Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full Flash option greyed out.

Default Full Flash option greyed out.

I want to try loading the 2006 operating system onto my 2005 GTO E40 PCM, because I read somewhere that full CAN stuff wasn't implemented until 2006.
    I downloaded a tune file from holdencrazy.com but the option to Full Flash is greyed out.

Am I missing something ?

cheers,
    Carl

Ignore me. It's working :-)
    The cable wasn't detected upon start up, even though it was working with the cable in other ways.
    I had to restart EFILive.

Hope I don't break my ECM !

cheers,
    Carl

Hmm. The bootblock numbers are not compatible :-( Should I override that check ?

Meh. Won't let me do it because boot blocks are incompatible :-(

Carl,

Do you have FlashScan V2...?

Which firmware version is in it...?

Hi Joe. Yes it's a V2 and I have the latest firmware etc. from about 2 or 3 weeks ago.
    The full flash option works now, it's just that I'm not allowed to use an OS from a 2006 E40 ECM on my 2005 E40 ECM :-(
    I hope the thing I read about CAN support was wrong ..

The check is in there to stop you killing the ECM.
    GM made a change on the E40 that makes the later operating systems incompatible with the early ECM's. I can tell you that there is been numerous E40's bricked beyond repair by GM's SPS for this very problem.
    If you post up what the existing Operating System is in your E40 and what the one is you want to flash in I'll double check that they aren't compatible for you.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    If you post up what the existing Operating System is in your E40 and what the one is you want to flash in I'll double check that they aren't compatible for you.
    What a nice guy...........LOL

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    The check is in there to stop you killing the ECM.
    GM made a change on the E40 that makes the later operating systems incompatible with the early ECM's. I can tell you that there is been numerous E40's bricked beyond repair by GM's SPS for this very problem.

Cheers,
    Ross
    Thanks Ross.
    The current OS is 12596734
    I was trying to flash any 2006 OS that I can find, which is:
    12603159 or 12604792.

Do you know whether there is in fact any difference in the High-Speed CAN / GMLAN protocol between the 2005 and 2006 E40s ?
    As it turns out, someone I know locally-ish has a 2006 LS2 with an E40, so I may get to have a look first hand.

So far, I am hoping that once I start broadcasting the last 8 digits of my VIN, every second, on the CAN bus, that the ECM will think "hey.. PIM! There you are! Let's talk!", and things will start to look how I expect them to.
    Right now, the CAN frames coming out of my ECM look nothing like the GMLAN specs (GMW8762) say they should, but then I have no PIM or BCM so there's nothing for the ECM to be talking GMLAN with anyway.
    I have had a look at capture from a 2006 Impala SS and everything looks perfect on that vehicle! All as per the specs.

The GMW8762 specs say:

This document defines a standard electrical
    interface between Platform and Powertrain
    systems and components on all GM (General
    Motors) cars and light duty trucks equipped with
    internal combustion engines. It shall apply to all
    Platform Electrical or Vehicle Majors in Model Year
    2005 and beyond.

I am worried that the 2005 GTO somehow wasn't included in that, and that only the 126xx OS fits the spec. I'll find out soon enough I suppose.
    Last edited by carl0s; August 31st, 2010 at 12:19 PM.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by carl0s View Post
    Thanks Ross.
    The current OS is 12596734
    I was trying to flash any 2006 OS that I can find, which is:
    12603159 or 12604792.

Do you know whether there is in fact any difference in the High-Speed CAN / GMLAN protocol between the 2005 and 2006 E40s ?
    As it turns out, someone I know locally-ish has a 2006 LS2 with an E40, so I may get to have a look first hand.

So far, I am hoping that once I start broadcasting the last 8 digits of my VIN, every second, on the CAN bus, that the ECM will think "hey.. PIM! There you are! Let's talk!", and things will start to look how I expect them to.
    Right now, the CAN frames coming out of my ECM look nothing like the GMLAN specs (GMW8762) say they should, but then I have no PIM or BCM so there's nothing for the ECM to be talking GMLAN with anyway.
    I have had a look at capture from a 2006 Impala SS and everything looks perfect on that vehicle! All as per the specs.
    FYI - and would defer to Ross on this for a definitive answer but 12603159 is usually the danger OS to flash into earlier E40s' (svc# 12597883) and vice versa that causes brickification. 12604792 is more likely to be compatible - but even if it doesnt brick it - in a regular production car it may cause some issues. With any luck GM has not changed the message set but with different emissions regs coming in for 06 maybe this might drive the changes. C6 LS2's had E38's for 06 whereas GTO LS2's had E40's. (?)

Do you have a CAN problem. Would be interesting to know what you are scanning the CAN frames with? And where can the GM specs be obtained? Is GMW8762 available from GM?
    Last edited by gmh308; August 31st, 2010 at 12:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast