Thread: VPS relearn

Default VPS relearn

Mice chewed through the wiring on my variable vane position sensor and I don't have much of an appetite for this kind of thing (sorry for the pun).

I installed a new VPS on a 05 kodiak with a LLY. It doesn't work and keeps throwing the 2563, 2565 and 0046 codes and putting the vechicle into limp more. From what I learned, the sensor will not work until it is connected to a Tech II and a relearn proceedure is applied. Can anyone on this forum confirm or deny whether this is true before I have to limp 20 miles to a dealer? I thought I had read somewhere a while back that this can be done with EFILive. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I would think that lots of VPS's have been replaced since older ones are known to fail and have been superceeded by a newer design. Any help anyone?

Thanks in advance,
    Larry

I guess noboby is certain whether you must use a Tech II to "relearn" the VPS when replacing it or whether EFILive can do the job.

In the meantime I started looking into other potential issues and I'll be ... if the mice hadn't eaten through the new sensor! Apparently they like the special teflon coating on the VPS censor wire. Took both censors apart and tore into them far enough to get to enough wire to splice and rebuild the units. Will test both units tomorrow. Shouldn't the first one still talk to the ECM correctly? I looked into other things and found the turbo is free and has no excess play in the shaft, the control solenoid is working correctly and can manually spin up the vanes. I did find the exhaust brake was jammed shut. It appears that was causing the limp mode and not the underboost codes. I can now drive the vechile without it going into limp mode but it still has no boost and throws the 0299, 0046, 2563 or 2565 codes. Everything seems to be fine except the VPS and ECM don't seem to like each other. Correct me if I'm wrong but I would think that whatever the GM "turbo relearn" process is that it isn't any more than putting data into a table that the ECM can read???? If so, shouldn't EFILive be able to do that?

I'd greatly appreciate any ideas, advise of knowledge people have to share on this issue.

Thanks,
    Larry

BTW, I have reflashed the ECM with the stock tune a couple of times hoping that might reset something but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

For what it's worth, it appears you must run a "relearn proceedure" when replacing the VPS with a newer superceeded one (may not have to relearn if you are replacing the sensor with an identical one - this sensor has gone through several updates). I repaired the old and new sensor and tried both. No boost with the new sensor and the typical codes are thrown. With the repaired original sensor put back in everything works fine again! I have good boost and no codes. I've also wrapped the wires in tin foil hoping that will keep the mice from chewing through the wires again. They must really like teflon.

As I learn more about EFILive I'll try to find a table and data somewhere that allows the ECM and sensor to do their thing.

Hi Larry...

I don't know any of the answers to your questions (hopefully someone will soon)... but, welcome to the forum

Thanks. I'm definitely a newbie on the sight and with EFILive but I've been around motors all my life. Hopefully, my turmoils will make life a little easier for the next guy with the same issues. I'm a happy camper right now because everything is working well. Got my DSP5 switch installed and will install a DSP5 tune as soon as it is ready. Then I can start looking deeper into the software.