Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2000 4.3 (test and learn truck)

Default 2000 4.3 (test and learn truck)

I have a 2000 S10 with a 4.3 and the black box computer. Everything is stock on it.

I'm learning this program and this is my personal truck so I'll be able to learn on it beings I'll drive it everyday and notice everything.

I don't have the tun. Off of it yet, but I'm just looking for suggestions for what to start with. What would you guys do first?

If I bump up the timming on everything a safe amount will I get better or worse gas mileage?

Thanks guys,
    Branden

Lifetime Member

Hello Branden,

Is your S10 a standard or automatic ? 2WD or 4WD ? I take it you have downloaded EFILive and are running the software in “Demo mode”.

Your 2000 S10 V6 as you know uses the black box Vortec PCM. In the 2001 model year this changed to the LS1-B style PCM.

A “0411” swap, and an upgrade to a 2002 OS would give you the greatest tuning options. If improved fuel mileage is one of your primary goals, there is an option to enable Lean Cruise with the 2002 OS. You will find information about doing the “0411” swap on this forum - just enter “0411” or “0411 swap” in the search engine, a get ready to read for days ! Similar information is available on the forum regarding Lean Cruise.

Check out www.holdencrazy.com for tunes that you can download, and use to get acquainted with the EFILive software.

There are a couple of tunes that may be of interest to you.
    • ’99 Blazer 4 x 4 auto (OS 09365085) - black box Vortec tune
    • ’02 S10 4 x 4 auto (OS 12212156) - LS1-B tune
    • “02 Sonoma 4 x 2 auto (OS 12212156) - LS1-B tune

Good luck …

Regards,
    Taz

Thanks for that info.

yes ive got all the software downloaded and have used it on our jeep only for shift points and bummped the timming up. its a rockcrawler so thats all we need for now.

But my truck is 2wd auto, and is currently... obviously very P.O.ed at me because i have the V1.2 cord and for the current PCM that is in it (the black box you were talking about) i need the V2 cord. so it must have tripped the theft system because it will start up, and then die instantly.

is there anything i can do using the scan tool to fix this?

Thanks,
    Branden

Lifetime Member

Sorry, I’m a little confused …..

The V1 should work on 2005 and older applications ….. including your S10. Obviously, given your post, you connected to the PCM.

Were you attempting to read / flash / log when the problem occurred ?

Regards,
    Taz

i was trying to read when it happened.
    right after i posted last i went out and tried messing with it again and idk what i did, but everything is fine now, no truble codes or anything.

and i'm not sure why it wont connect to it to read it but i selected the "98-00 Vortec" computer and the picture was right and everything and it comes up with an error message saying "V2 cord is needed" and my buddy that does this is saying the same thing you are. what can i do to fix this?

Thanks everyone,
    Branden

Lifetime Member

In the Scan Tool go to Edit\Properties\Connections …….. select the check box to “Scan for all cables” … and set your default to the V1 cable that you have.

Hopefully that helps …. I don’t have a V1 cable …. just a guess.

Regards,
    Taz

that did not work.

Thanks,
    Branden

Taz, as an experiment, what would happen if he selected LS1B 99-08 Gen III for the controller (would that work at all)...?

Lifetime Member

Hello Joecar,

Not sure what would happen, I assume that portion of the software (PCM selection) is there to provide the correct interface for communications with various OEM programming code. The vehicle is supported ('00 S10 V6 Vortec), and the V1 should work with that platform.

I don't do black box Vortec tuning, and don't think I've ever tried to read that type of PCM - no first hand experience there.

To determine if it's a Vortec specific issue, Branden could trying reading an LS1-B PCM (truck / SUV / F-Y body). If that also failed, then it would point to a probable setup / configuration / licence issue.

Diagnosing this type of problem is not my particular area of expertise !

Regards,
    Taz
    Last edited by Taz; September 16th, 2010 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Taz, as an experiment, what would happen if he selected LS1B 99-08 Gen III for the controller (would that work at all)...?
    i tried that and it said the pcm was locked or something like that, and to select the "Try alt keys" option. i believe that is what tripped the theft, but not sure.

and i also tried what you suggested Taz. should i contact EFIlive directly to solve this?

Thanks guys,
    Branden

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast