Thread: First logs - would value your comments

Default First logs - would value your comments

Just took the kit-car (Cobra) out on a brief run and logged the results. The first file, LS1A_0017.efi was a run up the road with some brief full throttle squirts (although I notice the TP doesn't get above 97%). The second file was a rolling drag start (only because another car started coming towards me and I had to set off before the logging had started).

I don't have wideband O2 and apart from the bits I've removed (EVAP/AIR/AC) etc. the engine is a stock LS1 (with LS6 intake, I think) running a T56. I have CATS but no rear O2 (have a Baker module installed that simulates them, apparently)

Thanks,

spandit
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi spandit, welcome to the forum

If you're running OS 12212156 then you should set the controller to LS1B (99-08 Gen III) in the BBL settings (via S&T software, goto Black Box Setting, edit the controller on each pidlist you're using; remember to Save to file, and to Program to V2).

In S&T F6 Device Settings, goto F6 BBL Logging, look at Data and set Logging Speed to Fast (10-40 Frames/second).
    Also, in scantool goto Edit->Properties->Logging and set Scan Mode to Stream-Fast.

If you have cats, then rear O2's will help you see if the cats are functioning properly (otherwise if they are not functioning they serve no purpose).

Look at the front of the intake manifold, if it is flat on the bottom then it's an LS6 intake... on the LHS (driver side) read the part number and post it here.

What plumbing do have before/after the MAF sensor (pics...?).

Do you have headers (you must have)...?

When you get a wideband, make sure it has serial comms output capability, V2 supports serial Lambda/AFR from most of the popular widebands.

Your car is pretty light so with a stock LS1 you have a very favourable power:weight ratio (you can blow away 97% of cars on the street)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0018.png 
Views:	208 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	8997  
    Last edited by joecar; September 16th, 2010 at 04:14 AM.

You can setup multiple BBL pidlists for your controller, for example see my Options.txt:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    spandit, welcome to the forum
    Thanks, didn't realise I hadn't posted before - been lurking for a while (and purchased the hardware over a year ago!)

If you're running OS 12212156 then you should set the controller to LS1B (99-08 Gen III) in the BBL settings.
    I think I did originally but those logs I posted were based on a custom set of PID's and I might not have chosen the LS1B set as the default (or is there another difference it would make)

In S&T F6 Device Settings, goto F6 BBL Logging, look at Data and set Logging Speed to Fast (10-40 Frames/second).
    Also, in scantool goto Edit->Properties->Logging and set Scan Mode to Stream-Fast.

If you have cats, then rear O2's will help you see if the cats are functioning properly (if they are not functioning they serve no purpose).
    Will do that. I think the only reason I kept the CATS is for the UK emissions tests on the MOT - have been told they won't make a lot of difference to the power, especially in such a light car!

Look at the front of the intake manifold, if it is flat on the bottom then it's an LS6 intake... on the LHS (driver side) read the part number and post it here.
    Driver's side is RHS (I'm in the UK)!! Number is 1257 3572 and it looks flat on the bottom but difficult to tell as pretty cramped in the engine bay.

What plumbing do have before/after MAF (pics...?).
    In front of the MAF I have a K&N style (but not K&N) conical filter. The plan was to fit one of those T-piece mods but I can't get it to fit in the nose. Behind that I have, believe it or not, a toilet pan connector which was fitted as a temporary measure about 5 years ago. It's air-tight and has the IAT sensor in it so don't see a need to replace it

Do you have headers (you must have)...?
    Although the engine and transmission are pulled out of a Firebird, I'm using Corvette manifolds (cast iron jobs) - plan to upgrade to headers in due course but too much going on to start ripping it apart at the moment

When you get a wideband, make sure it has serial comms output capability, V2 supports serial Lambda/AFR from most of the popular widebands.

Your car is pretty light so with a stock LS1 you have a very favourable power:weight ratio (you can blow away 97% of cars on the street)
    I'll probably go for an LC1 as that seems to be well supported. Would I have to swap my normal sensors every time I go for a drive or does this function as a narrow-band as well? The car is certainly pretty rapid but wanted to check it wasn't running too rich/etc. It overheated a while back and went into limp-home, which saved the engine (although it sounded a bit rough!)
    www.creffieldcobra.co.uk

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

At this point in your Tune (near stock) things are pretty 'easy' to tune.

Your Fuel Trims look good..O2's look decent.your DYNCYLAIR is a little higher than CYLAIR, which may indicate the VE Table is slightly over-estimating Airflow..(no biggie at this point).

+1 on the wideband. Your fueling is probably utilizing the stock tune..so it appears very rich at WOT (Commanded EQ). I would work on PE Fuel and Spark first.

Otherwise..not bad..Enjoy..
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

Ah, UK, cool

12573572 is one of the several part numbers for LS6 manifold.

HO2Sx1 voltages indicate that your WOT AFR may be ok... but it is best to verify with a wideband... like Shawn said, you may be too rich.

What caused it to overheat...? In hot mode it runs on alternating pairs of 4 cylinders.

What caused it to overheat...? In hot mode it runs on alternating pairs of 4 cylinders.
    No coolant in the engine was my guess :o (traced to a leak in the radiator which has now been plugged with JB Weld - another great product from the US... although my engine was made in Canadia)

Quote Originally Posted by WeathermanShawn View Post
    At this point in your Tune (near stock) things are pretty 'easy' to tune.

Your Fuel Trims look good..O2's look decent.your DYNCYLAIR is a little higher than CYLAIR, which may indicate the VE Table is slightly over-estimating Airflow..(no biggie at this point).

+1 on the wideband. Your fuelling is probably utilizing the stock tune..so it appears very rich at WOT (Commanded EQ). I would work on PE Fuel and Spark first.

Otherwise..not bad..Enjoy..
    Cool, thanks for looking. Don't understand most of what you say but I'll get the hang of it sooner or later! If I did manage to fit that second conical filter (thus doubling the surface area of the intake) would that change things dramatically? I've been offered an LS6 cam which I'm told is a worthwhile upgrade