Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Anyone have a 4L80E program?

Hi Telco good job

Post a pic of your table.

Look at items 1c and 1a in this: 4L80E-Reference-Material - Common Hydraulic Functions

torque signal pressure adds to line pressure.

Lifetime Member

I'll do you one better. Here's the tune I'm going to load in for tomorrow's check. The one I ran today still shifted too hard, but the clunking shift was virtually nonexistent. I'm also happy with how the rest of the program is. The shifting and kickdown are all working beautifully.

I'm so glad this is finally starting to work out.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Telco; September 18th, 2011 at 01:04 PM.

Lifetime Member

OK folks, I feel confident enough with this tune to post it up for anyone to use. Anyone that wants to run a 4L80E from FLT with the TCI 2.75 first gear and 1.57 second gear, this tune is almost perfect. Use the trans segment out of this and you should be close enough that you just have to fine tune to your own tastes. It works well in my 2000 Silverado, with a 2002 program. When I get the engine tuned, I'll be posting it here at EFI Live and will be submitting it to holdencrazy.com for their modified tune bank. What goes around, comes around. Course, I'll miss how the poorly tuned program would bark the tires on every shift (even the 3-4 shift at about 85MPH) but the tune that's in there is far easier on the truck. Who knows, when I get the BCM fixed so the tow-haul works again I might bump the tune up a bit for the tow/haul mode and rename it the fun button.

Thanks for all the help on this folks, I'll be back later on when I get around to getting the wide band installed. Unfortunately we're down to one vehicle right now, so I can't take the truck down to do the job the way I want to.

Anyone who used the program that used to reside here, don't. It was compensating for incorrect parts.
    Last edited by Telco; May 28th, 2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: removed defective program

Lifetime Member

Hey guys, long time no post. I know how much it sucks when there's a problem and the resolution never gets found out, so...

After getting nowhere with my oil leak issue, I sent my engine back to the builder to find out what the deal was. He found some metal somehow got wedged into a valve, and some incorrect bolts installed in the main bearing caps. All this is supposed to be fixed now. I'm highly pissed about it but at least the builder worked on it again and found problems. I'm working on putting the engine back in now.

Now then, to the subject of the post. Since I was pulling the engine out anyway, I also sent the trans back to Finish Line Transmissions to have them look at the hard shifting problem. Chuck pulled it down, and apparently the 2-3 plate was drilled for a full-out race trans. The pressure reduction I had to do to get it to shift right also caused 3rd gear to wear. Chuck fixed the problems and sent it back.

As of now the trans is in the truck and I'm prepping the engine for reinstall. I'll post back when it's all in to report the results. I've already put a stock pressure program back in so I can start over on tuning the trans. My wife is still having medical issues so my time on this is limited.

Lifetime Member

OK folks, I have a final fix on this. I sent the trans back to FLT, where they found that they had inadvertently installed a set of drag racing plates into the trans, which was making it shift so hard. My attempts to correct the problem through software resulted in trans pressure being so low that it wore out some of the innards. They put the correct plates in, and replaced the defective parts, total cost to me was shipping there and back. I now have a stock program in, lightly modified to suit my tastes, and I now have the trans I wanted to begin with. Each shift feels perfect. No slop, no bang. Loving it. I'd have posted this up sooner, but I wanted to give it time to make sure, and get the slippage problem the TC caused that I installed on my own with no input from FLT.

There was a slight delay in figuring this out though. When I got the trans back I installed a Hughes torque converter that according to my research should have given me a better feel and a higher stall than the one I had in there. What I ended up with was slippage code P1870, and a very sluggish vehicle. After discussions with FLT, I swapped the torque converter back to the one FLT sent. The slippage code went away, the acceleration is back and it's running better than ever.

Anyone wants a good trans by a company that backs up their product, even after a year, FLT (Finish Line Transmissions) is your shop.

Cool thanks for the update.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112