Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Major DSP Problem!!

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonck View Post
    I thought I bricked my ecm about a month ago trying to do a full flash for a dsp5 tune too. But, I undid the batteries for 5-10 min, then read the ecm and it worked fine. I did not have the onstar fuse pulled, but I always pull the radio and info fuses, so this may have been my problem.

Try this with one of your "bricked" ecms.
    I had a buddy who was full flashing a DSP5 one night on the side of the road and he thought that he had bricked his ECM too but i told him that he should do as you did and everything went just fine after that. He now pulls his fuses and hasn't had a problem since.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar281 View Post
    FWIW, I've never pulled any fuses in my 04, and have never had any problems with reading or flashing while it had the LLY ECM & TCM.
    I have read sooo many times that some need to and some don't. I haven't started a database and tried to correlate the problem or the need to pull fuses, to a specific or a group of specific reasons why some people need to pull fuses and some don't. But what i would guess is that there is some combination of factory accessories / non-factory accessories and/or software updates or the lack thereof on those accessories that is causing the problems with flashing on the Delphi ECM's.
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

'06 LBZ/Allison 6speed, EC, LB, 1LT, Leather
    Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

465hp/1008tq---7/25/09---Dyno Day Fast Specialties Tuning by ME

I ended up getting my original one to work. The same day that I thought I fried it, I tried disconnecting the batteries for 30 min then tried reflashing again and it didn't work. Thats when I got ahold of Nick and he sent me another the next day, I tried it and it did the same thing so after reading and searching to see if anybody else out there has had this problem I came across someone who did and their fix was to leave the ecm unplugged for a full day...I tried putting the stock tune back on and it worked. Not quite sure why it worked but it did. When I tried flashing the ecm from Nick I had to buy another license and since it didn't work I was wondering if there was any way I could get that money refunded?

So if anybody else has a ecm problem and may think it is fried, try unplugging it for a full day and starting over...it should work.

Thanks for all the help everybody.

Lifetime Member

another quicker solution would be to disconnect the batteries (both) and wait 5 minutes and then touch the positive cable to the negative cable or ground to drain and capacitors that may be retaining any voltage. the operation is called "brain deading"
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

'06 LBZ/Allison 6speed, EC, LB, 1LT, Leather
    Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

465hp/1008tq---7/25/09---Dyno Day Fast Specialties Tuning by ME

I have frequently been able to restore life to "dead" ecm's. Some keystrokes work better than others.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Nope, TechII has no hope.

The only time I've seen bricked LLY ECM's was from a handheld tuner, I think DURAtotheMAX sent them to me years ago, do you remember what happened to them?
    Im the only one whos bricked an LLY ECM?? Im pretty proud of/impressed with myself.

That was definitely an odd failure. It would still start and run the engine, but it had literally shut off all communications to the outside world. Nothing could communicate with it, not a tech 2, not efilive, not the instrument cluster, NOTHING. Yet it would still start/run the engine...I have no idea how thats even possible, but I managed to prove it is possible...... Its like it was brain dead, but still had a heartbeat.
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12