R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Default Idle Tips & Tricks

In-Memory-of-Shawn-Sankey

LS1 Idle Tips & Tricks

The Basics:

1. Proper Fueling
    2. Enough Base Spark
    3. Enough Desired Airflow.

Make the least amount of changes to maximize Idle!
    Do not Alter the Following:

1. IAC Effective Area (unless different TB size).
    2. Start-Up Airflow Corrections
    3. Airflow Parameter(s) that affect Idle.

1. B0101-Main VE Table: Perform Calc.VET or AutoVE for the Idle Rpm's 800- 1200. For 400 Rpm's extrapolate the 800 Rpm Values minus 10%.

2. B4307-Desired Airflow: Log SAE.MAF (g/s) vs ECT at Idle. The goal is to have your MAF, VE, and Desired Airflow all utilizing identical Airflow Values. RAFIG may produce values too low.

3. B4352-Cat Light-off Idle Offset Multiplier: Make Multiplier zero (0). Eliminates additional Airflow Source while tuning Idle.

4. B4504- Airflow learning Control Delay: Change per Idle Tutorial from 1.3 to 4.3 seconds.

5. B4512, B4514, B4515- Learning Parameters: Per Idle Tutorial.

6. B4309-Throttle Cracker Airflow in Gear (TC): Utilize the least amount of air to prevent Rpm's hanging (cruise control), but enough to prevent excessive engine braking and lack of throttle response. A great 'Stall Saver' is to add +4 g/s to the 400 Rpm Values. A good TC Table will gradually decrease throughout the RPM and MPH range, with no 'holes' or added air. I use a 98 Camaro LS1 Automatic TC Table with about 33% less air (-33%).

7. B4315-B4320 Throttle Follower: Identical values as Idle Tutorial. Great way to get additional Air when you press the throttle.

8. B5932-Base Spark in Gear: Add +4 degrees to Spark Values in the 400 RPM Idle Region, and +8 to to the 0 RPM Idle Region on Base Spark. If the car wants to stall you automatically get a bump in Spark to help prevent Spark for going to low. If your car wants to stall when you shift into gear (High-Octane Spark), then your Spark is probably dropping to low. Your High Octane Spark and Base Spark in gear should be within 4 degrees of each other.

Note: Tables are for Illustrative Purposes only. Use discretion in modifying Tune..

LS1 CAM/IDLE BASE Tune & IDLE PDF (See Below) **
    Credits: SSpdDmon's EFILive's Idle Tutorial:http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?4661-Idle-Tuning-Helpful-Info-Inside.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by joecar; June 15th, 2014 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Edit Attachments..
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

Lifetime Member

Thank you WeathermanShawn !!!

I've been in the industry for several decades, but consider myself "new" to the EFILive software as I haven't been using it (or tuning EFI engines) for very long. I use the Idle tutorial you metioned in the first post, but more "how to" info is always welcome.

Acheiving an idle that is reasonable (given components used), and acceptable to the customer is often a challenge for me.

I probably won't have much (if anything) to add to this thread .... but I'll be reading it often !

Regards,
    Taz

Quote Originally Posted by WeathermanShawn View Post
    If anybody has unique tips and tricks for Auto's that would help a lot.
    Grow some nuts & drive a manual.
    Seriously though good work Shawn. I will be tuning a large cammed 346 later today. I will keep the logs etc & put some notes together with the process I use. Hopefully watching the process through logs may help some people get a grasp on what we are looking for.
    The Tremor at AIR

Idle is one of the more difficult/tedious areas... so this thread is specifically for LS1B/LS1A idle tuning... anyone with experience please do add your comments.

Thanks Shawn for starting a specific thread.

Any non-idle material will be moved to a new thread.

This helps out a ton. I need to change my idle and was trying to get all the information on it before I started.
    Thanks for the great write up.

Thank you WeathermanShawn !!!

I've been in the industry for several decades, but consider myself "new" to the EFILive software as I haven't been using it (or tuning EFI engines) for very long. I use the Idle tutorial you metioned in the first post, but more "how to" info is always welcome.

Acheiving an idle that is reasonable (given components used), and acceptable to the customer is often a challenge for me.

I probably won't have much (if anything) to add to this thread .... but I'll be reading it often !

Regards,

Taz

Thanks Taz:

Please feel free to comment. We welcome your expertise along with many others.

Very few of us totally understand the workings of the IAC in combination with some of the features of closed-loop tuning.

At some point I will try to synthesize all the information in the next few weeks. Hopefully we can condense it all into 'one-stop' Idle Tuning resource.

If anybody has unique tips and tricks for Auto's that would help a lot.

..Thanks..

Grow some nuts & drive a manual.
    Seriously though good work Shawn. I will be tuning a large cammed 346 later today. I will keep the logs etc & put some notes together with the process I use. Hopefully watching the process through logs may help some people get a grasp on what we are looking for.

Thats a good one Mick!

I would definitely appreciate any Tips and procedures you might have Mick. You see a whole lot more vehicles and tunes than I do..especially with Open-Loop.

This helps out a ton. I need to change my idle and was trying to get all the information on it before I started.
    Thanks for the great write up.

Your welcome.

If you encounter any specific problems after using the Idle Tutorial or 'Tips & Tricks' don't hesitate to post up a thread. If you have a Tune & Log that will always help a lot!

Thanks.
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband

Thanks for the information Weatherman,

I have a cam with 6 degrees of overlap @ 0.50".

Before the cam when I used the rafig procedure all was good. After the cam I found the values to be too low also.

Using the maf G/s it is much better.

I am wondering why the rafig values are not valid after the cam install, effects of reversion?

Brad
    99 Firebird Formula, M6, LS6 intake, headers, catback, lid, BRE cam.

EFI V2, V7.5.5 (Build 149)
    V8.1.2 (Build 142)
    Boot Block 2.07.01 Oct 14, 2010
    Firmware 2.07.05 Jan 29, 2011
    LC-1 with serial cable
    COS 5

Brad:

Thanks for the feedback and the compliment.

As to why RAFIG values sometimes appear to be too low for cammed cars, and why MAF Airflow seems to work, is still unresolved in my mind ( I don't know..).

The intracity of the IAC function and how it interacts with fueling (MAF/VE) is pretty complex. I know 5.7ute and others have been studying actual case studies to understand their function more.

But I kinda fell upon that observation by happenstance. I knew fueling functions were primarily controlled by the MAF and VE, so I figured that out first. So once LTFT & STFT Trims were +/0, I just used that for my Desired Airflow.

While I would like to take credit for that 'discovery' a search of the literature shows others have figured that out also.

Thanks again, and let us know how it goes..

..Shawn..
    Last edited by WeathermanShawn; September 30th, 2010 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Grammer

Now that I've got my Calc. VE tune done, I can work on my Desired Airflow. I'm trying to create the map in step 2 above. I see you're using ECT for the rows. Are you using SAE.MAF for the column? What are you using for data?
    Last edited by blsnelling; October 3rd, 2010 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blsnelling View Post
    Now that I've got my Calc. VE tune done, I can work on my Desired Airflow. I'm trying to create the map in step 2 above. I see you're using ECT for the rows. Are you using SAE.MAF for the column? What are you using for data?
    For the column, try this:

goto that table in the tunetool, highlight either the column of interest or the whole table and do rightclick->Copy With Labels...

then in the scantool, on that map's column tab click Paste Labels.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast