Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Controlling Toyota's 2JZ with a LL8/E67 harness/ecm?

Default Controlling Toyota's 2JZ with a LL8/E67 harness/ecm?

Stand alone ecms for the 2JZ platforms are just too expensive IMO and I am honestly not interested in going through the learning curve of another tuning platform. Besides how cool would it be controlling a 2JZ with an E67 and tuning with EFILive??

I know I cant possibly be the first person to think of this but I am unable to find any info regarding the topic.

I am not asking how... but why couldnt it be done? Assuming you had the correct cam/crank reluctor/sensors in place - is there anything mechanically that would hold you back? Ignore the ETC, maf, map, etc.. for now - thats the easy part!

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    David
    '94 Lexus SC300 LY2 4.8, LS6 cam/springs, E38, LS3 MAF, LS2 intake, 88mm TB, 2bar MAP, T42/4L80e, mpt70
    www.terratraction.com/gallery

I would suggest it's possible if you could graft the right crank / cam triggers to the Toyota engine, that is really the deciding factor.
    The E67 would be the best option as the LL8 PCM isn't boost friendly.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

If you want to do this, dont use any ECM/PCM except the E67 (and T42 for auto trans, or shut it off). Seriously, dont even consider the P10/P12 for a conversion like this, they're so limited in capability its insanely frustrating.

If you can get the cam/crank reluctors to read the same as a stock LL8, you might need a throttle body off an I6 because everything is DBW now, other than that I doubt it would be very hard. I know there's another member on here who is looking to do an E67 swap on his BMW I6 motor that looks promising!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

E67 it is for sure... especially after reading some of your threads (ScarabEpic). I'd certainly run the DBW setup, its just too simple not to. Now... sourcing some crank/cam reluctor wheels and sensors. Erik - do you happen to have any service manuals that covers the late LL8s?

thanks for the help!
    -David
    '94 Lexus SC300 LY2 4.8, LS6 cam/springs, E38, LS3 MAF, LS2 intake, 88mm TB, 2bar MAP, T42/4L80e, mpt70

Lifetime Member

David, I dont have any manuals for the LL8 past the GM Techline software release in late 04. So nothing even covering the P12 PCM Im afraid, let alone the E67. I havent needed to purchase the factory service manual so I dont have it on hand.

I have wiring diagrams for the 08 E67 LL8 if you would like those.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

If you tell me specific vehicle/model/year and what diagrams/descriptions, I may be able to look them up.

Does anyone have or know where I can find detailed information on how the alignment is set on the cam/crank reluctor? Does the diameter of the wheel matter as long as there are 4x/58x teeth? What about the pattern of the teeth? Heh, is it as simple as setting the motor to TDC and making sure the sensors are aligned to the starting position of the wheel? (doubt it, but using it as an example)... Thoughts?

Thanks,
    David

Any new progress on this? was thinking about a similar situation with a '67 chevy 250ci inline 6.
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread if it's a dead subject.

Its far from dead!

I am well on my way - the motor has been out of the car, head was freshened up and reinstalled with a thicker HG to lower the CR. I am still in the build phase, currently working on my harness (converting an E38 to an E67) and making all of my runs to each component. I built a custom sheet metal intake so I can use a 90mm LSx ETC. All of the coils are in place and wired. I am almost done with the crank trigger wheel, it will be installed in the existing distributor housing using a Vortec pickup. I sourced a 58x wheel from electromotive and need to build a hub to mount that on the end of the crank.

Its been a slow process, lots of research, info is limited...

Things to do:

-Wiring, wiring, and more wiring...
    -mount crank trigger - which sensor to use?
    -mount MAP
    -determine MAF placement (pre or post turbo) or decide just to run SD. Slot style?
    -determine knock sensor placement and which sensors to use
    -determine nbo2 sensor placement (pre or post turbo) post turbo I cannot separate banks - what to do?
    -buy and wire up injectors
    -buy 4l80e adapter
    -4l80e wiring

There are many more things but those are the big items... any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks!
    David

Lifetime Member

So you're gonna run a 4L80E then? Id recommend wiring your harness like a normal 60/70E and then repin the wiring on the transmission end so you can run a regular LL8 I6 ECM OS and TCM OS.

I wouldnt worry about banks for an inline engine, they only run 1 bank from the factory (at least that Ive ever seen). The LL8 cal only has 1 bank for LTFT/STFT trimming and feedback. I dont know about pre or post turbo.

Id recommend a MAF, at least to begin with because it would be closer to a factory setup. But if you're comfortable with tuning SD then thats a option with less parts as well. With an E67 you're going to have to learn to tune the VVE if you want to run SD.

What injectors are you going to run, 60lb?
    Knock sensors Id try to use the same style as factory LL8s, I dont know what it is but that would make it easier Id think.
    ~Erik~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast