Thread: Pre-Production car Issue

Question Pre-Production car Issue

Hello again.

Im trying to tune an 06 z06 but Im stuck at square one...I cannot even read the stock tune out of the ECU. The car is a pre-production media car used by GM before the official release. We have a pretty good history of the car and can confidently say it has never been tuned with any other aftermarket device, came into my hands bone stock.

When I try to "Read PCM Calibrations" and select the e38 ECU from the drop down it will connect to the ECU, download the calibration(about 4 minutes), disconnect from the ECU, and ask you to turn off the ignition. After all of that a dialog box comes up with the error "Range Check Errror" The only option at that point is "OK" and it brings you back to the main EFILive 7.5 screen with out the downloaded tune.

I have already updated to the latest 7.5 build (130), 8.0 is up to date build 110. Boot block and firmware on the V2 are also the latest versions as of today.

I can connect to the car and data log with the scan tool program just fine. I was also able to get the following information out of the ECU

Cal ID: 12601695
    BCC: YMBK
    Engine OP: 12605204

Having said all of that I think the issue leads back to the fact that this is a pre-production car. I also noticed with the scan tool software that it decoded the vin and reported the engine as a 4.6L v8 and not the 7.0L v8 it actually has. The car has a "y" for the engine code (4.6L), but an actual production z06 should have the engine code "e" for the 7.0L.

Im not sure if that is the issue with this car but it sure does make sense. How would I go about this?

Thanks

Can you post the file.

Lifetime Member

Joe, I think the OP is saying once he reads the tune out, EFILive throws an error and doesnt let him save the file.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Can you post the file.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Joe, I think the OP is saying once he reads the tune out, EFILive throws an error and doesnt let him save the file.
    Correct Scarab. When you go to download the stock tune to save onto EFI Live, it throws up the error after it go through entire download process and countdown.

Oh, I see, it goes thru the entire read and countdown, and then errors out instead of saving the file...

Exactly!

Have you tried to BBR the tune? Perhaps that might result in a saved tune file.

The OS shown to be used in the first post (12614682) is supported so oce you get the read out you can modify the calibration.

It is really important to keep the V7, V8 software versions up to date along with the V2 firmware. The software and firmware have a co-dependency which can cause spurious issues if there are mismatched.

As of the time of this post the latest software builds are:
    - 7.5.6. Build 131: http://download.efilive.com/Software....132_Setup.exe
    - 8.1.2 Build 112: http://download.efilive.com/Software....113_Setup.exe
    - FlashScan V2 firmware 2.06.40 (included in V8 download)

Please see these guides for more details on software and firmware updates:
    - Software: http://support.efilive.com/kb_articl...5404-IJZV-0820
    - Firmware: http://support.efilive.com/kb_articl...7243-SFGL-2949

'swingtan's idea of trying BBL is also a good one and should be easy to configure/test.

If you still have no luck at all you may need to consider a bench harness. This really shouldn't be necessary unless you have some aftermarket radio or other equipment messing with the bus while reading.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Finally got a chance to try and download the stock tune once again. I was able to use BBL to download the tune onto an SD card. Transferred to PC and was able to open tune. I have not tried to reflash the ECU yet with a tune, Ill update this when we do.

Post that BBL tune here.