Thread: Wideband O2 for diesels?

Default Wideband O2 for diesels?

Was woundering if you can tune a diesel with a wideband setup? the new bosch 4.9 O2sensor quotes diesel.

Thanks Bing

Lifetime Member

yeah WBO2 work very well in tuning diesel. very few people do it but it will yield good data to tune with.
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

'06 LBZ/Allison 6speed, EC, LB, 1LT, Leather
    Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

465hp/1008tq---7/25/09---Dyno Day Fast Specialties Tuning by ME

My LM-1 WBO2 has worked well, just be sure to mount the sensor as far away from the heat source (turbo) as possible or you will drastically shorten its life!
    Last edited by Racehemi; August 19th, 2010 at 03:17 AM.
    04 2500, LLY/A, 4x4, CC, SB, 285 Toyo's, Amsoil lubes, Access Roll-up Tonneau, ATS Stage 2 trans, ATS 5 Star Converter, Bilstein's, Caltracs bars, Cognito Braces, EFILive, Kennedy Diesel Custom Tuning, Kennedy Diesel headlight harness, Kennedy Dual Lift Pump/Filter combo, Prodigy brake controller, Spa DG 211, Trippin Cyclops overhead gauge mount, , TTS 4" Exhaust, TTS Xtreme Beta, Amsoil Ea filters, Banks CAI

Quote Originally Posted by Racehemi View Post
    My LM-1 WBO2 has worked well, just be sure to mount the sensor as far away from the heat source (turbo) as possible or you will drastically shorten its life!
    I find it intresting that you say that because from my experance loging EGT on my gas motor they are genraly 2-300* or hotter then a Diesel. I typically saw 1400* in cruise and anywhere from 1550* to over 1700* WOT once with my turbo setup. EGT probe was right before the turbo and WB was 5-6" after...

I'm looking at an 07 Dmax I might buy and I have a spare WB setup sitting on the shelf, so I'll have to play with it and see what I can find out!
    01 ECSB 1/2 ton 4x4 Forged 5.7 LS1 GMC

Custom KBracing front mounted, BW S480, intercooled turbo

So what kind of AFR are you seeing with the diesel? Where does it seem to make power? Does it have to really clean up the smoke before you get a AFR that will be in range of the WB?
    01 ECSB 1/2 ton 4x4 Forged 5.7 LS1 GMC

Custom KBracing front mounted, BW S480, intercooled turbo

My LM-1 displays between 10:1 and ~80:1 (AFR) however the output circuit is only capable of 10-20:1, so it depends on what you are viewing. I am serially attached to my V2. I found 10:1 is heavy smoke, around 18:1-20:1 it begins to haze, cruise is typically 35-60:1 and idle is around 70-80:1.

The Bosch sensor held up very well on my stock hardware, daily driven LLY. It was mounted in the front pipe, around the middle of the trans and it lasted 2+ years. On a 2.8" pull truck with the sensor mounted in the down pipe, ~2-2.5' away from the exhaust housing it lasted about 10 hooks.
    04 2500, LLY/A, 4x4, CC, SB, 285 Toyo's, Amsoil lubes, Access Roll-up Tonneau, ATS Stage 2 trans, ATS 5 Star Converter, Bilstein's, Caltracs bars, Cognito Braces, EFILive, Kennedy Diesel Custom Tuning, Kennedy Diesel headlight harness, Kennedy Dual Lift Pump/Filter combo, Prodigy brake controller, Spa DG 211, Trippin Cyclops overhead gauge mount, , TTS 4" Exhaust, TTS Xtreme Beta, Amsoil Ea filters, Banks CAI

Lifetime Member

How do you read a diesel if the lc1 only sends 0-5 volts which is a max of about 22afr? Is there a setting in efilive so the lc1 can read up to the full spectrum of 80:1?