Thread: Laptop Screen and bright days.

Default Laptop Screen and bright days.

I have a Dell C600 and I can't read the screen on a bright sunny day. I've found that manufactures have buzz words to describe the screens on some of their laptop models. Dell uses the word Ultra sharp and Ultra bright. A friend has a Dell with the Ultra bright screen and he doesn't have a problem logging on bright days. Sony has the X Bright. IBM doesn't say.

The problem is, searching the web on manufacture sites, they don't tell what display works in bright conditions. A laptop forum says that a glossy screen is bad in bright conditions.

Anyone know a fix or what works other then logging at night.

Thanks, Curt
    99C5, mn6, Vortec T trim, Snow meth injection, AFR 205s, ARP studs,Comp 224*112*+2*.580", YellaTerra RRs, PRC Ti's w/dbls, Supermaxx LTs, No Cats, Corsa Indys, LS6Intk, Hurst, Fikse Aro18"s. Pilot Sports 315/30,265/35, 04ZO6 Shocks Hotchkis bars, EBC YellowStuff pads, SS hoses, LM-1, EFILive, 2002 OS. RPS dual disc Clutch, DTE Strut Brace & output shaft.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

At the expense of battery life, you may be able to reconfigure the "power settings" to use full screen brightness. Some (most?) laptops default to a dim screen when running on batteries.

Windows->Control Panel->Power management.

or maybe the laptop comes with a Fn option (usually the Fn key in combination with one of the digit keys on the keyboard) to increase/decrease screen brightness.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

World's First Twin Screw Pontiac GTO
    2004 GTO. Blown H/C 408, stage 3 keyboard, billet tires
    2017 Chevy SS with dead hooker is spacious trunk
    2014 Chevy Cruze. MPG queen with my balls in spacious glove compartment.

www.aussiemotive.com

.. or move to the UK and never have that problem
    Get EFILive in europe (http://www.efilive.eu).
    2007 Escalade ESV L92 6.2L VVT.
    2014 VF SV LS3 Maloo.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Or wait for FlashScan V2, it can be read in bright/direct sunlight - or in darkness with it's backlit display.
    Granted, it won't show anywhere near the information of a laptop screen.

Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Quote Originally Posted by ringram
    .. or move to the UK and never have that problem
    Love it!

The new bright screens have polarizing filters but the shiny screen cover glares.

2000 C5 Coupe, 6M, Callies/Mahle stroked LS7 (441), Blackwing, Halltech, LS3 intake, 90mm Shaner TB, ported L92 heads, FAST 50# inj, not too much cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers , 3" catless mid pipes, Z TIs, track suspension, , 3:90 rear, EFI V2, LM-2, etc.
    PowrMax Performance

100 mm PowrMAF

LM-2 EFILIve package with TAQ -sLM2 V-2 serial cable> Package deals

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky
    Or wait for FlashScan V2, it can be read in bright/direct sunlight - or in darkness with it's backlit display.
    Granted, it won't show anywhere near the information of a laptop screen.

Paul
    This sounds like a saftey issue not being able to see the screen !!! . I think we should implement the use of V2 as soon as posible :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky
    At the expense of battery life, you may be able to reconfigure the "power settings" to use full screen brightness. Some (most?) laptops default to a dim screen when running on batteries.

Windows->Control Panel->Power management.

or maybe the laptop comes with a Fn option (usually the Fn key in combination with one of the digit keys on the keyboard) to increase/decrease screen brightness.

Regards
    Paul
    I use an inverter and the Fn button with the arrows to get full bright, I wonder if these displays get dim if you leave them on. I bought this Dell C600 used and who knows.

Speaking of moving to the UK, I did my first AutoVE log after I got the AFRs working on EFI Scan data and Dashboard.
    I drove about 50 miles in the rain taking my daughter to her Drs. While waiting in the parking lot, I adjusted the Main VE tables, smoothed and reflashed the calibration. On the drive home the idle and throttle response was greatly improved. I was logging again and looking forward to another adjustment when I got home but the sun had come out and I couldn't see well enough to connect properly. I love their fish and chips.

Thanks, Curt
    99C5, mn6, Vortec T trim, Snow meth injection, AFR 205s, ARP studs,Comp 224*112*+2*.580", YellaTerra RRs, PRC Ti's w/dbls, Supermaxx LTs, No Cats, Corsa Indys, LS6Intk, Hurst, Fikse Aro18"s. Pilot Sports 315/30,265/35, 04ZO6 Shocks Hotchkis bars, EBC YellowStuff pads, SS hoses, LM-1, EFILive, 2002 OS. RPS dual disc Clutch, DTE Strut Brace & output shaft.