Thread: LS1 ECU question

Default LS1 ECU question

I am working on a custom project and would like to use '99-'02 LS1 harness and computer. The catch is that this is for a 4 cyl application. Is there any way to keep 4 cylinders from firing using EFI Live? I am not particulary worried about firing order because I can pick and choose what coils to hook up but the real issue is how to keep the computer from firing the remaining 4 which would cause a delay.

My reasoning for using the harness and computer from a LS1 is for its simplicity and it is basically the closest factory computer to a stand alone system.

The motor is a Ford Duratec (newer aluminum version) and T-5 transmission

Thanks for any input

Lifetime Member

The big problem would be in getting the crank / cam position sensors to work (i.e. - 24X and 1X signals). Otherwise, you could probably just not hook up the "extra" coils / injectors and it should work OK.

Right, and that was the first thing I thought would be the major hold up but I I was able to relocate a factory relucter wheel onto the crank pulley and use a factory 24x pickup. Don Kinder from Slowhawk Performance said the delay of the comp trying to fire the other cylinders may cause problems.

Lifetime Member

Hmmm you honestly are probably better off using an E37 or E67 ECM to control a 4 cylinder motor. I was thinking about suggesting a 97-04+ 4cyl PCM, but they're like my P10 I6 and a PITA to work with. The E37 is only used on 4 bangers plus the 4.3L V6, the E67 ran some I4s but mostly V6/V8s. Both can be run without a BCM if you apply the VATS patch, just like the LS1 PCM. But, I forget what input trigger the E37 uses, the E67 uses a 58x reluctor.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

Interested in a project like this... Why issues with the delay? all you have to skip is certain cylinders and that is it? Or am I mistaken?

Thanks
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Interested in a project like this... Why issues with the delay? all you have to skip is certain cylinders and that is it? Or am I mistaken?

Thanks
    It will be looking for the delay time between each cylinder and the missing cylinders nt firing will delay the time it take to see next trigger and think its a miss fire it will go int limp mode and start blinking he cel
    1972 Chevy Blazer, Twin Turbo Duramax 6.6
    69 Maro TT 427 LSX, Wayne due Vett frnt sub,
    Lateral Dynamics 3 link rear, D 60,
    T56, 18X10' 18X12 Boze Forged Speedsters,
    13" wilwood 6 pot fronts 13" wilwood 4 pot rears,
    (all Still under construction)