Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2000 4.3 (test and learn truck)

Good job

Do you know what caused your V2 to smoke...? Was it a missing ground connection...?

The PPL (purple) wire is the serial bus...

do this:
    - remove all modules from the serial bus (important),
    - check for continuity between OBD2 port pin 2 and the serial bus pin at each module's connector (should be the same color, PPL),
    - install all modules back onto the serial bus,
    - in the scantool goto the OBD tab and see if all the modules get reported.

Ask Ira what he replaced in your unit.

I don't have access to my manuals right now, but I'm pretty sure the serial line is a 5v line. If so, it will be less bright than the 12v line. Also the serial bus is active. That means there are signals from other modules that are on it even w/o the PCM plugged in. Put your test lamp on another vehicles ODB2 data bus, you should see the same behavior. The on/off, dim light on the bus, just means the bus is active. (The other modules are talking.)

The serial bus wire can be in different colors for different modules.

It is kind of hard to tell you where to look for the problem that killed your V2 w/o knowing what died in it. Post what Ira say's.

Ira had told me that there was power where there wasnt suppose to be power, which I figured that. But how and where, I dont know. I'm waiting on dad to get home to test light the DMax OBDII port to see if its doing the same thing.

Joecar:
    What modules are on the serial bus?
    Air bags, Radio, gauges, steering column?
    I will not be plugging the V2 back into my truck untill I'm 200% sure the problem is fixed. $800 is a lot to press my luck twice. Ya know? Haha.

I have not seen this swap done by anyone, which means no instructions. Learning as I go. <--- Have been doing that. A LOT.

Thanks for the help,
    Branden

Hi Branden,

Yes, depending on the year model: ABS, BCM, airbags/SDM, radio/entertainment, gauges/IPC, On-Star.

If you need a circuit schematic for any subsystem just let me know, I'll see what I have.

Power was the only thing I can think of that would cause a problem. I'll suggest that you had power on a gnd line. This would turn the V2 into a (burnt) fuse. I'll guess you are using the DLC (OBD2) connector from the new harness. Was the donor vehicle a CAN (vs ODB2) vehicle by any chance?

How many wires goes to the DLC connector have? All you need for the V2 is Pwr, Gnd, & serial. If you have more than one Gnd wire (common), and one of them is connected to a 12v line (the other to Gnd), this would turn the V2 into a fuse. i.e. Something shorted the pwr line to gnd, through the V2.

DLC connector (2000 S10): (#'s are on the connector)
    Pin 2 = serial bus
    Pin 10= serial bus low (not needed)
    Pin 4 = (chassis) Gnd
    Pin 5 = (signal) Gnd
    Pin 16= Pwr (hot at all times 9->16v)
    Pin 6 = CAN bus (If CAN supported)
    Pin 14= CAN bus low(if needed)

All the V2 needs is 2, 4, 5, & 16.
    Possible modules on the serial bus: Dash, Clim ctrl, VCM, Seat memory, Info cluster, brakes, vehicle info unit, transfer case, & BCM.

The GM class2 serial bus is a 12v bus.
    The test light would be dim when there is "talk" on the bus.
    i.e. What you are describing is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by FeetDry View Post
    If you have more than one Gnd wire (common), and one of them is connected to a 12v line (the other to Gnd), this would turn the V2 into a fuse. i.e. Something shorted the pwr line to gnd, through the V2.
    That is what happened. Sorry for the delay in response. Just been one thing after another. Thanks for the help on that FeetDry and Joecar.

I've got it running and have went down the street a couple of times, but nothing too much because of a squealing noise from the bellhousing, and fans are not wired up yet, and no exhaust. All of which should be fixed/done by sunday. Then the fun stuff starts.

I need a little help on the wiring part though. I would like to use the factory relays that are in the fuse block under the hood for the fans to help everything look clean. I'm using the A/C comp. and Starter relay. (both were bypassed durring the swap.) I Just need to know how those two relays work, are they switched by ground, or power? Controlled by the PCM or the Control Head? and what wire switches them on?

Thanks fellas. Couldnt do this without the help of this forum.
    Branden

Lifetime Member

Hello Braden,

OK .. trying to remember ... you have a 2004 5.3 L DBW engine swapped into your S10 ? Are you using a 2003+ 1Mb LS1-B PCM (Blue / Green) connectors ?

You want the PCM to control the E-fans ? Does the truck also have A/C ?

An S10 would have had 1 to 4 relays on the firewall (depending on year and model) - A/C, TTL, blower, starter, etc. - are those the relays you wish to repurpose ?

My apologies for all of the questions - want to ensure I give the correct advice & appropriate schematics.

Regards,
    Taz

Yes, all of the information about my swap is exactly what you said, Using that PCM. Sorry, I should have provided that.

I have the one relay for the blower motor resistor on my firewall from the S10. Im wanting to use the A/C and Starter relay from the 2004 underhood fuseblock.

Truck will have A/C.
    I put every wire from an 04 Silvarado into my truck so I could use the newer style gauges, and steering column. So basicly This is an 04 1500 silvarado now. The radio and climate control are all in a stand alone harness, not connected to the main harness for anything but power and lighting. The climate control is what the factory S10 would have.

The relays will be used to turn the fans on, yes.

Thanks,
    Branden

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast