Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a 4L80E program?

Lifetime Member

Shift quality or “feel” is the result of the interaction of desired shift times, trans pressures, and torque reduction. A “built” trans will have had hard parts added that will mechanically increase trans pressures - often requiring some compensation in the tune to arrive at a reasonable shift.

You took the time to post your current tune - will try and take a look at it tomorrow (getting late here).

Regards,
    Taz

Lifetime Member

Just getting started here this morning. Reread your post – didn’t realize the tune you posted was that which you are planning to use to address the shifting problems – which has yet to be implemented in the vehicle.

Either post the old tune, or give that one a try - and then report back with changes / continuing issues.

Regards,
    Taz

Don't know about those FLT things , who are they ? Any way , with a built trans or a TransGo kit it is best to take everything back to stock calibrations to start with , then adjust from there , as Taz stated .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Lifetime Member

Go back to stock TCM tune and work up from there. Trans builders do things like raise line pressures and change the hole size in the separator plate, so a few actually recommend leaving the TCM tune 100% stock (but I disagree and think it can be better with a little tweaking).
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

Unfortunately the program I was working with is gone due to some computer problems. But, the program I loaded only changed shift speeds, with no changes to line pressure. With the new program there is no change in how it shifts. Shifting is still fine below 50 percent throttle, too harsh over. The source program for the 4L80E came from holdencrazy.com.

FLT is the guys that supplied transmissions to a fellow named Parish who is supposed to be putting 1200HP to the ground through a 4L80E. As I understand it, FLT honed their skills by guaranteeing that they could build a trans that Parish could not tear out, so every time he tore the trans out they rebuilt it and upgraded what he trashed until he could not trash it any more. What I have is a Level 3, which is supposed to be set up to handle towing and 500HP. The converter is a low stall, supposed to be close to stock. I figured if they could handle this guy's truck, mine should be easy for them.

Here's a vid of the truck, and there are many more on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOm6H...eature=related

Strange a stock .tun should have tamed it a little .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Lifetime Member

You’re using an older (2000) 4L80E calibration - which did not appear to be “stock”. I updated the Desired Shift Times, Trans Pressures, and Torque Reduction to those from a stock 2003 LQ4 4L80E two wheel drive truck.

The shifts will probably still be too firm, but at least your “base line” values are now stock.

Regards,
    Taz

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    You’re using an older (2000) 4L80E calibration - which did not appear to be “stock”. I updated the Desired Shift Times, Trans Pressures, and Torque Reduction to those from a stock 2003 LQ4 4L80E two wheel drive truck.

The shifts will probably still be too firm, but at least your “base line” values are now stock.

Regards,
    Taz

Also, most builders on recommend a stock to as a starting point.....so that you don't break any parts from too harsh of a shift. A bigger feed hole (for each gear) creates more fluid flow from the same pressure, which is better than more pressure to create the same feel. Also a firm, quick shift is desirable....the stock-like slide into the next gear actually creates more wear and tear as the clutches are actually are sliding instead of grabbing. as long as your line pressure is under ~200 psi at WOT, you probably can't make it shift hard enough to hurt the trans.

It looks like a stage 3 is a rebuild with stock hard parts (all the rotating parts, etc) but with improved hydraulics. I'm not sure what the feed hole sizes are, but you can make the shift from 2-3 as hard as you want....it won't hurt the trans. 3-4 you have to be a little more careful, but its still difficult to hurt the transmission.

The weakest part of your transmission is the stock input shaft, these seem to give out around 750hp in a 4000lb car (some more, some less obviously), and then next is the 2.75 low gearset, which is partially responsible your harsh shifting....it is a bigger drop from one gear to the next, so more RPMs are dropped for each shift.

Lifetime Member

Excellent, thanks Taz!

I agree with the idea of starting with a completely stock program, then working from there. Unfortunately, if the trans pressure readings were not stock, then the 2000 Silverado program on holdencrazy.com's stock program link (2000 Chevrolet Silveado Truck Automatic LQ4 6.0 Litre (09381344) is also not stock. This was where I drew the program from, and I don't know enough about what the pressure should be to mess with them yet so those line pressures came directly from that program. This also means that whoever manages the holdencrazy.com site will need to locate another program to replace that one. Or, I guess that program can just be modded with this new one that Taz generated.

I altered my program with the new line pressures and shift times (I'd already modified the shifting tables with the spreadsheet on this site) so I'll try and get this in and tested tonight.

I'd also like to note, the program I put across may have been one I played with the shift times and speeds, but the shift pressures were definitely not touched by me.

On the low gear set, I am coming from a 4L60E which has an even sharper drop, so this trans should feel a bit smoother to me behind the same engine. The shifting issue was more of a jerky hard shift, not one associated with missing a gear between 1st and 2nd which is what the 4L60E was like. Since my truck has almost 32 inch tall tires and 3.42 gears I needed the extra help in first. I am SOOO glad that 4LPOS60E is behind me now though!!!
    Last edited by Telco; December 19th, 2010 at 06:15 AM.

Lifetime Member

Hello Telco,

It was the Desired Shift Times in the tune you posted which varied greatly from stock - but I now realize you had altered them - which explains that variance.

The other parameters may have been stock, just in an older tune - GM often updates these after production. I updated these from a newer tune to afford you the benefit of refinements GM made to the 4L80 calibration in subsequent years.

Hopefully it will be a reasonable starting point for you.

Regards,
    Taz

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast