Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a 4L80E program?

Lifetime Member

Default Anyone have a 4L80E program?

I'm putting a 4L80E in my 2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 with the NP241 transfer case in place of the 4L60E. This is an Autotrac truck. Has anyone got a 4L80E file they can send me that will work in this truck?

The trans is being shipped to me next week along with a rebuilt transfer case modified to accept the 4L80E output shaft. It'll take me a week or three to get it installed as I'll only be working in the evenings, so I have at least that long to get the new segment loaded into my program.

I've also had a custom crossmember made up, and the shop that made it is planning to sell them once we verify that it works in mine. I can post up pics and a link to the shop once it's finalized for anyone interested. This is not a modified stock crossmember like what PATC sells, it's (at this time) a one-off piece formed of square tubing. I won't post pics until it's been installed though, in case there are any bugs to work out.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Lifetime Member

Hello Telco,

Glad to hear you got a handle on the Camaro shifting issue. What OS is the Silverado using ? As I'm sure you know, changing from a 4L60E to a 4L80E requires a repin of the transmission harness, and the addition of a second VSS - for input shaft speed.

For tuning files check www.holdencrazy.com there should be several compatible tunes for your Silverado with a 4L80E trans.

Regards,
    Taz
    Last edited by Taz; September 13th, 2010 at 04:35 AM.

Telco, PM lextech or hquick as they have both been playing around with this type of conversion.
    The Tremor at AIR

Lifetime Member

The conversion is straight forward, and a great opportunity to practice how to effectively interpret wiring diagrams, and put a manual to good use.

The first purchase that should be made at the outset of any project is an OEM quality service manual - but few people actually do this.

Regarding a 4L60E to 4L80E swap …..

The 4L60E and 4L80E use the same transmission control connector - just wired slightly differently (20 pin female connector)
    · the 4L60E uses 13 pins in this connector
    · the 4L80E uses 11 pins in this connector
    · 10 pins are common to both (between the transmission and PCM)

When converting the harness from a 4L60E to a 4L80E - remove 2 pins (not used) and move 1 pin to a new location.

Adding the “front” VSS connector for the input shaft of the 4L80E is equally straight forward. The two wires from this new connector both go to the C2 (RED) PCM connector.

Regards,
    Taz
    Last edited by Taz; September 13th, 2010 at 04:37 AM.

Lifetime Member

Excellent. It looks like file name 2000 Chevrolet Silverado Truck Automatic LQ4 6.0 Litre (09381344).tun should work. I've got a factory 2000 computer in the truck. The new FLT level 3 trans with the TCI low gear set is sitting on my garage floor right now (on a pallet) and I went the lazy way and got a Speartech conversion harness. Since I intend to use this for towing, and it's the wife's rig, I went with a stock level torque converter. FLT sent me a TC that will correctly match the older style 4L80E to my 5.3L engine without having to change the flywheel.

I'll also post up some pics of the job as I had a guy out of Dallas make up a custom cross member for me. If it works out correctly, he plans to sell them. I'll post all that when the time comes. This is not a modified factory cross member, this is a custom piece made of rectangular steel.
    Last edited by Telco; September 27th, 2010 at 01:38 PM.

Lifetime Member

UPDATE - Thanks to this thread I got my program modded to put the 4L80E in the truck. I've actually got the trans installed, I just have to clean up a few details before it's finished. Thanks for the help guys, every time I come to this site I learn something. I'll stick a link to the swap in here when it's finished.

Thanks for the update.

Lifetime Member

Here's the link to my writeup, it's on page 4. Thanks for the help on this folks. It couldn't have happened without EFI Live.

http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9577

Can anyone lead me to a set of TCM tunes for the 4L80E? Holden seems to only have ECM tunes. I am wanting to look at a stock TCM tune for the 6.0 pickup.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

bump. I know there must be a repository somewhere for this.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast