Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2000 4.3 (test and learn truck)

haha. thanks Joecar.

it will run correctly with that pin in. (you were close, C2 pin 10)
    where would i get a resistor for that?
    and yes, im baffeled as well. is there anything i could do to my tun. or OS to have it just go through the PCM?

Thanks guys,
    Branden

so i havent fixed the tach, but i have a good idea of what its actually turning compaired to what it says so i'll leave that alone because im going to be putting the 5.3 in anyways and will adress it then
    and with the 5.3 i will have DBW, which will solve my cruise control problem as well.

i have questions about it though, is it it's own harness or does it tie into the engine harness after the TAC? i know the whole point of the DBW is to somewhat delay the signal to save on gas, but can i make it be just as fast as what the throttle cable would be by adjusting the tun?

Thanks guys,
    Branden

Lifetime Member

Hello Branden,

S10s work very well with a V8 - and a Gen III is readily adaptable. The Gen III engine wiring harness can be grafted into the existing S10 harness, and the Gen III PCM can be used solely (no 4.3 L PCM) in that type of installation.

You can also setup the powertrain as a separate wiring harness and controller - retaining the 4.3L PCM to operate some functions.

DBC is an easier swap - as the S10 is already setup as DBC. If using a DBW setup, you will also require an APP (electronic accelerator pedal) and TAC module - plus applicable wiring harnesses.

DBW was used for ease of “packaging” engines in various platforms - no throttle cable route / angularity issues. DBW also lends itself to an easy interface with traction control and cruise control systems. The rate of throttle opening can be very similar to a DBC system. I don’t believe there is any real difference in fuel economy between comparable DBC and DBW powertrains.

Take a look at Current Performance Wiring’s website. They have some overview information about integrating the wiring harnesses in this type of conversion. A link is below ….

http://www.currentperformance.com/s10wir.html

Happy Holidays,
    Taz

well the motor i bought is a 2001 5.3 with 152k on it.
    i already did the 0411 swap so i dont need to worry about the different harness for the trans.
    i'll be making my own harness from the 5.3 engine harness and grafting it like you said.
    We just got done switching cabs of an 04 duramax (it had been rolled) and so i ended up with the APP and TAC off of it. will this work for me or do i need it engine specific?
    i know the DBC will be easier, but i think DBW will work out better for me.

on the Fuel econemy part of it, correct me if im wrong, but i think they use it as a delay/ progressive tool. say you step on the gas 75% throttle, with the DBC you're at 75% throttle instantly, but the DBW it progresses it to reach 75%. it progresses fast, but its still a delay, which saves on gas. i dont think it's gonna gain you 5 more MPG, but it along with all the other features in the Gen IV will get you that MPG gain.

Thanks Taz, always helpful and its very apriciated. merry christmas.
    Branden

Lifetime Member

Hello Branden,

Sounds like you’re in for an adventure !

It has not been my experience that there is any appreciable difference in fuel economy between comparable DBW and DBC configurations.

Regarding compatible APP and TAC modules ….

Your current PCM (0411) is a 512Kb LS1-B style. The only Gen III V8 DBW calibration compatible with that PCM is from a 2002 Escalade / Yukon that was originally equipped with DBW. The only compatible APP / TAC modules are the 2002 variety - which can often be difficult to obtain at a reasonable cost. You may also need a 2002 DBW throttle body.

The 2003 to 2007 Gen III V8 PCMs were the 1Mb LS1-B style.

If memory serves, I think:
    • 2003 - 2005 APP / TAC / TB are mutually compatible
    • 2006 - 2007 APP / TAC / TB are mutually compatible

This is just from memory, and may not be 100% accurate.

To use the 2004 APP / TAC that you mentioned will require the use of a 1Mb LS1-B PCM and compatible calibration.

Happy Holidays,
    Taz

Taz, an adventure is what we aim for.

The Veriable Valve timing, displacement on demand, and the DBW all play a part in the fuel mileage. and please correct me if i'm wrong, i'm only assuming and not trying to tell you whats what. i know you know more than i do.

Would you suggest swapping in the 1Mb computer to use the ACC and TAC i have now, along with all the newer calibrations that come along with that PCM? or would it be better to find the APP and TAC that will be compatiable to the 2002 Escalade / Yukon calibration?

Thank you sir,
    Branden
    Last edited by blindawg; December 26th, 2010 at 03:10 PM.

Lifetime Member

Hello Branden,

To me projects are never about who knows what … it’s more important that the end result meets (or exceeds) expectations, and that finances are used effectively.

It’s your truck - you have to build it in the way that will please you. I just point out options, so that you can consider what additional parts and expenses may be encountered along the way.

You are correct that enhancements like VVT (variable valve timing) and AFM (active fuel management) may augment both power output and fuel economy. Your 2001 5.3 L has neither of these.

If you look at the EPA rated fuel economy of a similarly equipped 2002 DBC 5.3 L pickup, and a 2003 DBW 5.3 L pickup - there is little variance. DBW in and of itself is not a fuel saver. Your analogy of rapid versus slower throttle blade movement could indeed cause “wasted” fuel in a carbureted engine - as accelerator pumps, transition circuits, and the “secondary” (4 barrel) venturis could be activated. The OEM tune in a Gen III V8 has a PE delay built in (some people zero these out for a more crisp throttle response) - which helps to lessen the effect of an oscillating throttle blade.

Enough said on that I think …

With respect to your S10 - the most cost effective approach is a DBC setup. The S10 is DBC, and the 2001 5.3 L is DBC.

If you want a DBW setup - go for it - they work well. A 2002 DBW setup would retain your existing PCM - but require a 2002 APP, TAC, and TB. The 2004 APP and TAC you have would require a compatible TB and a 1Mb LS1-B PCM.

Either setup should work equally well - it comes down to cost and availability of the required components.

You mentioned the APP and TAC you have were from a 2004 Duramax (diesel). I don’t know if diesel pickups used the same APP and TAC as their gasoline fed brethren - you will need to confirm this, so that you are better able to make a cost effective decision.

I know you’re still in school, and that brings with it a frugal budget. My hope is that once you decide on the setup you want, the rest of us could provide assistance as to what is / is not required - so that you don’t encounter unnecessary duplicity in expenditures.

Regards,
    Taz

i ment you know more about the topic than i do. and i appriciate your knowlage and willingness to share it.

i am aware that my motor is the Gen III, and has none of the gen IV features. i do want it to be DBW, and i have gathered this:

i have an APP, TAC, and the harness for between the two off of an 04 truck. i did some research and everything im reading is saying that there is no difference between gas and diesel.
    i am going to need the TB and the harness between it and the TAC.

i have the 12586242 PCM, and the connectors for it. i'm pretty sure i can get the pinouts i need for the swap. only thing is, i have already spent money to get a licence for the 0411, i would have to buy a new one correct?

Thank you sir,
    Branden

Lifetime Member

Sounds like you’re off to a good start ! Nice to know the APP and TAC are the same between gas & diesel applications - I don’t do any work with diesel trucks.

The new PCM (12586242) you have is a 2004 vintage DBW 1Mb LS1-B style - it should work just fine.

Yes, you will require another licence to tune the new PCM.

Did you get a transmission with your 5.3 L ? What transmission are you thinking of using in the conversion ?

Regards,
    Taz

i'm going to use the stock 4L60e that's in the truck now.
    This is what i would like to use, but not going to happen untill mine dies:
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-271600 one hell of a price tag.

Thanks,
    Branden

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast