Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Big update coming this week

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
    sometimes when I have a zillion different revisions of a single tune in my "tunes" folder I forget which one is currently loaded in the ECM. Maybe once it flashes a tune, it then puts a check mark on that file icon or something?

Ben
    I too have that problem from time to time. especially with the Allison tunes.
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

'06 LBZ/Allison 6speed, EC, LB, 1LT, Leather
    Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

465hp/1008tq---7/25/09---Dyno Day Fast Specialties Tuning by ME

IIRC, EFILive allowed you to manually set the CVN back in the day, so you could tell what tune you had loaded into the vehicle. They removed this feature due to concerns with warranty and the EPA, I believe. (It could be used to make a modified tune look stock or something). I wish they'd bring it back, as I also forget exactly what tune I have in my truck.
    Some diesels, some gassers... EFILive all the things!
    EFILive + RoadRunner = AWESOME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DAVe3283 View Post
    IIRC, EFILive allowed you to manually set the CVN back in the day, so you could tell what tune you had loaded into the vehicle. They removed this feature due to concerns with warranty and the EPA, I believe. (It could be used to make a modified tune look stock or something). I wish they'd bring it back, as I also forget exactly what tune I have in my truck.
    That would be a good way to be able to tell which tune you have loaded... Just increment the CVN for each revision and then you coudld easily tell which tune is loaded... But I don't know if the feature woukd be re-added for the reason above.

That ability to re-write the CVN will not be reintroduced.

Here are some suggestions for tracking calibrations which leverage already available options:
    1) Renaming files: After a flash to a vehicle you can simply rename the file (with a marker of your choice) to indicate that the tune has been flashed. I have taken to putting an 'x' in the front of the file name that is currently in the vehicle.
    2) Use the tune Comments/History: When flashed into a vehicle the Comments/History area of the calibration could be updated to included a comment (with date stamp) that the calibration has been flashed.
    3) Use a spreadsheet: Create a spreadsheet with customer/vehicle record and a cell which can be used to track the current calibration numbers.

Right now all of them are obviously manual actions required on the tuners part, but may assist with the objective of tune tracking.

If we can think of a way to implement such a thing we'd definitely consider it
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Too add to what Andrew said...

The feature that was removed was the ability to allow the end user to set the CVN to specific value. As was pointed out by Cougar281 that feature could have been abused to set the CVN back to a CVN that matched one of GM's stock tunes which would make a modified tune appear stock to GM and to EPA testing stations. The potential for fraud was too great so we removed that feature. The CVNs that are stored in the controller are usually a check-sum of the calibration data and so they will automatically change every time the tune is modified.

That is the standard and correct behavior of CVNs. You can display the CVNs for a particular controller using the CVN display option on FlashScan.
    Some (most but not all) tune files will show the CVN as the Checksum when you load it into the EFILive software.
    You could match up those CVN and checksum values to determine which tune was in your vehicle.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Paul, would it be possible to allow custom CVN's to be entered in specific segments, or is it an "all or nothing"? If you could enable it for one segment, what about allowing the "speedometer" segment to be customized? This would allow he tuner to tag the tune with an obvious number, yet it wouldn't be possible to put GM CVNs in the engine and diag segments.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar281 View Post
    Paul, would it be possible to allow custom CVN's to be entered in specific segments, or is it an "all or nothing"? If you could enable it for one segment, what about allowing the "speedometer" segment to be customized? This would allow he tuner to tag the tune with an obvious number, yet it wouldn't be possible to put GM CVNs in the engine and diag segments.
    Its all or nothing.

Some tuners use the 4 character BCC field to enter their own tracking values. There's no harm in doing that for the controllers that support modifying the BCC.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

We've had a number of requests for people to be able to enter in their own segment part numbers, that is something we will try to do for V8.
    If you search back far enough on this forum you will find the reason the CVN change was removed
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

So what version number was that feature it enabled on ??

Not sure exactly, late last year sometime, but it wasn't for the LBZ/LMM, manual entry of the CVN can't be done on them.
    Last edited by GMPX; September 9th, 2010 at 05:25 PM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast