Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a 4L80E program?

You can use torque reduction to fine tune the shift feel... you can use more than 35% if you want.

Lifetime Member

What is the most torque management I'd want to use? 50%? 75%? Thanks.

You just have to try it.....You will know if you went too far, because the motor will misfire.....

Lifetime Member

I believe some LQ9 equipped Sierra Denali's had TR as high as 65% from the factory.

Slow67 is correct - too much TR may lead to a misfire / back fire condition.

Regards,
    Taz

Lifetime Member

Good deal, thanks. I'll report back what happens.

Lifetime Member

RRrrrrrr.. seems like every time I get close it falls back out. I have the 1-2 shift perfect, and you can only tell the 3-4 shift by the change in engine tone and the RPM drop. The 2-3 shift is smooth first thing in the morning, but once it warms up I get a clunk in the shift. It only shifts smooth on a WOT shift when warm. What am I missing here? My current parameters are shift speeds are set to 0 on all gears. Temp compensation is in place on the 1-2 and 3-4 shifts, and the table is zeroed out on the 2-3. The shift speed and temp compensation were set to zero in an attempt to eliminate variables. Torque management does little to smooth the shifting out, have experimented with anywhere from 0 to 50 percent TQ. This leaves the 2-3 base pressure table to adjust. I've run the pressure anywhere from 0 to 90 trying to get this thing to smooth out. Is there a possibility that I have a valve body problem? As a reminder, I have a built 4L80E with the low gear set in it. I'd be inclined to blame the low gear set, except it does shift properly when cold and at WOT, and I'd think that a WOT shift would make the problem more prevalent if it was the gearset causing the problem. Any suggestions? If need be I can load my latest program up this evening.

Oh, and is there a possibility that I need to get the VE tables worked out before I can get this to work right? I'm taking the next week off and am thinking that I can get the wideband installed now.

Has your transmission been dual fed? Did your builder keep the 3rd accumulator? What did he drill the 3rd feel hole to?

You might have to log the transmission temp, then dial back the force motor vs. TFT amps. Then up the 1-2 and 3-4 to get them back inline.

Lifetime Member

I can't answer any of those questions. The directions were to build a 4L80E with a low gear set that would handle up to 500HP for a towing rig that would be driven by a woman. Needless to say the woman is not happy with me right now. I know that they drill holes larger on high performance rigs, are these holes in the valve body? If so I can probably get the builder to send me another valve body. I can't do much with transmissions, but changing a valve body I can do.
    Last edited by Telco; September 11th, 2011 at 11:38 AM.

Lifetime Member

Weird. I gave 'er hell on the way into work this morning before it warmed up. This is not something I like to do, but... it shifted really well until it warmed up, then it went back to the hard shifting on the 2-3. It did still have the jerk shift while cold, but it wasn't nearly as bad. Right now my temp compensation table is zeroed out.
    Last edited by Telco; September 17th, 2011 at 01:51 PM.

Lifetime Member

WOO WOO! Think I had a House moment, as it occurred to me that I was adjusting the entire table for the 2-3 shift, but the scan logs show that I'm not hitting the upper end of the torque table. And, it occurred to me that D0702 is not the entire pressure, but is additive to the base pressure field. This was scaring me a bit as I was originally and erroneously thinking that 0 in D0702 means 0 pounds. As soon as this clicked, I adjusted the table for the fields I'm using and dropped the high end way down, and yesterday's program ran tons smoother today. Instead of the jerking shift along the entire midrange, I had a larger smooth shift area, and a NEW hard snap shift like one would expect in an all-out racing effort. The jerk shift range was a lot smaller, and the jerkiness was not nearly as harsh. I'm hoping that today's program will have the issue resolved although I won't be a bit surprised if I don't have some fine tuning to do. Thanks for the patience folks, someitmes it takes me a little longer than it should.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast