Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2004 5.3 Rockcrawler

yes it is from an LQ4. ment to say that in the above post.
    havent been able to take it out because of time and weather issues, but will let you know how it all goes.

Thanks for all your help and explinations.
    Branden and Dave (Dad)

we raised the idle from 575 rpm to 650 rpm at operating temp.
    at idle the spark goes crazy. i'll get a log up tonight if i get a chance. is this normal? it does sould a little rough at idle, but its a dream off idle.

Thanks guys,
    Branden

Lifetime Member

Hello Branden,

Please forgive the following redundant questions …

Did you conduct a CKP learn (CASE) procedure ?

Did you bring the engine up to operating temperature and conduct an idle learn procedure ?
    · engine at operating temperature
    · set parking brake or use wheel chocks
    · shift transmission into “Drive”
    · let idle for 5 minutes
    · shift transmission into “Park”
    · let idle for 5 minutes
    · turn engine “Off” for at least 30 seconds (while parameters are saved)

If none of the above stabilized the idle, compare the contents of the Idle folder in the LQ9 versus LQ4 tune files that you used in the engine conversion. The LQ9 was DBW, while the LQ4 was DBC. I take it you are using a DBC setup ?

Don’t recall if the 2002 LQ9 used an 80 mm DBW throttle body. If you are a 4.8L or 5.3L DBC throttle body it may be a smaller 75 mm unit … again, memory failing me on this detail …

Regards,
    Taz

I did the CASE relearn right after the first start up.
    I havent done the idle relearn thought. this is becasue i didnt know anything about it. so i thank you for letting me in on the secret.
    problem is that we have no parking brake, or wheel chocks big enough to hold 47" tires.
    so would holding the brake interfrear with the test? because of the TCC switch.

The only things ive done to the new tune is use the LQ9 High, Low, and Base timing tables. As well as every single perameter form our old Transmission tab to the new tune. i did everything becasue of the shift points we have customized and we are using a 4L60E trans. and the tune uses a 4L80E.
    Turned off the EGR because we dont run it.
    Turned off all the abuse management i could find, and set B3609 to all zero's.

I took a log for you guys as we went down the street-
    first Drive 6.0.efi
    The transmission never went into 1st gear, the PCM thought it did, but did not. You can see this in the log, but will have to take my word that it never actually went into first.
    The power was better than the 5.3, but not by much.

So to make sure we didnt forget to plug something in that we couldnt see we re flashed the old 5.3 tune and started it. WOW it sounded great! idle was fine, spark wasn't jumping around, and it was crisp when the pedal was pushed. Dashbord was fine, nothing looked or sounded wrong.
    we put it into gear and it went into first just like it should.

Here is a log going down the street using the 5.3 tune-
    5.3 tune.efi

So we are left with the question, can we use this tune that is ment for the 5.3 motor?

I know you said to Copy and Paste from old tune to new tune, and i had done that, but i have obviously missed something.

would you guys like to see the two tunes?

Thank you for your help. I know these might be stupid quesions, but i still have a lot to learn.
    Branden

Lifetime Member

Hello Branden,

Rarely is any conversion without its share of headaches ……..

As you have discovered the 5.3L tune will often run the 6.0L engine …. I have known people that upgrade trucks from the 5.3L to the 6.0L without any tuning changes. The fuel trims will be at or near the limit of the 5.3L tune, but the engines seem to run OK.

While experimenting with the 5.3L tune I would recommend changing the cylinder volume to reflect a 6.0L engine, as well as copying over the low octane spark table (for safety). Then see how it runs, while logging applicable fuel & spark parameters.

After this test, then copy over the main VE table, and again see how it runs, while logging applicable fuel & spark parameters.

This will help narrow down where the tuning issue is coming from. If the VE table is off, or has been modified, you may need to create a new VE table reflective of your actual engine and vehicle combination.

Regards,
    Taz

Thanks for the help Taz. We did that, and nothing really seemed to change. Just minor changes if any.
    We went to an event, and it performed great. no codes were tripped, everything went smoothly.
    We are very, very appriciative of all the help we have recieved from this forum.

Branden and Dave

Off topic here but Blindawg, if you dont mind me asking where are you located? I can't tell much from your avatar but the terrian looks interesting.
    Making tires smoke since 1994
    Grand Junction CO

Planning on going boosted.
    We Purchased a whipple super charger off ebay, and come to find out that it is obsolet. Whipple only supports and sells 07+ models. Thus, making it pretty much impossible to find parts for. We Can make all the brackets neccacry to mount it. Only thing we are stuck on is that the original air inlet from the SC to the Intake had 2 42 LB injectors that sprayed to compinsate for all the extra air. That's Part we cant make.
    So we are left with the question, can we just upgrade all 8 stock injectors to 44 or 42 LB injectors and tune accordingly?

Thanks to all,
    Branden and Dave

Lifetime Member

YES! Screw the old method of adding extra injectors, the only reason Id use them now is if you wanted to dump a ton of N20 into it! Use some bigger injectors and setup your tune properly, it should drive better than add-on injectors too.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Thanks Erik. Thats what we were hoping would be the answer.
    Because of the jeep body we had to work around, and all the other obsticals, our exhaust is pretty confined, and doesnt let it breath as much as it really should for a SC. (this is what we are thinking at least) its stock manafolds, with two 2" into one 2 1/2" pipe. flowmaster 40 series muffler. What do you guys think?
    should this be moved to the blown section now? We are thinking maybe a winter project though.

Thanks,
    Branden and Dave
    Last edited by blindawg; June 1st, 2011 at 10:50 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast