Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2004 5.3 Rockcrawler

Default 2004 5.3 Rockcrawler

I'm 16 and i was introduced to this program by a friend of my dads, and i know a little bit more than the basics about it by now, but thats not much, so please forgive me if i need extra explination.

we have a 6000 lb rock crawler with a 2004 5.3 engine, 4l60E trans, and 2.5 ton rockwell axles turning 47" tall tires.
    i coppied and pasted the Z06 Spark tables on it and dissabled all the torque management stuff that we know of.
    we are looking for more bottom end power and anything else you guys think would help out. open for suggestions.
    i would put the current tun on here, but im not sure how, do i just attach it?

Thanks everyone,
    Branden

Hi Branden,

Welcome to the forum

Yes, just attach your current .tun file here, along with any log files you have;

see post #9 in this thread.

Do you have FlashScan V1 or V2...?

What was the donor vehicle for the powertrain...?

FlashScan V1.2
    04 chevy silvarado. we have a throttle cable instead of the drive-by-wire because it makes it easier for trail repair and simplicity.

i have no log files because i just learned how to BBL last week and havent done anything with it.

here is the .tun currently on it. i forgot that we increased it 10% from the Z06 tables.

Jeep Z06 10% timing enhanced.tun

Thanks for the help guys,
    Branden
    Last edited by blindawg; September 15th, 2010 at 12:31 PM.

Do these things:
    - set B3609 and B3609 to zeroes.
    - set B3615 and B3616 to 65% below 4000 rpm, and to 35% from 4000 and above.
    - if you have no cats, set B0701 to disable.
    - set D0961 and D0962 to 100% to avoid conflicting with part throttle up/down shift tables.
    - set G0913 to say 215 and G0914 to 210 (do your fans two speeds...?).

With that much timing, keep an eye and ear on knock... if you hear it knock, or if you see knock retard then reduce timing in those cells (use the scantool->tunetool cursor/cell linking feature) (always log KR).

When engine is under significant load, avoid knock at all costs (make sure AFR is not lean, make sure timing is not over-advanced).

You might try to enter your tire size in the speedo calculator to see if you can get VSS to have correct values (since this directly affect the shift tables)... you may or may not get this work, you have to play with it.
    Last edited by joecar; September 11th, 2010 at 07:55 PM.

the speed sensor is on the rear drive shaft output of the transfer case so it wont be accurate no matter what. (we are planning on fixing that this winter) thanks for the thought.

what exactly is power enrichment? i know the name explains a lot, but how does it work?

Its a single speed fan, we manually bypassed the computer telling it to turn on because we didnt have the FlashScan on the trail and our hydro steering was overheating so we just made the fan on as soon as the key is on. (we will fix that too, its still in the development stage)

we had it on the rev-limitter last monday going up a hill and didnt hear a knock. Next Time we should have the netbook ready to go and we will log it. is there a map already created for knock? if not, can you get me started on how to make it?

i'll make those corrections as soon as i get enough time to sit down with the computer and learn it rather than just throwing those numbers into it. i think this stuff is amazing and i wanna be able to figure this stuff out like you did.

Thanks fellas,
    Branden

i put all that data in and started looking at the knock retard and it does it bad at idle and deceleration.
    we took the 10% out of the high octane table and its still doing it. we'll keep messing with it, but what is a good incrament to go down by?

we are taking it out tomorrow for an event and see what has improved from before. thanks for the info sir.

Thanks,
    Branden

Quote Originally Posted by blindawg View Post

what exactly is power enrichment? i know the name explains a lot, but how does it work?

When the PE enablers trip (primarily B3616 (throttle position)), table B3618 becomes the commanded AFR.

Maps:
    - take a log;
    - goto the Maps tab, select a letter subtab;
    - click the hand/finger-pointing-down button (Edit Map Properties);
    - on the Data tab select the pid that will be the map's cell data;
    - on the Row and Col tabs select the pids that will be the row and col axis pids;
    - if you copy-with-labels from a tunetool table, you can do Paste Labels on the row/col tabs to have the map mimic the tunetool table;
    - save to file;
    - play with filter (two buttons with slanted looking grey box).

The scantool user manual has more detailed maps info.

The software is pretty amazing...

read the scantool/tunetool user manual pdf's (see under Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Docs and also ...\Docs\Tutorials).

More info: follow the links in my sig (I'm constantly collecting info).

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast