Thread: LLY high Idle in DSP5

Default LLY high Idle in DSP5

Hey guys. Ive came across an interesting issue with some LLY's that Ive tuned lately. When trying to make a high idle tune in DSP#4 in EFI I modify the Throttle Injection Quanity to 25 from 400-1200RPM as the same when I tune LB7's. But, in an LLY the high idle will work until the truck gets to a certain temp and then it quits until you put the truck in gear then it will work. WTH??? Same thing if you attempt a lope tunes on LLY's using the same table. I dont remember ever having any problems until some of the newest software releases. The reason the customers want high idle on a DSP is cause they have no steering wheel controls and want high idle in the summer for added A/C performance. Is there something Im missing?? Im completely stumped, I worked on this tune for 2hrs trying to figure it out. Also, if you happen to just barely push the accelerator down it will jump up to high idle like its supposed to. Thanks for any help on this issue.
    -Danny-

"Napalm"........'03 LB7 Ext Cab 2wd, Spiral Grey Metallic, lowered, Fuel Rampage wrapped in Nitto 420S, Stainless Diesel S475 5-Blade over stock.

If I understand what you are saying correctly, the throttle based table is not used during Park/neutral zero throttle ops.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    If I understand what you arĂȘ saying correctly, the throttle based table is not used during Park/neutral zero throttle ops.
    Yes that is correct. I can not understand why I only have this problem on the LLY. I'm pretty sure when I had my LLY it worked all the time. It's almost like its in between commanded MM3's of fuel and when in gear it's raised or lowered just enough to work. But then again, when the engine coolant temp is cool enough it will also work until temp reaches a certain level.
    -Danny-

"Napalm"........'03 LB7 Ext Cab 2wd, Spiral Grey Metallic, lowered, Fuel Rampage wrapped in Nitto 420S, Stainless Diesel S475 5-Blade over stock.

What you are describing is correct behavior steming from the specific LLY high idle rpm tables. Originally intended for cold weather/engine, and shuts off during the warmup. Steering wheel controls are not required to activate/deactivate it.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

[QUOTE=killerbee;198030]What you are describing is correct behavior steming from the specific LLY high idle rpm tables. Originally intended for cold weather/engine, and shuts off during the warmup. Steering wheel controls are not required to activate/deactivate

Ok, I've also deactivated the elevated idle in the tune and it still does it. Now that I'm thinking about it, it only does this with trucks without steering wheel controls I believe. Nevertheless I'm still scratching my head looking for a table that would have an effect with this issue. I just don't want to have to put another switch and tap into the ECM for a high idle.
    -Danny-

steering wheel controls has nothing to do with it.

you can enable/disable auto high-idle with a accelerator pedal/brake pedal dance. Or something like that...I forget the exact routine.

Make sure you're using an 04+ TCM tune/OS. Auto high-idle on the LLY's wont work with an 01-02 TCM tune.

ben
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul