Thread: Help with locked calibration

Default Help with locked calibration

I have a ECM from a 2000 vette for my LS1. I recently had a local tuner flash it to a stock tune with a Tec2 then my tuner used EFILive to make some calibration changes. The problem seems to be a change he inadvertantly made that is causing the tune to appear "locked" to HPTuners. I can scan the ECM just fine, and my tuner can read the tune with EFILive, but I can't read the tune with any other software program. I am trying to get some details from HPTuners, but would love to get some help on a way using EFILive I can unlock the tune. Make sense? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When it is locked with HP,it is locked to the interface that locked it.So the person who locked it has to unlock it in order for you to read the file.You can still log and dtc's,but you cant read the file.

Lifetime Member

Did your tuner put a custom operating system in?

Quote Originally Posted by gmh308 View Post
    Did your tuner put a custom operating system in?
    No, just made changes to the "stock" calibration put on with the Tech2. Also, I think it was "locked" (at least from the HPTuners perspective) from the EFILive side not the HPTuners side. Does EFI Live lock the same way, i.e. store the lock code in the interface? If so, how would I using his EFI Live setup, unlock my tune? That is what I am really looking for, the way I might be able to unlock from the EFI interface. Thanks for the help!

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fred007 View Post
    No, just made changes to the "stock" calibration put on with the Tech2. Also, I think it was "locked" (at least from the HPTuners perspective) from the EFILive side not the HPTuners side. Does EFI Live lock the same way, i.e. store the lock code in the interface? If so, how would I using his EFI Live setup, unlock my tune? That is what I am really looking for, the way I might be able to unlock from the EFI interface. Thanks for the help!
    Your tuner would need to have explicitly locked the tune and this "locking" is in the PCM code. Did he lock it? If not HPT is known for being fussy on VIN mismatches and PCM segment numbers etc. If he did lock it then either he chose a locking key or he let EFILive generate one.

If he did lock it, can you tell me how (using EFILive) I can unlock it? Wondering about the menu commands that I should use on his EFI Live setup to check about the lock status and if locked, unlock the tune. Thanks.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fred007 View Post
    If he did lock it, can you tell me how (using EFILive) I can unlock it? Wondering about the menu commands that I should use on his EFI Live setup to check about the lock status and if locked, unlock the tune. Thanks.
    PCM Security - Toolbar icon that looks like a key or "Flash/PCM Security".

I think we may have found the issue. It looks like after the flash with the Tec2, the VCM Serial Number was invalid or something and EFI replaced it with a number: EFI07C65741. Apparently HPTuners can't/won't read the tune with the serial number of the VCM changed. Is there a way with EFILive that I can change the serial number? I see where we can change the VIN and BCC but could not find a way to change the serial number, although it must have done it at some point. Thanks.