotes key) and then type what ever you want. This tells Excel this will be text only, no mater what you actually type.

Lifetime Member

Taz, Thank you for your detailed input.

I do have a stupid question for the day...... Have always read about converting a Vortec to an LS1B setup and was wondering how did they account for the crank and cam sensors. You've shown that the Vortec's have 4x crank and 1x cam.... appears that "some" LS1B's had 4x crank and 1x cam too. Thought all LS1B's had 24x crank and 1x cam?

Reason for the question is that I would love to do LS1B on any V8 by simply using a crank trigger (4X signal). Do you have to use a certain LS1B OS to do it (i.e. Express Van OS)?

Use the 2002 Express Van OS. It does not support multiple coils, you still need to distribute the spark.
    Al
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

Lifetime Member

Hello Darren,

I’m glad the input met with your approval – often projects go awry with “new friends”.

When upgrading a Vortec engine (L35, L30, L31) from a black box Vortec PCM to an LS1-B PCM …..

Software
    • this swap is possible as GM continued the Vortec engine line for a period using the LS1-B style PCM – beginning in 2001
    • the OEM Vortec tune is written for a “Low Resolution” crank sensor (4x for V8, 3x for V6)

Example
    • for swap with a V8 Vortec engine (L30, L31) you would require a PCM (or tune) from an 01-02 Express van with the same engine
    • if the donor LS1-B PCM used already has the correct tune – move on to the hardware section below
    • if the donor LS1-B PCM is not from a V8 Vortec – then you could do a full reflash of the PCM with the Vortec tune, or copy the applicable segments from a Vortec tune into the LS1-B (both must have the same OS)
    • the 2002 Vortec V8 Express van used a very common PCM (12200411) and a very common OS (12212156) – which often makes things less complicated

Hardware
    • the original Vortec wiring harness is used
    • the pinouts from each PCM application are required – it is often easier to make a chart based on these, of what pin from the Vortec PCM connectors, gets moved to what pin location (cavity) of the LS1-B PCM connectors
    • move the wires from the Black/White Vortec PCM connectors to the Blue/Red LS1-B PCM connectors wire by wire (“pin by pin”)

To double check that your base tune is correct for the swap
    • check G1206 (Vehicle Platform) – an Express van should be GTM610
    • check G1207 (Vehicle Platform Options) – under the GTM610 column, the “Low Resolution Crank” row should be “Yes”

In a nutshell, the swap is possible because GM did it first !!

Regards,
    Taz
    Last edited by Taz; October 27th, 2010 at 05:54 AM. Reason: typo

Lifetime Member

There are a couple of corrections that need to be made to the .xls On the distributored Vortec engines--The V6 uses a 3x CKP and 1x CMP signal. The V8 uses a 4x CKP and a 1x CMP. That is a very nice document---Thanks for making it.

Jeff
    98 GMC RCSB 2WD, Internally stock 305 w/Twin T-3 junkyard Turbos,4L80e,Ramjet intake,42lb.inj., 0411PCM, COS3,4675LBS w/me in it. Best Time on 5 passes-13.01@110

Default Fun with Excel...

When I open the file, each block of rows is collapsed down to 1 row (I have to manually expand the rows in each block)...

how do I tell Excel to not collapse the block rows...?
    Last edited by joecar; August 24th, 2010 at 01:14 PM.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    When I open the file, each block of rows is collapsed down to 1 row (I have to manually expand the rows in each block)...

how do I tell Excel to not collapse the block rows...?
    I think Taz did a cut and paste from Word or something. I too can't modify those columns. If it helps, I will update my original Excel file which has each of the line items in a different cell. That way, individual editing will be easier.

Thanks again to everyone for their input. Does anyone know about the other PCM/ECM's in the list (E37, P11, P12, etc...) or if what we have listed is all correct?

Lifetime Member

Hey Guys,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the Excel file. It was a fresh table in Excel 2003 - no cut and paste. I just downloaded it (revision 1a) from the forum - to check, saved it, and it opened fine for me. It does seem to act odd if you select "open" rather than "save" when you click on the link. I also checked the table properties - lock / protect features are not selected. I have Excel 2007 on my other laptop - if that's the version you gentlemen are using.

Don't know why it's acting odd ....

Regards,
    Taz

Lifetime Member

Just downloaded it, and saved, using my other laptop - opened fine in Excel 2007. Are you adding data directly to the cells (that's the way I made the table) ? ... or in the preview window at the bottom of the toolbar ("fx" just to the left) ? ... troubles me that it's acting up .. the purpose of using Excel was to save duplicity of work - not create more !!

Regards,
    Taz

Lifetime Member

Hello Jeff (Lextech),

You are absolutely correct – the V6 Vortec used a 3x CKP .. just doubled checked in the GM service manual … serves me right for working late at night !

Good catch … thanks again.

By the way … I’ve seen some photos of your fabrication work – phenomenal !!

Regards,
    Taz

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast