Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First tune record - help a newbie

Lifetime Member

As a disclaimer, I mainly do Gen III conversions – but have a conversion similar to yours booked for later in the year, so I'm trying to get up to speed on E38 / T43 swaps.

I took a quick look at your VATS parameters G1204 - G1216.

From the research I’ve done, there a couple of possible issues associated with your “no start” condition.

You are running ECM OS12614088 - this particular OS in a transplant seems to require a VATS patch + VATS Type 2 + crank relay current. I’m assuming your tuner applied the patch, as G1210 is properly set to Type 2. You will need to apply power to the crank / starter relay (from ECM) in your wiring harness.

After this, if the engine still fails to start, some of your VATS parameters are not consistent with what others have successfully used.

Try these changes only if the engine fails to start after applying power to the wiring harness as described above …..

G1205 – Yes
    G1208 – Enabled
    G1215 – 600
    G1216 – Yes

Regards,
    Taz

Thanks so much for the help. Can you walk me through uploading these changes in EFIlive Tune 7.5 to the car? I must have done something on the "read" yesterday since the car is not cranking now.

1. Do I need separate uploads, eg one for engine and one for tranny?
    2. Does the laptop, Flashscan and car all need to be hooked up at the same time?
    3. tune 7.5 keeps saying I am in demo mode. I did register from "help" menu.
    4. Upload instructions.

All software and firmware is up to date.
    Just need to get this program from 7.5 to the car.
    ECM does have power on crank.

Thanks all again.
    Last edited by 68problemchild; September 19th, 2010 at 06:11 AM.

Lifetime Member

OK … I want to avoid any errors in communication ….

You stated “ECM does have power on crank” …….

The ECM should have battery power all the time, and ignition power when the key is turned to “on” or “start”.

Just to be clear, those power circuits are not what my last post refers to. In the original 2007 Escalade your engine / ECM came from, there would have been a wire coming from a pin on the ECM, to the starter relay. The ECM needs to “see” this circuit powered to enable an engine start.

If your wiring harness (not sure if it’s a custom harness) did not come setup with this relay, or instructions on how to build your own circuit, then that circuit still remains to be created before the engine will start.

Regarding the Tune Tool being in “Demo mode” – in the Tune Tool go to Help\Register EFILive and confirm your:
    • FlashScan serial #
    • Type
    • Issue date
    • Key

A missing “0” or transposed digit is often the problem. Once these values are correctly entered, the software will come out of Demo mode. If not, send support an email.

Regards,
    Taz

Quote Originally Posted by 68problemchild
    1. Do I need separate uploads, eg one for engine and one for tranny?
    Yes, since you have separate engine trans controllers.

2. Does the laptop, Flashscan and car all need to be hooked up at the same time?
    Yes, laptop -> FSV2 -> OBD-II port

3. tune 7.5 keeps saying I am in demo mode. I did register from "help" menu.
    Did you enter the info exactly from the Blue Card...? Carefully double check your entries as Taz said.

4. Upload instructions.
    From laptop open tunetool, open engine or trans file, then do Flash->Program PCM Calibrations (take note of the button icon, it has a narrow red down arrow, you will also see this same button on the toolbar... do not use the button with the wide red arrow)...

while flashing you will see a progress bar, when it finishes it will ask you to turn off ignition and wait 15 seconds (with ignition off).

All software and firmware is up to date.
    There are new ones:
    http://download.efilive.com/Software....133_Setup.exe
    http://download.efilive.com/Software....115_Setup.exe

For 115, connect your V2 to your PC and do this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacky
    To upgrade your V2, start the version 8 "EFILive HAPI" application using: Windows Start Menu->All Programs->EFILive->V8->EFILive HAPI.
    Click on the the small FlashScan icon that will appear at the end of the Windows task bar.
    Select the F6: Firmware page. Click [Refresh]. Click on the [Update] button to update your V2 firmware.
    That should bring your V2 firmware to 2.6.41.

If you already formatted your SD card then you don't need to again.
    In V2 options, did you have FileSys set to SD card when you formatted it...?

Just need to get this program from 7.5 to the car.
    Do it first using laptop/tunetool as said above... once you got this working, then you can do it using V2 in BB mode (requires saving .tun file as .ctd from tunetool)... but lets take one step at a time.

ECM does have power on crank.
    If it doen't start, log the GM.VTD to see if VAT/VTD is kicking in.

Is your ECM a E38 or E67...?
    Last edited by joecar; September 19th, 2010 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 68problemchild View Post

pics here if you are interested..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41575483@N07/

Thanks, we're always interested in pics

Some questions/comments:
    - does radiator flow from top to bottom...?
    - P/N/backup light switch: watchout for header heat, the filler in the socket(s) on these melt (which glues the plug in the socket).

Geoff tcm.tun
    ECM is E38.
    ECM power all the time...?

Wiring instructions for the harness requested switched power for one lead.
    Ign power for another.
    Neither is hot with the key turned off.

The harness is custom from Current performance and has a start relay. The harness does have a wire going to the starter relay (purple). Not sure if this answers your question. From the current performance site:

"The Fuses and Relays for custom harnesses can come one of 2 ways. Either the standard separation of all relays where they are mounted in the engine compartment usually on the firewall or fender, or a compact OEM looking Fuse/Relay center where all of the components are in one central location. The fuse/relay center style is shown below. All of the fuses and relays are labeled on the underside of the covers just like a factory vehicle.

All of the Engine Management Harnesses come with wires that need to be wired in to the vehicle. Any wires that are loose are labeled and instructions are always included describing where the wires need to be connected.
    These wires may include:
    A simple 12V switched source
    Check Engine Light
    Speedometer
    Tachometer
    A/C Compressor
    Park/Neutral for ECM
    Starter relay signal
    Fuel Pump Power
    Brake switch signal "

Car is cranking (bumped it into drive by accident so that was one problem) but still no start.

I did reflash with Taz's recommended changes but no joy.

I do not know about radiator but you can see it in the pictures.

Here is the tranny file.

"If it doen't start, log the GM.VTD to see if VAT/VTD is kicking in" Sorry, don't know how to do this...

PS while cranking, no noid light coming from injector.

Appreciate all the help!!!
    Last edited by 68problemchild; September 19th, 2010 at 09:40 AM.

Lifetime Member

As I indicated in a previous post your E38 OS requires:
    • VATS patch applied
    • VATS Type 2 selected
    • crank relay current
    To enable an engine start. You are going to need the pinouts / wiring diagrams from a 2007 Escalade - to properly wire the crank (starter) relay current - monitored by the ECM.

Not all E38 OS systems require this circuit, but it seems yours does.

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....ght=VATS+patch

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....ght=VATS+patch

This may not have been explained in detail by your harness manufacturer, or your tuner, as there are many variations in the E38 from one OS to another OS - but it would seem that it remains to be completed to allow an engine start.

Regards,
    Taz
    Last edited by Taz; September 19th, 2010 at 10:05 AM.

Crank Relay current, eg like this?
    "At first I wired in the trigger from a Bosch 4 pin relay, about 80 ohms, it STARTED about one out of three times. The more resistance I added the more often it started. I grounded (yes, I was frustrated) the yellow/black wire and it fired up every time.

For goodness I wired in a 60 ohm resistor and it fires up 95% of the time."

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by 68problemchild View Post
    Crank Relay current, eg like this?
    "At first I wired in the trigger from a Bosch 4 pin relay, about 80 ohms, it STARTED about one out of three times. The more resistance I added the more often it started. I grounded (yes, I was frustrated) the yellow/black wire and it fired up every time.

For goodness I wired in a 60 ohm resistor and it fires up 95% of the time."
    Joecar kindly PM'd me to see if I could contribute. (spend way too much time on VATS no start stuff )).

EDIT: just realised all of the above was a "quote" from another post. The crank relay pin on the ECM may not be wired in on your Current Performance harness. This is the pin that looks at the relay current flow and says it is "there" and goes ahead with the start sequence.

The crank relay is normally fed from pin 67 of the ECM body connector (C1/X1) or on some ECM's it is pin 52.

The cranking relay current only needs to be in the microamp range so its just a trickle. You can either ground this pin, or.............

If you post up your engine tune, there is now a bypass calibration for this relay test (not sure if it is in the latest release) and I can add it in for you. Your choice.
    Last edited by gmh308; September 19th, 2010 at 10:48 AM.

Lifetime Member

Yes sir ..... in that thread the gentleman had an E38 ECM and a similar problem to you - no injector power. It seems he went the "trial and error" route - rather than scouring through a manual for a more precise solution - but he still got it running.

In the other thread ..... your OS is listed as requiring all 3 of the previously listed conditions to be met - for an engine start.

Regards,
    Taz

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast